Precautions to take while vacating rental house

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Aadumom, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Aadumom

Aadumom New IL'ite

Hi All

I am living in a rental house & planning to vacate it in some days
    I need kind advice from the people over here on below issues

Brief idea on which condition we got hous e:
    When the house was handed over to us it was not even broomed , forget about new paint & floor cleaning and all .
    Prior to us bachelors were living there , so the whole garbage was spread in all rooms , Drink bottles , etc ...
    It was a dirty place , no body might have planned to step in . But as gfor us it was hardly needed so I accepted to clean it & done so . Timely I have repired all damages including fan repair , tube lights repair , replaing chokes , repairing the damaged pipelines .

Now when I amplanning to vacate , the owner is asking for the painting , floor cleaning (polishing ) painting with "patti" and so more .
    Till now we have expended a lot money on common charges such as , motor repair , E bills , etc . Within 6-7 years stay the owner did not bothered even to paint a house a single time .

Pleaes advice me , is it correct from owner side to ask for paint , floor polish etc charges . Appreciate early response .

thanks

2. Karthik12

Karthik12 New IL'ite

Usually in Chennai the owner has to paint the house before letting for rent for a new tenant. If he does that then while the tenant vacates the house the owner will charge for painting expense. This does not include the charge for applying "Putty".

Case 2 - If the owner paints the house during your stay at his expense, say once in 2-3 years then he can charge you while you are vacating.

In your case, you didn't receive the house newly painted while occupying also the owner didn't bother to paint during the 6-7 years tenure. So you don't have to pay for the painting expense while vacating.

This is what i know and not sure if there is any other practice followed.

But just check the agreement you have signed weather its mentioned or not.

3. Aadumom

Aadumom New IL'ite

Thanks Karthik12 .
    As per the agreement nothing is specified related to it .
    The owner is just following what his friends (so called builders ) suggesting him
    I am not sure why these ppl didnt advised him the same when he gave the flat as rental to us .