price comparisons

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Abu Dhabi' started by Ruhaanee, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Hi Everybody!!!

Do you compare prices of the groceries you buy from different places..

Recently I purchased Udit Dal/Mash Dal from LULU khalidya and it was AED 9 per kg, When i went to Mina Market at Emirates fruits and vegetables it was only AED 7 per kg...
    Same thing on Toor Dal a difference of around 1 AED....

Have you ladies ever compared prices to see if we are buying right...
    I always assumed LULU was right option but it seems like some places can be more economical...

Please post if you have any other better shopping options

Regards

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Hai Ruhanee,

We were in Dubai for 15 years.

My wife is an expert in this. She would say certain things are to be from Carrefour, some in Lulu, some in Sunrise, some in Al Adhil, some in Spinneys, etc.

You may have to find it by experiencing. She was very right & had proved it umpteen times.

At times if she asks me to get something I go to the nearest one & pick everything from there. Still she tolerates me, that's the beauty. :)

3. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Hi all,In the Emirates fruits and vegetables,the dal etc is kept in the open without any packing.( it was so before two years.dont know how it is now.)Several times many of our friends have seen rats running in the premises.Things must be cheaper because of this.The additional charges by the supermarkets must be due to the package charges.Also we must consider the rent given by these outlets.Hence the price hike.

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

.I find Carrefour,Lulu the stocks are fresh .Some of the products are quoted more and some are quoted less in both the shops.I never go to nearby small shops as they always charge more and they have old stock.I go only if it is really necessary.In bigger shops you have more choice.

5. ranjuz

ranjuz Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I also compare rates... As said we cannot choose a singe supermkt for all things... Certain items will be high priced in one, but the others will be low... So we hv to decide...
    I go to K.M.Trading, Lulu, Carrefour.... Have not yet gone to the veg market...

6. sumisen

sumisen Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    You are right. And the quality of the product also differs. Like for urad dhall sometimes you dont get enough atta after you grind it. The one in AD Coop is very good than the one found in flour mills. So I never buy from Flour mill for the Urad dhall, But if you carefully see the package where there is price difference you can find the size and quality of the Dhalls ( specially dhalls) different and the price also.

For Detergents like OMO, Ariel etc, we get nice offer prices in big stores like carefour etc, rather than in small shops.

But it is like a hobby for me to compare the prices and go for the shops to get things from respective shops.
    Happy shopping!!:thumbsup
    sumisen

7. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies for your FBs

Hi sansam!
    The dals are still kept in open, just like a typical grocery store in India.
    two years back when i went to Emirates Vegetables i did see some infested Dal there, so never made purchases there..., but this time the Dals did look clean
    i was amazed to see such a price difference.

Thanks everybody for your feedbacks, specially about the quality of the dals.

it really takes a lot of time to go price comparing, i am forced to do most of my shopping at LULU khalidya Mall due to time constraints.

Regards