1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Practicing Caste System In Own Kitchen?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Rihana, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

:clap2:. The old lady is similar to my granny.

Amica likes this.
  2. Nylaa

Nylaa Silver IL'ite

This, exactly.

I agree with everyone who has said that caste-based discrimination is unacceptable and that "old age" or "orthodoxy" does not give one license to practice it nor give other others license to ignore it.

I feel that the friend with the problematic MIL should address the issue (respectfully, of course) and explain to her MIL why her discriminatory behaviour makes her uncomfortable (if, indeed, it does). I understand wanting to maintain a cordial relationship with one's MIL but this sounds like an issue that will resurface in the future when her MIL visits again. If she's unable to have such a discussion and must tolerate her MIL's behaviour for whatever reason, I think it's best not invite friends over.

I would have done the same thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable "helping" my friend indulge her discriminatory MIL. I'd also question the character and integrity of a "friend" who asked such a thing of me rather than standing up for our mutual friend. You can be certain that such "friends" wouldn't stand up for you if you needed it.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all, for the thoughtful responses.

I was thinking about it past few days. The point in one of the responses summed it up - concessions, even illogical ones, can be made for older family members, if all are making the concession. Only some having to do so is not good.

I don't know why I thought it to be OK. I was likening it to how in my house in dinner parties, some of my close friends have implicit permission to go to any room including the master bedroom/bathroom. This is from a while ago - but example stands. If a lady needed a blanket for a sleepy toddler, and I was busy, I would tell a close friend of mine where to find it rather than tell the lady who needed the blanket. My close friend would go get the blanket. This hierarchy would be obvious in the party. I would seek and accept help from close friends, urging the others to relax and enjoy company in the living room.

But yes, hierarchy based on how close the friendship is cannot be compared to a caste based one. The not-close friends have a chance of one day becoming my close friends.

Once again thanks for all the posts.

noire, sindmani, Agathinai and 2 others like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And so the curtain comes down on this interesting thread!

Agathinai and Laks09 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.