1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Issues With Late Marriages

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pocahontas, May 3, 2019.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

So, what are the (potential) issues with late marriages?
    I realise this is looks like a "survey type" question - I only ask because I will be 36 and I am being arranged - have been for some time. Now, I do not have any experience with romantic relationships and now, i am a little worried about our future together, when I do find my better half. I am a little unequipped here.
    I understand that with late marriages- you do not get a lot of time to know your spouse/ you aren't growing with him as an adult, people are already set in their ways, there are physical challenges as you may not have a lot of energy (this may be different for everyone - I personally feel I have a lot more social energy now, but I was physically more active in my late twenties), there is pressure to make babies as the clock is ticking, etc.
    What more would you add to the list?

Not all of these are necessarily bad, I think I am a better version of ME at 35 and I am a lot more comfortable being myself.
    I just think that I will be able risk mitigate better if I know what else to look out for?

2. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Try not to be set in your ways like "my way or highway". You both are wiser and can make a more meaningful relationship. Time ticking should be something you have to discuss and accept, so it does not become a thorn in your marriage.

pocahontas and anika987 like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Reading a few of your posts from earlier, I understand that you are financially an asset to a marital household.
    1. What if a merger with you is considered for its financial (cost sharing) advantages, and you get civility rather than affection from an arranged marriage ? Would you be OK with that ?
    2. What if you are advised to ignore the ticking clock, and all of the consequential mess, expense, and heartaches that follow in raising a child, and that advice happens after the marriage ? i.e. How important is having a child in your life? Arranged marriages often involve trap and switch schemes.
    3. You mention "no experience with romantic relationships". I took it to mean not having any experience in "relationships that include routine physical intimacy". In such a case, would it bother you a lot if the arranged prospects have had some/more/considerable experience on that score ?
    4. I'd add that it is best to expect a scheming/calculating/pragmatic merger, and therefore do a thorough due diligence on the matter. Sorry for the businesslike M&A terminology; however, that is just what would happen in an arranged marriage at any age.

4. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

I am big time anti arranged marriage.
    I have seen so many stuck in arranged marriage wishing they had known this person, their family before hand.

At 36 its better to date for a year and see wavelength match, physical intimacy, habits, balancing work and spouse, planning finance/trips/events etc, conflict resolving mechanisms, how both bounce back and strengthen bond etc

In arranged marriage both show best behavior and always surrounded by family who cover up negatives. One on one time will show maturity also

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The only major problem I noticed in late marriages are..Infact it is not necessarily a bad thing..

You both are evolved and have your own sense of who you are and might not be flexible and more stubborn.

At the same time,you both are more matured minded and be more of support to each other ,not being too dependent and be more of friends.

As for kids,I think physical,patience,emotional and financial depends from person to person.I feel I have more patience after 30 and more focus also as a mother.

6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Can I tell you what I think are the benefits of marrying late ?
    I have never felt more comfortable with myself as much as I feel now in my early 40’s . I feel confident, very secure, clearly know what I want and definitely know what I don’t want. I assume at 35 you are there already . Isn’t it better to start married life without any stars in your eyes ? The rose tinted glasses are probably chucked away by now so there is less room for disappointment.
    The only issue I see is the biological clock ticking and the rush to have a child sooner . But that might not be a bad thing if both you and your partner want to have a child together. Children do strengthen marital bonds in most cases.

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

8. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

Biggest issue is pregnancy and child birth. It can get tricky. This is the only absolute...
    Other than that everything is "it depends on you two". Oh, and be prepared for some baggage on the counter-party.... By mid 30s everyone has some mental baggage regarding opposite gender. One way or the other. But nothing that cann't be dealt with.

pocahontas likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@pocahontas :
    finding embedded responses within quotes is a tough thing to do. but... never mind.
    Experiencing some "romantic relationships" is not a bad thing, so long as you can get it and be safe. Have you seen this, and other posts in that thread ? Perhaps there is something over there for you.

pocahontas and yellowmango like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@pochahontas( these are some of my worst fears!)

You can safe guard yourself.
    Financially.....keep all investments ,assets earned before marriage on your name and nominate your parents.
    He can do the same......most likely has done the same.
    Nomination can be changed when one is sure and it is reciprocated from the other side too.

Be clear about what the financial arrangement will be post marriage.

Economic security is one of the pros of getting married late and you should hold on to that .

As for affection.....there are no guarantees...but one can try some giving . Giving generally should result in getting some....
    Hope you get lots of it .

As for the second point....you should clearly talk about your preference with him with regards to babies. The decision on having or not should be same for both....but when ,where etc should belong to the mother as she has to do the hard work of carrying and having the baby. Be upfront about your choice.

You have a lot of positives going for you.
    You are far more confident,independent and secure going into this marriage than most younger women.

Choose the honeymoon location which has something for both or better still ,someplace you both are excited about.20 year olds can spend the whole honeymoon between sheets but others will want to come out for some air...:)

Best wishes!
    Keep us posted :cheer:

Last edited: May 6, 2019