1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Predict Lines and Seating at Starbucks

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jul 5, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Back in school I took a course, "Modeling and Simulation".

It was interesting and for a project, we had to create a program that simulated customers going to the grocery store, and predicting the average time it took them to come in and come out. We had to set several variables such as the number of shopping carts available, the time of day, etc. Actually, my memory is kind of fuzzy on the details, because I took this course nearly 10 years ago.

Just now, I was able to grab coffee and get an available seat at Starbucks. I have noticed that Starbucks are more crowded at some times than others. Even 2 minutes can make a difference, as well as the day of the week, and the weather.

By now, I can determine instinctively when is the least crowded time to go. I know I have to leave my office at a certain time and even a delay of 2 minutes will give me crowded lines that snakes out the door, and uncomfortable bar stool seat. I would say that I'm accurate 98% of the time.

It would be really really really awesome if someone can create a program that accurately predicts when the lines are crowded, and when someone is most likely to find a comfortable seat.

This program would be for one particular Starbucks. Another Starbucks would have other variables, for instance, if the Starbucks is located in a college-town, a bustling metropolitan area, a beach boardwalk.

Anyway, I'm just happy I got my coffee quickly and am sitting comfortably while typing up this blog entry.:coffee

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Z,

Finally you got a very good coffee.Prediction can become true only to a certain extent. If the star bucks are near college surely it will be crowded and you cannot predict the person come in and going out.Now a days all the places are crowded only whether it is holiday or not.

3. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

LOL

Just now, Starbucks cleared and it is quieter...