1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Procedure of making the tanjore painting board ..share it

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by arm, Feb 25, 2012.

1. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

I know I am very late as a few have already shared the procedure, but thought I would as well.This is the method I learnt and share with my students, but only a demo can be really educative, which I do.

Materials Required (for board preparation)

Jackfruit panel board or teak panel board is preferred, and the next best is waterproof and termite proof plywood.
    8 mm thickness for pictures up to 10"x8", 12mm for above .
    Thin card board sheet
    gada cloth-medium grained.
    Chalk power.
    yellow oxide
    Fevicol.
    Flat Brush (1" width)(squirell hair).
    Flat 2" --- " (for priming the board)
    Sand Paper (emery sheet-one coarse toothed and one fine toothed).

Board making:

Take the Plywood and soften the edges with sand paper.Cut a newspaper and the card board to the size of the board.Stick the paper and then the card board on the board with fevicol.

Take GADA CLOTH, remove the starch by soaking it overnight in water and rinsing it , in plain water.(Cloth size should be 1" larger than the plywood by at least 1 inch in all the sides.

Mix fevicol and water in the ratio of 1:8 and immerse the cloth in it for few minutes.Then paste it on the board smoothening the cloth over the board with the mixture for reinforcement, folding the extra at the back all around.Apply pure fevicol at the edges of the cloth at the back.Allow the wet canvas to dry on the newspaper for couple of hours.

Make a paste of Chalk powder and fevicol , 8:1, one pinch of yellow oxide and add Water to mix to thin gravy consistency, like thick dosa batter.

Take a clean wide flat brush (preferred size is 2-3 inch brush) Apply the second paste on the canvas horizontally and leave it for 10-15 minutes to dry. Then go for applying vertically. Repeat the same until completion of the layering paste. Leave it to dry in shade for one day.Repeat two times, making sure that every time the surface is dry and to sand.It helps the board to be very smooth, to sand in between coats.

10. Now take a piece of emery paper, and fold that as a longer stripe. Gently rub the canvas circularly. This is done for smooth even surface.Clean it with a dry flat brush.Smoothen the surface by rubbing it with a glass, by applying gentle pressure, which leaves a shiny and soft, smooth surface

2. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

Though late, thank you for the reply madam.I have few quiries
    What fevicol Doyou use Fevicol MR or Fevicol SH?.Approximately how Chalk powder do I take to make the second paste? " Repeat the same until completion of the layering paste" .Or How many times do I apply the second paste, vertically and horizontally .Where Do I use the 1' squirrel brush?

3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

I always use fevicol SH.Quanity of chalk powder depends upon the size and the number of boards you want to make.The repetition is mentioned so as to cover the whole board, that's all, may be till you don't see any brush stroke, and should be done quickly.1" brush can be used to apply fevicol at the back of the board while fixing cloth, and on the right side of a small board board while priming, since size of the brush to be used depends upon the size of the board to quickly applying the primer.If the board is very small, 1" brish will suffice, and bigger boards need broader brush.

4. kousalyagopi

kousalyagopi New IL'ite

5. kousalyagopi

kousalyagopi New IL'ite

Hi... thanks for the information. Can you please tell me the procedure for muck preparation. Thanks......