1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and relocating to USA!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vidskris, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vidskris

vidskris New IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    IL and its forums have helped me in making a lot of decisions! Many thanks to all members contributing and sharing such valuable information.
    I just discovered that I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby. My first kutty is 16 months now. My DH is being given a good on-site opportunity to relocate to New Jersey. This sudden discovery about my condition and this chance has made our decision making a little more difficult.
    I badly want to experience my pregnancy with my hubby as he was away most of the time during my first. So, I am quite sure that I want to go to US with him or he reject the offer now hope for some better ones later. If we said a YES, we would be moving my MAY, where I will be about 5 months pregnant.My concerns are:
    1.Google tells me that an L2 Visa for a preggy lady is possible. Any first hand experiences here??
    2. How long will it take for me to get insurance done and meet the doctor for regular check-up?
    3. Any other issues that I must consider?

Thanks in advance. Looking forwards to some pointers and advice! :)

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi.. I am not sure about the conditions.. but some basic things which usually goes are, you can travel until ur 6th month.. certain airlines allow even 7th month... take your regular check-up records, try getting in touch with some hospitals on your husband's coverage list on insurance, when you are still in India.. You will be asked for a complete health check up report to get insurance and you then get it very quickly(Master health check up to be done in the US, once you are in the city).. As far as I know, you need to choose a doctor from your husband's medical insurance list and register yourself... And get a good pediatrician.. Your gynecologist should be able to help you with reference to pediatricians, once you land there...

And to add a personal concern, start getting friends as soon as you land there because you wont get much help alone.. And days after your 7th month definitely needs people around you, if you dont have our parents with you...

And as you say you have a 16 month old kid, you need to look for a day care center around your area.. so that the kid doesnt feel alone wen the sibling is born... There are a lot of ILites in Jersey... They should be able to give you details about day care centers..

I have a couple of friends in New Jersey, though they are not in IL.. If you give me a message on private message board once you enter Jersey, I will try to help you out with their numbers so that you dont feel alone or without idea of what to do...

3. stork82

stork82 Silver IL'ite

Hi vidskris,

Congratulations on both...the pregnancy and the US trip! :) I was in the same boat as you, last year. I traveled when I was 7 month preggers, and it was a smooth journey. US is known for it's pain free deliveries, and I have had a first hand experience in that regard..So, don't even think of rejecting the offer. Besides, having a US citizenship for the baby has it's perks, if you plan on staying here for long.

Here are my answers to your questions..
    Yes, it is possible! I know of cases...However I don't have a first hand exp here, as I did not travel on an L2.

This step takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.You WILL need to keep yourself prepared for this. If your hubby is traveling before you, ask him to start the process as soon as he lands in the US. The hospitals here have a system in place, so it DOES take some time..

Remember to carry a fitness certificate from your ObGyn in India, clearly stating that you are XYZ months pregnant and are allowed to fly. Double check to see that the certificate mentions that you are xyz months pregnant as on such and such a date. If that date is not called out in the certificate, the flight attendants could cause problems.

Feel free to pour in any more questions/concerns you have. The previous poster has given you good details on the other important stuff too...Good luck with your move! Have a healthy and happy pregnancy!

1 person likes this.
  4. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

I was 5 weeks pregnant when I relocated to MA with my DH...it took us almost a month and a half to get our health insurance in order and have all the tests done! So you will have to be prepared for a wait...I suggest you get all the check-ups done before you leave India and carry the test results with you, although you may have to repeat them here. Good luck!

5. ssravula

ssravula New IL'ite

Hi CJ,

I am in a similar situation; will be travelling to US in 2 months time and by that time I will be 4 months preg. Pls guide me on this. Which insurance provider should i approach that covers preg after i reach there...Location would be Charlotte, NC.

Thank you !!!