1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problems at Mom's place with younger brother

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 16, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

I am not bothered by small issues for my mother calls me and she wants to vent out but creates anger in me about my younger brother.

I have lot younger brother and sister both have been little irresponsible.

Now brother is working and living far away, but still dependent on parents. For his expenses my parents have been sending him money, booking his travel tickets, buying his smartphones. Normally he will not call home but for money he will and he visits home for 1 day, he will spend 3/4 day with GF he is having for 2 yrs,..I was so furious at his behaviour. He will not come home at 1AM and not pick calls, parents are worried calling everyone.( parents did not know about GF that time) or he will come home late night and leave..not talking to anyone. Parents worried he is into dugs etc. phone ringing & busy always hrs.

Then came to about about GF, none of us liked her and her looks. Mainly because of
    we had heard his calls, messages, love letters and her craziness and to top it all, stupid ness of brother. He started completely ignoring everyone else. Then he started shouting at dad/mom and all that. Dad will take him to 2-3 hrs away in city for his exams, but he will tell him to go back alone. ( he could see GF in same city). Many times he will take car to same city for personal work along with dad( dad also has work) and tell them to go back on own and did same to some family friends.

I literally started hating him. He has hardly been responsible to me but parents.

Few yrs after, he will call only to pressurize for marriage and meet girl.

Ok mom met her...she liked girl, not her looks but she liked her.

Dad had met girl for short while long before she became his GF. Added by brothers behavior, he did not like her and was "plain jane" for him. But when he forced and dad went to meet her in that city. He also liked her mellow and polite nature. so things progressed. Girls parents coming to meet parents (he is still away).

Now I am going to India with baby first time, and we have function at ILs for baby, lot of things parents have to do.

Many times GF parents call, parents for some reason, can not pick or can not attend calls or they forget to call back.
    Then my parents told them that they are v.busy ( because of me, panning) for any functions. But this brother is desperate and fighting on every thing.

Probably they want some ceremony while I am there but parents have to prepare, buy gold etc for her. I am going to be there only for week.

My parents talk to her parents, they talk to girl, girl pumps brother, and he fights here...Mother calls me to vent and I get all flamed up.. why this guy is not mature at all.

He has never in his life thought about his sisters. I know parents are to blame for this that he never became responsible. I tell me mother to talk openly to him also and keep a stand. Tell him to marry on his own and he is not the father of house.

2. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

sanju,...my brother is carbon copy of your bro....
    now he is married for 2 years and have chagnes a lot.kneesmiley

earlier he was same to same like yours and use to torture my parents and everyday there was fight between my father and mom..but i must say that i have seen my mother praying and thinking everytime positive for him. like he will change he will get mature and all and had faith on him. with time he got job in comp as HR and i dont know that job was reason or HR field was reason or my mothers wish was reason. but he started changing.
    you wont belive that during his marriage he made so much of drama and all and among all sister i was the one who did 90% preparation for all..but as of today i m his biggest enemy..:drowning

reason is because i always took my parents side and never understood him or his behaviour...the more i took my parents side the more he became adamant and my enemy.
    the reason behind telling all above is that you focus on your life and dont interfere between your parents and him. if he respects you and obey you there is point counseling him..if not let them handle in their way.

1 person likes this.
  3. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

What exactly is the issue you are facing now?
    Is it that your parents have to go through issues with your brother?
    Or has your brother done something to you?

I understand that you are pained to see your parents suffer. But there is nothing much you can do here, frankly speaking. Solely from what you have posted (not sure if other incidents have added to the frustration), I get the feeling that none of you have looked at things from your brother's angle, right from his GF days. Ok, he had a GF; can understand if your parents being Indian parents had issues about the fact that he had a GF during college. However, you mention that you all did not like her "looks." I mean, I have never understood why the PILs and SIL (to be) feel that they have the right to judge a girl's appearance. It is a relationship and not a beauty contest. So what if she looked like plain Jane? Your brother is in love with her. Perhaps your prejudices about her looks were not taken kindly by your brother and the girl herself. This might have caused her and her parents to become fidgety and hence they would have informed your brother when calls went unanswered.

Please evaluate the relationship between you and your brother, taking your parents and the fiance out of the picture. When was the last time you stood up for him or had a heart-to-heart discussion with him? You need not post the answers here, but please try to think whether you were there for him when he needed support, or when he was there for you when you needed him. Bringing other variables into this equation will prevent you from thinking objectively and might also spoil the relationship.

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Why in the world does how she looks matter to you or anyone else (other than to your bro)?

6 people like this.
  5. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

if your bro like the looks of his gf than you and your family should not have a problem with gals looks....
    how do u know tht gal is pumping ur bro for not picking up the call...
    if he is working but still asks for money from parents then its ur parents call to deny any money to him....if he says ur dad to go back alone and on his then ur DAD should have been strict with him....ur parents are enabling his irresponsible behaviour and somehow want to put the blame on his gf for his behaviour...
    even if the gal is pumping him still ur bro only is responsible for his behaviour not his gf....
    Saying no to bad behaviour only can stop the bad behaviour....and ur parents has to do it as they are at receiving end...
    and if you will try to be in between then may be u spoil ur relations with ur bro and ur parents will continue pampering him and then cribbing abt his bad behaviour....

6. sanjuruby3

How we know about girl pumping?

My Brother is away..Things happening parents and her parents are updated to him by his GF orcourse. Small matters like GF's parents called my parents, but he did not pick up or returned call, GF's parents want to come to parents house at some specific timing per their schedule, and my parents telling them they are busy at this time, ( plus mother has to cleanup house, cook etc, shopping for me going home) with me coming, eating veg - non veg issues.. wow. But thats normal I think. I would have done same plus its matter to stress for everyone.

About beauty of G, I knew I would get this reaction from people not reading full post.
    When you come to know about GF from FBs love lorn poems, heart-candy pics, messages, your son/bro acts weird, does not care about anybody else, without looking at girl you start hating her. Then without meeting or having any relationship we first judge from looks.

Parents did not like her when they came to know about her but once they met her, they liked her polite nature. I have not met her yet but I do not care. But I do hate my brother for doing so many things to hurt my family, because he is immature.

7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

may be thts y inlaws hate their DIL from very first day or may be before marriage...but it doesnt make the thought process right...

8. sanjuruby3

I am actually okay with everything ...its his life and I do not want to interfere at all.
    But its my mom who calls me to unload herself and I come here to unload myself. Now that my parents have liked her and are ready, my mother is calling me to buy gift for her from US. Wow....

9. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

OP you need to teach your mother how to say no and be firm with your brother.Hating his gf is not solution.
    When people are in initial phase of love they are on cloud 9 .They forget everything around them.It happen with everyone.Dont hate your bro for that.