Pregnant with pcos

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Catgol, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

i have pcos and m recently pregnant m about 5 and half weeks pregnant.. dear friends i have a doubt so please give me your valuable comments..

1. Does pcos cause pregnancies with chromosome abnormalties?

m asking dis because earlier i had a miscarriage because of chromosome abnormality but i had my and my husband's karyotype tested and both is normal

2. i started with metformin only about 1 and half month back and i got preggie immed , so does dis increase the chance of chromosome abnormality?

m so worried abt dis current pregnancy so pls do send me your replies?

2. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

Hi Catgol,

Conceiving may be harder, but you have the same chances of having a healthy baby as any person without PCOS.
    But PCOS'ers tend to have higher rates for miscarriage than non-PCOS'ers. And then once you survive the first trimester, many PCOS'ers tend to develop complications such as gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia.But its not for all....its a general statement...
    Dont worry...a women with pcos can definitely can deliver healthy babies..there ia actually nothing to worry...Since even i have pcos, i am prescribed to take duphaston tablets till the completion of my first trimester...just to be on the safer side...also had hcg shots twice a week till my 9th week...just now stopped hcg shots...but still continuing duphaston...
    This is what.. heard from my gynaec....
    Hope that helps!Wishing you the BEST! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

Once preg, pcos patients have equal chances of safe pregnancy and delivery ! Don't worry ? Did you conceive through any ovulation trigger or on your own? Let your gyn know about your pcos and she will probably give you progestrone supplement for first trimester to support pregnancy. That should solve the problem as far as I know.my best advice would be to see gynacegologist as soon as possible.

4. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

hey catgol...

i very well understand your tension. i had the same, as even i have pcos.

my main issue was, if it was ok to continue with metformin. but my doc had advised me that continuing metformin upto the first trimester will actually reduce my risk of pcos (though it isnt a guarantee! but does reduce the rate of miscarriage by a certain percentage)...

in my 7th week- i had slight spotting and on my way to the clinic (i kept cursing myself that all this is happening becoz of my health and stuff) and thank God- i have a good dnothioc. she told me that even ladies without pcos do spot at times in the first trimester and it is very normal. and she had put me on duphaston. i had also asked her if the baby will be at any risk because of all these medications and she had assured me that, "if some birth defect is to happen, like a normal pregnancy- that can happen. but just because i am taking metformin and duphaston- nothing will happen to the baby. but metformin will help with the hormones and duphaston will support the uterus"...

i had done a NT scan in my 12th week and the results were good and now will take an anamoly scan in 2 weeks.

i have a friend who is 35 weeks preg, again PCOS and had taken metformin and duphaston and all her scans are normal and baby is just fine.

i know it is very difficult to remain positive and not think bad (i have sailed that boat too)... but trust me, pray good and everything will fall in place. you and the baby will just be fine. i am sorry about your miscarriage, but then its is the past and it will be smooth and beautiful for you and your family...

meanwhile, if your doc has suggested bed rest and any other precautions- do follow them them well. eat healthy, take care good care of yourself. you and your baby will be just fine and great :)

1 person likes this.
  5. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

i know pcos as such is a condition that we need to take some extra care of- but we are very normal like the other ladies. i have my cousin (who doesnt have PCOS) and still lost a baby because of some chromosomal abnormalties. my point is, such things can happen to any normal woman and our pregnancy is no different (just a lil extra care required and that comes with a lot of pampering from the family!!!)

so enjoy your pregnancy

6. ladysunshine

ladysunshine New IL'ite

Hi to all IL's...

I am suffering from PCOS and wants to conceive...is it possible to conceive naturally than by taking any medicine??earlier also i had stillbirth baby in 36th week.blood tests has been done and all tests are normal,baby was suffering from diaphragmatic hernia. i really don't want this to happen with anyone but help me out if anyone else has also experience this. Please reply.

7. happyn25

happyn25 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,
    I know n feel what ur talking about.
    I lost my twin babies at 20 week. They had complications due to placental insufficiency.
    I read about link between pcos and placental insufficiency n more so in case of twins, plus pcos women tend to have issues like gd n bp during pregnancy , hence we have to monitor these things during pregnancy and talk to our dr about it

8. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

happy to inform you all that my son is almost 10 months old and he is hale and healthy