1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem With Younger Cosister

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Trustcarelove, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Not trying to justify co-sis behavior..

But y is everyone talking only about the co-sis & not the bil? Is it because she is a woman & certain things are expected from her & he is a man so he is excused from kitchen duties?

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

And while suggesting the above...tell BIL "Oh this mom and pop bagel shop near XYZ..makes the beeeeest bagels and has such nice cream cheese options...can u please bring a dozen ..."
    seriously don't discuss menu options with guests. Just serve ..ur house is not a restaurant. I only ask about allergies nothing else.
    I had a guest many years ago ..who insisted that we must have paruppu thogayal to go with poricha kootu or kotsu/avial for pongal ..the list was endless...I smiled the first few times ....and then the third time collected my wits and said...sure I would love it ...would you like to use my kitchen...everything is labeled and it should be easy to find ur way around...if you cant find something just holler I will be around... ....flashed my bright JAG smile and left. DH who fuming all this time (he was raised to eat whatever is served ) was tickled. Told me I should have done that the first day.
    Try it ....its soooooo worth it.

SGBV, MNR, Amica and 3 others like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No, it is not because kitchen work should be expected only from women.

The bigger problem here is guests who stay often and not helping at all. That needs to be fixed. And the start to that fix is that the co-sis start to help the lady of the house.

Why only the lady of the house and co-sis should do the kitchen work, is a separate discussion and problem. When guests are visiting my house, my aim at that point will be to make my work lighter, not to address gender inequities. Which means the female visiting helps me with whatever I am doing. The man helps my DH with whatever he is doing. All of us need not be in the kitchen! Shudder!

TrustcareLove, we have successfully hijacked your kitchen.. ooops your thread! :)

4. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

I agree. "Guests" who r frequent visitors should pitch in. But what I see is BIL is excluded from "guest" and focus is all on sil.

I wonder if unknowingly v r passing on centuries old gender bias beliefs.. Maybe this is y in Indian families female-female relationships are so difficult to maintain

5. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Exactly Jazmine83....this is how a MIL behaves with the new DIL...as the MIL would have done soo much of work when she was a new DIL herself and would compare and impose the same on new DIL with the same mindset..

23 is still young in my opinion and the marriage would have happened around 21, which is like "fresh out of college" phase. I think OP needs to give some time to her co-sis.

Also, I feel OP is trying to keep her H\in-laws happy and hence going an extra mile. co-sis is just going with the flow..and I dont see any issue with co-sis, except that she is little lazy. But a 10-year age difference between co-sis and BIL might add something to the scenario.

blissofmylife likes this.
  6. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

Ok yogirl, I may be acting like MIL to a new DIL. If it was my MIL in my shoes my cosister would have been in India with her parents at her parents place, not enjoying the luxury ...

Ok let's come to this, we went there once for a weekend to their house. If she was a host in their house.... she insisted me to go serve good for breakfast which of course I didn't do... of course I helped in cutting for the lunch... husband n wife cooked lunch... I was feeding my 3 yr old... she ate and went to nap...again for dinner we both together made chappathi's ,,, she had soemthing going on with her husband, she went to the room and shut the door ....I ate again by myself n slept...what do u say abt this behavior???

Yes she was doing her 2nd yr of college when she got married , of course I know very well she was not forced into it...

And btw 23 is not young , I was married when I was 21 after I finished my college.. I never stayed in hostel or don't know to handle anything at home or even cook.... but I have never behaved anything like this...

The pbm here is not just cooking or serving or cooking many items ,,, it's just basic thing ...

There is nothing to please my Mil or my husband bcos they both know how I take care of guests and how I handle....when I said about the age difference btw my BIL and cosister , ''me n my husband are 9 yes apart

She is just living in fantasy world, I just wanted her to come to reality

SGBV likes this.
  7. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Ladies here gave wonderful suggestion. Now it is you to act upon, the early the better.

I agree we should not expect help from guests.
    But a frequent visitor i,e. weekly visitor is not a guest
    A person who stays a more than a day or two is not a guest.
    They should also share the workload, because they are giving more work to you by their frequent visitor.
    Prepare simple dishes, try to live with bread /jam or corn flakes , even dosa for all the days, no special food even for you people. No substitutes nothing.

If indirectly hinting is not working out better tell them in open. No remorse, no guilty feeling. you should be bold and confidant tell upfront, looking at your H's eyes.
    Tell " See I am really getting tired, cooking 3 meals a day for 6 ppl , after a hectic week and I am not getting any help from anyone. even I want to rest. If anyone wants anything else you people are free to cook and dont forget to clean the mess later."

8. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

I agree, BIL should help too. but OP's H is will not accept that.

And this gender bias not only India everywhere in the world. even in western countries cooking is mostly done by women

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  9. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Telling directly is best solution.

Madhumagie likes this.
  10. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Rihana,
    There are few out there with these exceptional abilities.
    Our neighbor , working woman, manages kid without a maid . Not even a washing machine. Every day she washes the complete set of clothes. Her husband's only help is to get the kid ready in the morning.