1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant And No Maternity Insurance In The U. S

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by priyanka009, Jun 14, 2016.

1. priyanka009

priyanka009 New IL'ite

Hi All,

With blessings of God, I am currently pregnant (after trying to conceive for a long time!). Me and my husband are very very happy and excited about the pregnancy.

But we just realized that the insurance I have from Obama care does not cover maternity. My husband's employer (who is a consultant) did not include me in the health insurance plan and we ended up in this mess. I have been searching a lot for info about enrolling into a good pregnancy insurance plan now, but in vain!

We cannot apply for Medicaid or other government insurance plans, because my husband's income is higher than their income limit.

Was anybody in my situation? Can you please guide me about the options that might be open for me now?

Would really really appreciate your advises! Just getting nervous as well (thinking about the expenses in US).

Thanks a lot for taking to read and respond!

2. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

Hi Priyanka,
    Congrats on your pregnancy.

As per my understanding your husband should have enrolled you in the health insurance plan.
    The employer is not responsible. You can ask your husband to check with his employer or the insurance company if he will be able to add you to the insurance plan that he is having.

By the way are you not covered by any health insurance now?

Will check with few people and try to give you some more suggestions.

Hope you find a solution soon.

3. priyanka009

priyanka009 New IL'ite

Hi rcvmegas,

Thank you for your wishes! Normally, dependents will be added to the husband's health insurance plan. His employer kept postponing adding me to my husband's health insurance and we wanted to have some insurance (better than having NO insurance). So, we ended up taking short term insurance from Obama Care. At our first obgyn appointment, we realized that my insurance does not cover maternity. Would really appreciate, if you can take time to check about this and provide me some guidance. Thanks a lot once again!

4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Priyanka,
    Congrats on your pregnancy!
    I believe your husband has to add you to his insurance when he first starts in the new company and during Nov- Dec (according to the insurance) you can change your priorities like add people or change the type of insurance from PPO to HMO or other way round.
    Firstly- See if your husband can get company insurance to cover him n you. Ask him to talk to HR, they will help him out.
    Maternity without insurance is real scary in US.