1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Procedure of making the tanjore painting board ..share it

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by arm, Feb 25, 2012.

1. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

Please can some one share the Step by Step procedure of making smooth and crack free tanjore board here .The type of board .. the cloth the gum the propotion etc .
    Any procedure which came out well for you.

2. CHABOLU

CHABOLU Platinum IL'ite

TANJORE PAINTING INSTRUCTIONS
    1. The board should be water proof and fungus proof and should be 6mm thick.(plywood)
    2 . The board should be cut leaving 1and a half inches all around for frame work etc. ie if the painting is 10*12, 11 1/2*131\2 should be the board size.
    3 with emery paper(120 no) rub the board on the front and on the edges-
    4 the board should be covered with marking cloth. It should cover the plywood and should be extra 1and a half to 2” on all sides.
    5. In a bowl add fevicol MR (easy flow) and add water to make milk consistency.
    6. Dip the cloth in fevicol mixture. Squeeze gently and paste it on the one side of length and one side of breadth. Stretch on all sides so that no folds remain and paste it on other sides also.
    7. take a little fevicol from the bottle and apply on all corners on the reverse so that the cloth is intact.
    8. Now take a little fevicol from bottle add little water and apply on the front side with hand .
    9. spread evenly and allow it to dry for a day
    10. After it dries use emery paper to smoothen the front side.
    11. in the left out fevicol and water paste add 1 cup of chalk powder( which is already dissolved in water) and 1 cup of fevicol. Ratio is 2:1:1
    12. Mix into porous consistency and with no12 flat brush mix the mixture thoroughly and stroke it
    Vertically lengthwise. let it dryfor half an hour under fan. Again mix the liquid and stroke vertically breadthwise. Let it dry. Repeat the process twice(length and breadth)
    14. after drying smoothen the board with emery paper and glass bottleor glass paperweight
    15. Now trace out the design leaving atleast 1” on all sides.
    16. tape the design on the top and keeping yellow carbon underneath trace the figure
    This was the guidance given by my my guru

2 people like this.
  3. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply both yashikushi and chabolu.. I have few doubts Madam chabolu.

"5. In a bowl add fevicol MR (easy flow) and add water to make milk consistency."

Will 1/4cup of MR fevicol do and I add sufficient water to make it milk consistency

"11. in the left out fevicol and water paste add 1 cup of chalk powder( which is already dissolved in water) and 1 cup of fevicol. Ratio is 2:1:1"

Here do you mean that if i have 2 cups of remaining fevicoland water in milk consistency remaing , to this I add 1 cup chalk powder and 1 fevicol. Thats is 2cup watery fevicol :1 cup chalk:1 fevicol.

So there I dont need Arbic gum to make the board?
    The fevicol i brought from india is fevicol SH. wil that do?

How do i use the paper weight or glass bottle?Is it before the board dries or after it dries Thank you.
    What will be the colour of the board at last ..white?

In some methods they have mentioned to use yellow oxide.. where do I get it ? Thanking you

4. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

The information Igot from an above site
    its almost same as chabolu madam's
    1. Take a clean cotton cloth.(Cloth size should be wider than the plywood
    at least 1 inch in all the sides. If your plywood size is 14 x 18 inches
    then your cloth should be wider than 16 x 20 inches)

2.Take the Plywood and soften the edges with sand paper.

3. Now let us prepare the first paste for pasting the cloth on the Plywood.
    Ratio – Water:Fevicol - 4:1

4.Filter the paste by coffee filter & Immerse cotton cloth in it for few minutes.

5. Now Lift wet cotton cloth from the first paste, rinse the cloth gently. Hold it for a while so that extra paste to get drained.

6. Now spread, wet cloth on top of the plywood and wipe the cloth gently from centre to edge horizontally & fold extra cloth to the other side.

7. Pull the folded extra cloth for wrinkle free surface in the front side and paste backside cloth strongly with fevicol only.Keep the wet canvas to dry on the newspaper for couple of hours.

8. Lets prepare the second paste for layering the canvas for this Make a paste of ratio Chalk powder: Water: Fevicol - 2: 1: 1

9.Take a clean wide flat brush (preferred size is 2-3 inch brush) Apply the second paste on the canvas horizontally and leave it for 10-15 minutes to dry. Then go for applying vertically. Repeat the same until completion of the layering paste. Leave it to dry in shade for one day.

10. Now take a piece of emery paper, and fold that as a longer stripe. Gently rub the canvas circularly. This is done for smooth even surface.Clean it with a dry flat brush.

5. CHABOLU

CHABOLU Platinum IL'ite

dear arm,
    you can use both type of fevicols. Easyflow one will be easy to operate. that is all. As Gita has said the glass botle should be smooth without any designs on it. It gives polishes effect to the board and makes it very smooth. Arabic gum is used to make the muck and also for pasting the gold foil. i have found that you have to be very careful in using fevicol to paste the gold foil. otherwise it spoils the gold foil.

regarding Yellow oxide, i have never used it. But while preparing mixture for muck work I add yellow ochre so that the work is visible as it gives a pale yellow colour to the mixture

6. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

dear chabolu
    Thank you for the reply.
    "11. in the left out fevicol and water paste add 1 cup of chalk powder( which is already dissolved in water) and 1 cup of fevicol. Ratio is 2:1:1".Did I get this right

Here do you mean that if i have 2 cups of remaining fevicoland water in milk consistency remaing , to this I add 1 cup chalk powder and 1 fevicol. Thats is 2cup watery fevicol :1 cup chalk:1 fevicol.
    Once again how do i use the bottle .. roll it or rub it on the board?All these doubts as i have not seen it being done
    Will a pinch of yellow oxide be enough?

So in your opinion its better to thick the foil with arbic gum than fevicol?
    Bye

7. CHABOLU

CHABOLU Platinum IL'ite

Yes you can add i cup chalk poder and is it ver thin you can add a little more. The mixture should be a little thinner than dosai mavu. The bottle should be rubbed vogorously from top to bottom with force. A little yellow oxice or yellow ochre will be enough. I have found that if by chance the fevicol touches the gold foil it gets white patches. The gold foil of Yashoda Krishna was pasted by me using arabic gum. But the gum should be filtered in muslin cloth and it should be thick and not watery

8. arm

arm Gold IL'ite

Thank you madam for your reply..I am planning to make board..I have just one doubt .. I dont have any mixed fevicol water left..after sticking the cotton cloth:drowning
    In what ratio do i mix chalk powder ,water and fevicol....for applying on the board with the flat brush(the thinner than dosa mavu mix):bonk

9. sap13

sap13 New IL'ite

HI everyone,
    I am not sure if this is appropriate to ask...I am sure it is very precious and I would understand if you all said so. I am looking for sketches of Krishna in tanjore painting style..I am finding only finished jpegs of tanjore painting but not sketches :(..can anyone help plz.