Pournami - Full Moon Day Pooja

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Muthuraji, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILites,

Anyone who does any special pooja for pournami, please do share the same so that it can be known by others who doesn't have a proper idea as to how and what to do.

As tomorrow is pournami, I thought we can understand the same today and start the pooja by knowing the proper procedure of the same. Also tomorrow being Friday, we can start the pooja.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014

2. sriramtt

sriramtt New IL'ite

Re: Pournami

Count me too
    I'm In

3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Ya, we do pournami pooja. Tom being friday more good to do. Evening time only this pooja is done. We do it by chanting lathika sahasnamam 1008 names........
    and use all colors of flowers both red and white......

End it doing kumkum archana.... Also generally milk payasam is prepared for nievatham.
    We are following this method only....End the pooja with a magalyam or aarthi.....

1 person likes this.
  4. Muthuraji

Dear Vanivyas,

Thank you for giving the pooja detail you follow. Will try to do that.

Also, some other who are doing any other special pournami pooja please do share.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Raji,

I thought i answered this question.. sorry.

i do pournami pooja..rather satyanaryana pooja at home. tradition followed. i don't do vrat because that is too elaborate has lot of strict rules. i pray to satyanaryana and lakshmi and do sheera neivedyam. (either sojji which is made of rava similar to kesari without color or a wheat flour based halwa). i also read the katha and ashtotram. people usually fast on pournami and eat only after seeing the moon. i don't fast for poornima but i eat only fasting food.

We are a group of people who chant slokas in the evening. pournami we read abirami anthathi.

Reading bhuvaneswari kavasam is said to be good on this day. pournami is celebrated grandly in bhuvaneswari amman temple in adambakkam. 7 weeks visiting and offering garland is said to fulfill your wishes and i am sure you know that.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

now this post is separate because i don't want you confuse between the two. this month pournami is special being magha pournami. it is said you should take bath early in the morning and think of samudra snan and vishnu..offer your prayers to vishnu stating that with this bath you are asking him to remove all your sins and ill health. just saying om bhavathe vasudevaya is more than enough. triveni sangamam, rameswaram, all are crowded on magha poornima.

apart from this if you have a vana devatha as your deity, this poornima is a very special for vana devathas again parvathi amsas.. many tribal people celebrate magha maghi (as it is called) .

Even guru is prayed on this day..

P.S. magha magam (nakshatra) that is tommorrow is also important for ambal..

1 person likes this.
  7. Muthuraji

Dear Shanvy sister,

Thank you for sharing the information.

8. Muthuraji

Dear Shanvy sister,

Are you a resident of Adambakkam. I am also. Please do share your details separately, if you wish to do so. My mother also joins in the group prayers.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

raji,

this is for you. my pournami pooja and lalitha devi pooja.. 2014214103429.jpg 2014214103445.jpg

the ambal in red dress is devi sitting on srichakra. and the blue is lakshmi i worship as lakshmi for poornimas and navarathris..and ofcourse satyanarayana.

i forgot to get the flowers..i used up all yesterday being thursday and completely forgot to get some for friday.

i have used cheppu coins for archana for satyanarayana, and lotus flowers for both ambals..

4 people like this.