1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

preethi mixie - stops when grinding idly batter - urgent

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by lakshmit, Apr 6, 2009.

1. PremiSuthan

PremiSuthan New IL'ite

Hai
    the same happend to me when grinding the idly batter..i m using preethi ecoplus which i got from india..its a preety new one which i bought in nov 2009...i left overnite the mixie and morning i started using it it is not running..the power is on and the mixie is not running...what can i do..

2. seethaj

seethaj New IL'ite

we are having the same problem. But overload button doesnot seem to be working. we are trying even after 24hrs of no operation. please help

3. tlkalpananj

tlkalpananj New IL'ite

Lakshmi, Same happened to me when I was grinding idli batter today. Mine is not working after waiting for 5 mts. It is a brand new mixie which I just purchased from a Preethi dealer in Chennai on 22-Nov-2012. I am real disappointed and am looking for a local dealer who can fix it in NJ. Kalpana

4. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

mixie/grinder these days don't last beyond 4 to 5 yrs... gone are the days when our mom and grand mom used a mixie for 10 or 15 yrs.

The same thing happened with my Sumeet mixie which was hardly 4 yrs old, when we had taken for repair they said that the motor had gone. Inspite of replacing the motor and spending a huge sum on the mixie, I was unahppy with its performance and finally had to settle for a new one.

5. spm1

spm1 Senior IL'ite

I know it is kind of late to answer this, but those who are looking anew for a solution to this problem might find this helpful so writing my experience. I also brought a Preethi mixie, 110V from India and in less than two uses of about 5-10min it stopped. I searched everywhere for a solution and even called service center in Chicago (yes, there is one in Chicago, IL) and finding it difficult to go there and get it repaired, I dared to open it.

I am glad I did as I noticed a connector wire (with a plastic seal/insulator) is burnt. It is a simple fix and I cleaned the burnt part and carefully exposed the wire a little bit more and connected it back to the other wire as it is supposed to and put the insulator back in its place. I started the mixer and its working now :)

I have been using it for several months now since I fixed it to make dosa batter, chutneys etc and it is still working. So I think this is the problem most of us had with mixer not working after few minutes of usage and even the overload button not working. Try this and let me know if this solved your problem.
    Happy Cooking!

1 person likes this.
  6. Happy2013

Happy2013 Silver IL'ite

Thats a useful information. My grinder is also not working. I might also try something as such the warranty is over now

7. spm1

spm1 Senior IL'ite

Hi Happy, Let me know if it works... I was really frustrated when it happened and when I fixed it successfully on my own, I felt so happy that I am spreading the word :)

8. jinglesmohan

jinglesmohan New IL'ite

my preethi mixer stopped too. its 5 years old.I had no clue wat to do trying to locate the overload button on the 110 volt model only in vain. luckily saw the fuse button near the kitchen sink ,that probably went off becoz of the overload in the small mixer cup. fixed it and was greatly relieved to find it work again !

in most cases, while grinding a batter it stops just like a vacuum cleaner that runs for more than 25 mins on a stretch because of the heat that builds up in the motor.It springs back to work once the motor is let to cool down for a while.

my sister in law used to put melting ice cubes for grinding idly batter to avoid the heat build up, worked for her!

I was googling to find a fix and landed here:) ,thought someone else could find it useful.

9. mageorge31

mageorge31 New IL'ite

To all those people looking for an answer for getting their Preethi mixie repaired. I bought the mixie from East West USA Stores in Edison NJ. Now that store is closed and my investigation lead to their online store in California. They have asked me to mail the mixie to thier address to get it repaired.

I see that many people mention some contact they have managed to find while searching, but nobody has put in those address or phone numbers. Just to be of more help, I want to put in the complete address and the phone number. They seems to be the US service center for Preethi products.

East West USA Store
    1046 E. El Camino Real,
    Sunnywale, CA 94087

408 261 3003

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. smruthyu

smruthyu New IL'ite

The same thing happened to my mixer too. In many cases, due to overload the fuse trips. The fuse does not seem to be of a good quality so even trying to reset it by pressing the button at the bottom does not help. The fuse needs to be replaced in this case.

Its a 4Amp fuse and I saw some listings on amazon and ebay in USA - So try to order it from there (about $10). Its easy enough to replace at home once you get the replacement fuse. This is probably more efficient than shipping the entire mixer to East West USA or taking it to India.

Another suggestion is to buy a couple of extra fuses initially itself while purchasing the mixer in India.