1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Power

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sashmitaa, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi friends

Two years back when our house construction was going on to dealwith the contractors and some papers my husband gave power of attorney to his sister. She is unmarried then. But next year Jan she is going to get married. Tillnow everything went right. My doubt is, is there any possibility of changing the house to her name.

pl suggest
    Lakshmi

2. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,
    I'm no qualified legal advisor, just sharing my experiences / knowledge. The Power of Attorney is a very powerful document in the wrong hands -- we had a very very bitter experience :evil: :evil: & now all relations with my husband's siblings are totally cut off !! So better be extra careful, rather than being tormented for life. In such matters better to rule with the head , not the heart , however close / loving/ trustworthy the person may be.

Has it been mentioned by your husband that the P of A will be 'exclusively' for the construction purposes -- there are many types of P of A , esp. general ones with no specified time limit is the worst trap to get into ! Has the house been constructed now -- whose name is the property deed registered in ?? Surely you would've had some legal consultation done before handing over the Power of A to her -- that same consultant can advise you now ?

Just last year we sold a house of ours, by giving a P of A to the buyer itself, because we just couldn't travel to India during that period. But we made sure to include all the clauses with respect to time frame, purpose of the P of A was elaborately specified including what the buyer cannot use the document for . After our experience, a cousin brother of mine has refused to give P of A even to his own Father !!!! and insisted on coming down from USA, just for 2 1/2 days to sign & finalise a land purchase ........

So check out with your hubby / lawyer etc. If you need any more details I can ask my hubby.

Regards.

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sashmitaa - Kurunji is right - it all depends on how broad the POA that you gave your SIL is. Please do consult a lawyer before you have any problems - maybe you never will but you never know.

Shobana

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi laxmi,

It all depends on the clauses, you have included in the poa. consult a legal advisor on this and do it before the last minute, so that it also does not hurt your sil sentiments as it could turn ugly later.

5. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Kurunji,

Thanks for ur explanation on POA. will talk to hubby about this. This is a serious one to be discussed with. Thanks shobana and shanthi for your suggestions.

regards
    Lakshmi