Pregnant But Bad At Cooking ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by EagerForInfo, Jun 17, 2016.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

hello

Im pregnant now but I am bad at cooking and in the us with no help at all. Can anyone give me advice on how to manage ? I'm looking for caterers nannys etc but can't find any! What to do. I am cooking but can't even eat my own cooking now (of course I couldn't eat even before I was pregnant )

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Your honesty is so cute ! i would suggest salads with good dressing along with nutritious veggies and fruits .will do wonders for you .its pretty easy to make them plus they will be super healthy for you.

Indian food are messier and you need to make with lot of concentration/handwork to get the taste, you can start with easier one like Poha , idlis...something simpler. with practice you can make that eatable too :)

search some good cooking websites and start with easiest recipe.with time will come confidence.

Wish you a happy and healthy 9 months ahead!

jskls likes this.
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about chappathi and onion ritha? I hope you might not mess with it.
    Check cooking websites. Follow it fully for a while.. Then you can do it on your own. Go for simple cooking in the initial days.

Or ask your spouse to learn too. He can help you in last stage of pregnancy and post delivery.
    All the best to the adventure.

sindmani likes this.
  4. tcbhuvana

tcbhuvana Gold IL'ite

Try bachelor recipes available on various sites.. that are easier to prepare and with experience u will learn more dishes..

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Congrats and have a safe pregnancy. Wish you all the best.

Check what is spoiling your cooking? Is it the ingredient or is it the measurements? Try buying fresh groceries/ spices from different store. As Ashima mentioned eat plenty of Salads fruits and you get precut ones too to minimize your effort. Don't go for prepared or frozen foods. Try Sandwiches. it's easy and healthy too. You can make it with roasted veggies/ spicy and see website for recipes. There are local bakeries that bake good variety of breads fresh and find out what is near you. Check Sulekha dot com to find home caterers in your area so u can take out once in a while. All the best.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. piya3

piya3 New IL'ite

Cooking is not rocket science. If you follow a recipe to the tee, anyone can cook.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And then the kid(s) come along, and you worry that OMG your cooking is what they will remember as mom's cooking. :anguished: But time enough to worry about that, first you have to feed you. :sunglasses:

Try this book: The Roasted Vegetable: Andrea Chesman: 9781558321694: Amazon.com: Books It has simple recipes to bake vegetables in the convection oven. The recipes are so simple, it is hard to go wrong. You might need to buy a few ingredients not in your kitchen cabinets, such as olive oil, and a few spices. But, once that shopping is done, it is quite easy. Chop the vegetable, spread it in a baking pan or aluminum tray, add the olive oil and spices, put it in the oven. Stir a few times.

I've tried it for many vegetables, and perfected it for cauliflower, french beans, asparagus, bhindi (okra). Especially for bhindi, has been a life saver. I sometimes bake the vegetable till almost done, and then saute it in pan with a little oil and Indian tadka and onions.

Cuts down on the cleaning of kitchen, counters, vessels, and non-stick pans. I believe our electricity bill went up... On presented with this factoid, I took it as a compliment. :smiley:

shobhamma likes this.
  8. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Congratulations first! Have a happy pregnancy and be a good mom!
    As Piya3 points out cooking is not rocket science.

Now why is your cooking bad? You do not like cooking or cant follow recipes? ( I had both problems)

Today websites are many apart from books to help you out.
    At my time tarla dalal was the life saver - all her measurements were perfect and a dish came out (mostly with me) edible!
    The other was I hate to Cook book by Peg Bracken! simple fast recipes.
    Simple one dish menus like Khichdi, Pulaos, Soups are really fine.

And of course encourage your husband to cook along!