1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Presto/IMUSA® Pressure cooker US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sami388, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Sami388

Sami388 Junior IL'ite

Hi
    I am looking for a pressure cooker
    in USA. anyone have experience with Presto/IMUSA stainless steelor some other brand. also want to know its work like a india style pressure cookerwhistle.

http://www.sears.com/presto-4-qt-stainless-steel-pressure-cooker/p-00893956000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00893956000&pla=&kispla=00893956000P&mktRedirect=y
    Please advice and share your experience .

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

All the American pressure cookers, to my knowledge, have the whistle that you have to time....they don't go off like Indian whistles. They work fine but in a different way. Presto is an old and reliable brand. Prestige markets the brand Manttra here in USA and they have the western whistles. I bought the Indian whistles in India and swapped the whistles out as the pans were identical to the Indian marketed ones.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have a Presto 4-quart stainless steel cooker. It does not whistle like the Indian cookers. You have to let the steam build up and then let the weight rock for the desired time for whatever you are cooking.
    It works very well for steaming vegetables, daals and beans.I use a rice cooker for rice.

4. tashidelek2002

Do you find that timing your cooker is more or less good than the Indian whistles?

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@tashidelek2002
    I got the Presto because the Indian cookers have always made me nervous, so I don't have much experience using them. I follow the instructions for cooking times in the booklet that was provided and it works well.
    My mom was initially biased against the Presto, but once she got the hang of it she uses it happily during her visits.

6. Sami388

Sami388 Junior IL'ite

I bought pestro pressure cooker 4 quarter & whistle don't go off like indian cooker before I open and cook anything in it like beans, daal( lentils) I want to know that how do I know my food is cooked as unlike indian cooker there is whistle in it.

7. tashidelek2002

There should be a book with a chart included with the pressure cooker. From that you find your item or you find something that would be similar in cooking terms. They will give you the time for that item. Get the cooker going and it will start hissing when you reach pressure. From there you have to time it by the clock.