1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing For High School Education In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by WINMEENA, Mar 2, 2017.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I can somewhat relate to this..will write more later. Take this with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

Many years ago a girl got into Cal Berkley with avg( B?) academics .

The story goes that she wrote an essay detailing how she achieved proficiency in the Indian classical dance art form -Bharatanatyam,..the years of grueling hard work and discipline needed for it and that supposedly clinched the deal.

The fever of arangetrams or entry into stage has been raging since then in the US. We now have Vocal and Mridangam Arangetrams which were never heard of.

On an average 300 arangetrams happen in the bay area alone in the peak season. No longer do u need 10 -12 yrs of rigorous training ..u can get an arangetram done for ur kid in 3 yrs or less . Bottom line its no longer a distinguishing trait. Your application will not stand out.

As my friend says (after spending $50,000 on it) ...no one cares a rats ass about it :) Pardon the language.

Pursue an art form only for the joy of it…or anything for that matter..robotics ,science, math ..do it because u want to do it ,...because it challenges u and takes u to the next level. Dont do it because it will make ur application stand out…or because colleges expect it . No one can predict these things… . The disappointment that comes when u realize that the years you spent in pursuing something u never really cared for much didnt really matter in the long run is just not worth it.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

That's true, it is far too common to have the same types of extracurricular activities in college essays, and this is not just for Indian students. I might confuse you even more, but its not about the content, but rather they way the HS student conveys their experience. It's not about the big words or the flashy places the student has gone, but the confidence in how they portray that aspect about themselves, and how it shapes them into the applicant they want in their school. It is a quality of taking a generally innocuous event, and bringing forth a perspective that showcases the student's personality and strengths. (i.e. waiting in the backstage before a bharatnatyam performance. describing the energy around and in the person; watching a person select an used piece of clothing, describing one's humility and understanding that material wealth is less important than making a positive impact in someone's life)

It's easy to write an essay about someone else, but when writing about oneself, we get a bit bashful and understate our achievements and unintentionally use self-derogatory humor to make it more comfortable for oneself. The college essay is not a place for that, and requires confidence. Make your child practice writing about themselves, and about what they have done for the community. It is a great skill that will make them excel even beyond college.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The above is true, but the question is about a child who is involved in an Indian activity, does very well in it, and likes it very much. Is not in it with just college admissions in mind. What can such a child do in that activity to stand out, to shine, and to have material to talk about in college essays.

I gather you are saying do any activity just for the pure love and joy of it. I am saying - how can child's interest and achievement in the activity be also channelized towards college admissions.

4. Rihana

Good points.

Very true. Writing about themselves and their contribution to the family, neighborhood,community is a great skill, and never too early to start practicing that.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

No clue. Unlike western classical ..where there is a more formalized and recognized path (violin..first chair /second chair in a reputed orchestra or levels in piano..) there isnt one for indian art form.
    The abuse of arangetram term has left some really talented kids short changed. But it is what it is...if I do think of something will post in this thread.

PS: I still feel kids should pursue music seriously...the discipline and precision of thinking needed hones their young minds in ways we never imagined.

6. Rihana

I want to stay away from general philosophy about participating in EC's. That is easy to find - pursue your passion, go deep in one or two activities, don't be jack of all, show commitment, etc. Here, my question is specific to children who are in Indian activities - how to stand out in them.

I have no first-hand experience, but seen some Indian kids do these:
    - dance: teach dance in the summer to younger kids, raise money
    - organize an event related to one's activity. Usually doing it for/with a non-profit.
    - write a blog. Or create a youtube channel

BhumiBabe likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

Teach. Children who completed the arangetram are technically allowed to teach. Let them choreograph for others or arrange a musical group, so show that they are actually utilizing their skills.

Bal Vikas? Language classes? I have seen some kids become mentors or teaching assistants that support younger children.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    sindmani and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

Yes, they should. Pursuing any form of music has impacts that are lifelong. They learn discipline, they learn to appreciate any music, and they even learn to appreciate life better.

9. BhumiBabe

10 years ago, Youtube was baby, and having a youtube channel to showcase your talents would never have cross my mind, but that's an awesome idea.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Most colleges have a dance department. Kids send out tapes to the dance department for an endorsement. Tape from arangetram is what they send.

Also most reputed dance teachers have their kids perform in a lot of local and national events. Some of these National
    Events honor the most talented kids and groups. The really good kids perform
    Solo events. They do mention all this in their application to the dance department. An endorsement from the dance dept is considered good for the application.

Shhhhh. It's a secret. Im not supposed to tell you guys all this.

No idea about music but I'm sure it's the same thing.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    justanothergirl and BhumiBabe like this.