Preparation For Ivf...buddies Join Me

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by msms, Jun 21, 2016.

1. msms

msms Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot @Agony your post has filled a positivity in me, which was actually lost. what is AFC? I will see if i can take second opinion. My earlier doc had put me on metformin but this one ruled out that no pcod is there. You know 2 years back i was going to one doc, she did two iui for me. At that time i asked her to do amh test. she refused by saying that you are produci g follicles every month so no need. I wish it was done that time, at least we could have saved our time:(. DH is also upset. We are doing what best we can do..rest is god's wish.
    @jillcastle welcome dear. I will be with you in this journey. We will be emotional support to each other. So gear up!

2. vanicha

vanicha Silver IL'ite

@msms

above 1 till 3 ng / Ml is in normal range as per my report i took .....so don't worry....ovaries plus was given to me as well for increasing egg count...so go ahead with tablet if u want more follicles for ivf and you are normal in amh :)

msms likes this.
  3. Agony

Agony Gold IL'ite

@msms

AFC is Antral follicle count.
    On day 2/3 of ur cycle , which is considered the best time to check , the doctor does a transvaginal ultrasound and in that they check the resting follicles in each ovary.
    This is a better method to measure the ovarian reserve.
    AFC gives an idea of the egg yield if stimulated with medicines.
    I think normal AFC is around 15-25, which is the total of both sides.
    If AFC is less than 4 ( that's less than 2 per ovary) it's categorised an low/poor responder and the chances of success in IVF would be low.
    I would still suggest u to take a second opinion while ur on this break for 3 months.
    All the best ..
    Prayers with u dear .

msms likes this.
  4. Agony

Agony Gold IL'ite

@msms

Not all doctors do an amh test.
    They believe what they see on an ultrasound more than a lab report . AMH test has a lot of flaws. It should be done from a good lab, it could vary in cycles..
    So doctors prefer checking the AFC , that's like the best way to assess the ocarina reserve along with the age of the patient.

So don't worry that ur doctor dint push u for the test. Probably ur AFC was good and she didnt find the need to send u for the test.

I think u should discontinue metforim if there is no PCOS .

Ask husband also to take some folic acid & anti oxidants for 3 months.
    Both of u do yoga if possible ., or work out / go for a walk in the park .
    I would suggest doing yoga too..

All the best !

msms likes this.
  5. PurpleSS

PurpleSS New IL'ite

@msms
    for egg quality you should include more protein in diet, morning have green gram sprouts / 2 eggs and milk.
    Avoid coffee and Tea.
    AMH depends many factor like AGE, pcos , side effects of some genetic disease medication etc...

msms likes this.
  6. msms

msms Gold IL'ite

@vanicha According to your lab report above 1 is normal? According to my lab report that comes in low fertility. Normal starts from 3. Very strange to know that range itself varies. Thanks for sharing yours.
    @Agony Yes now i understand why she dint push me for that test. I think AMH is of concern only if we have to go for ivf. For natural conception it doesn't matter. As only one egg is enough in that case. Both the doctors have diagnosed different problems me. I don't know who is correct...anyways these medicines will bring down my prolactin and increase the ovarian reserve..so therr is a hope.
    But i have a doubt. we are born with some number of follicles and from that reserve...some mature every cycle. Then how medicine will improve the reserve? New follicles will not be formed right? I may be stupid to ask this...please correct me if i am wrong.
    @PurpleSS Thanks for the info. Will implement the suggestions.

7. Agony

Agony Gold IL'ite

Yes ur right we women r born with a fixed no of eggs.
    But what is believe is there r cases of premature ovarian failure (POF) where the woman's ovaries ages prematurely, like before 40 and the ovaries do not produce normal amount of hormones and does not release egg.
    In that case , the eggs degenerate or die due to multiple reasons.
    Basically all these tests like AMH n all where to determine the ovarian reserve n rule out POF.

Now coming to ur doubt, no it's not a stupid question :)
    I think the DHEA creates an androgen friendly environment thereby recruiting more follicles in a given cycle and it seems this DHEA improves the quality of eggs.
    Iam not really sure ..
    Correct me if Iam wrong.
    All the best

28neha likes this.
  8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Msms,
    Amh is not the only measure to ring bells. Count on your AFC too.
    I will write little of my story to boost you up. After the frozen ivf cycle failure, we decided to give larger change to our life style. We had lot family based trouble by then too. We decided to give 3 years break. We moved to new place and we both started working. Till that I left job for treatments. Around 2 n half years we decided to check our fertile conditions and start treatment when we are back to our place. Froze on a new ivf center where less crowd and more doc attention was given. When I was checked, my amh was too low. meanwhile his parameters improved because of reduced stress. I took tablets for 3 months to improve the amh and started ivf around the 3 months end. I had decent follicle growth by then and things turned out well in the end.
    Now I have second one growing... Where is the amh parameter now? Things will go and come based on your own conditions. Our stress really plays a significant role in all these. Stay stress free. Stay blessed. I believe this part in my life.

PS: I had high prolacin as well and took tablets for few weeks even in the first pregnancy.

9. msms

msms Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Vasumathy for boosting me with your story. Really inspiring! Even we are also thinking that we will not think about ttc for these three months and will go on a vacation to enjoy this time. We want to be stress free. DH is ok but at the back of my mind ttc stays. No matter what I do...it will pop up in between. We were not prepared for ivf. I understand that nobody wants to take that route. But if that route brings our LO in this world..then nothing better than that.

Agony likes this.
  10. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

We have also planned to take a vacation in September. This will be our first vacation in the US. And we are planning to do IVF in the next cycle. I am not sure if it would help, but we really need this break. I hated checking every month if I am pregnant or not.

@msms Even I feel I am not completely ready for IVF. But I have always wanted 2 kids. So I keep thinking to myself may be this is God's way of granting me the wish, twins chance is higher in IVF. I know with twin pregnancy everything is hard, but this is the only way to keep myself positive and not getting scared of the IVF. I am already 33, I keep getting this feeling if I dont have twins in my first pregnancy, may be my kid will never have a sibling. lol I know I think too much, less work at office, so brain starts planning for the next 10 years! ;)

BTW, I got a new offer and a pretty good hike in salary. Looks like God is opening the doors one by one. :)

Stay positive msms. Who knows, we may end up in the same due date club too.Stickiest baby dust to all! :)

subashini07, 28neha, ashima10 and 2 others like this.