Postpartum Changes Women Go Through From Emotions,family,relationship With Husband And Body

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by blindpup10, Jul 11, 2016.

1. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Dear blindpup10,
    I wonder how much more pearls if wisdom you have with you. Owe you a lot for educating in such detail. I am making my cousin( also pregnant ) read your posts. "Thanks " is a very minute word to express. Please continue to enrich us.
    Thanks dear Bhanulakshmi.
    Regards,
    Cliona

blindpup10 likes this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@cliona
    Thanks for the compliments. I am glad this thread is helping out.

3. blindpup10

Women’s Body-

After the delivery, there will be many changes- as I have mentioned I had C- section. I had 2 complications by the time I delivered. One is Gestational Diabetes (GD) other one is cholestasis. Because I was on the low carb and high protein diet, my liver wasn’t producing enough digestive fluids for both my baby and me. Cholestasis, made me itch my palms and feet. I remember waking up at 2 am itching and my palm and feet. Both palm and feet had turned yellow like I had jaundice. Cholestasis happens to 1% of the women population. Not a lot of women go through this.

After a quick blood test, I was put on a medication to help my liver cope. By the time I had Cholestasis diagnosed through the blood test and medication happened I was well into 36th and I was told I will be able to pick a date to go through a planned delivery. So, I gave birth at 36th week. It is still considered full term and my baby wasn’t considered preemie.

My OB had told me to be mentally prepared for a C- sec way before (around 20th week), because I am petite. For some (not all) petite women C- section is the only option because the hipbones are way too small for the baby to come through the birth canal. After the hospital admission on the picked date, my water was artificially broken and given medication for the contraction to build up. After 36 hours of facing contraction and the baby hadn’t made the slightest movement of coming down through the birth canal. My OB said its time to consider C- sec.

I got admitted to the hospital on a Saturday and my baby was born on a Monday. So my OB patiently worked with me on giving me enough time for the natural birth.

If you are in the US and take birthing classes, the nurses explain explicitly about how birthing process/women’s body goes through while giving birth naturally and through C-section.

Things mentioned is what I went through, for my body type it may or may not happen to you.

First 6 weeks after giving birth

· As, I had C- sec. I didn’t have perineum soreness. If you give natural birth, you will face soreness/ pain from pelvic area, vagina, hips, back, tail bone.

· Cramps- I had cramps. Cramps happen because uterus shrinks. I was given a postpartum belt to wear at the hospital. If you are given a belt, please use it. It helps tremendously for your belly to get back in shape.

· Vaginal discharge- Even C- section causes vaginal discharge. It will continue until 6 weeks approximately. Your nurse will talk to you about this before you get discharged.

· Breast engorgement- Breast will fill with milk. This process can cause pain. The only way for the pain to decrease is to breastfeed or pump.

· Nipple pain- After few days of breastfeeding the baby, the nipple may get sore. Have a nipple cream on hand. I used Lansinoh nipple cream.

· Swelling- Hands, feet and face swell. Face and hands won't make a difference, eventually, the swelling goes away. However, for swelling of the feet, I was told to use a pillow to put my feet while I slept. This really helped me.

· Constipation- I suffered from constipation throughout my pregnancy and constipation of the worst kind continued after delivery. Because I had C-section I was given Oxycodone. This narcotic specifically increases constipation. As I had no clue about this at the time, on the third day after being back from the hospital. I had so much of gas I was struggling to even pass the wind my stomach began to hurt, real badly. The only way it reduced was after I used Glycerin Suppositories. After using suppositories for the first and last time I was terrified of constipation/ gas becoming a problem. I took Colace after every meal and drank oma seeds boiled in water (more than 4 times a day). This helped me quite a bit.

· Urinary problem- As I had C-sec I was put on a catheter for the surgery. After the surgery, whenever I peed it would mildly burn. It wasn’t for too long. And moreover I was on Oxy, so it wasn’t a big deal for me. However, if you feel this pain… please drink a lot of warm water.

· Sweating- Some sweat after giving birth. But I had C-section and I was cold. I had 4 heated blankets covered. During the surgery, I was given morphine and epidural and after the surgery- well into that night I began to sweat and itch. The itching after the delivery isn’t because of my complication Cholestasis, its because of morphine in my system.

These are some of the body changes that happen eventually-

1. Hair- Hair will grow so beautifully for 5 months after the delivery. OMG!! I have never had such beautiful hair in my entire life. After delivery, my hair was super thick. This super thick hair was for 5 months and before it falls. I still suffer from dry hair. And I am told that right around 12-month mark after giving birth my hair will get back to its original essence. Crossing my fingers for that to happen.

2. Always Cold -I was cold all the time. I live in Cali, where October is still pretty warm and I was always wearing booties/ sweater. Do whatever your body wants you to do.

3. Cold feet- My feet were especially cold. I had hiking socks and booties. Sometimes I had to have the space heater on.

4. Skin discoloration- From 4th month of pregnancy to an entire year after giving birth. The skin discoloration exists. I am 2 shade darker. I am told eventually I will get back to my original color.

5. Stomach changes- I had been carrying a baby around 7 lbs. It's not easy for my stomach to transform into what it was before I conceived. It takes time and pleases wear a girdle after delivery for your stomach to get firm. If you are already using Bio Oil, you may have minimum scars, if you are not using bio oil during your pregnancy. Please use it after the delivery. It works miracles on scars. My stomach is firmer than it was 9 months ago.. I also do abs exercises every day.

6. Back Pain- It is common for new moms to have back pain. Especially if you had the natural birth. Use hot water bag.

These are some of the body changes that happened to me, or I am aware of. If I have missed anything. Please feel free to contribute or add to this thread.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. vanpan

vanpan New IL'ite

HI dear Blindpup
    Again must have to say ... Very Nice Info ..There is nothing to add by me. You wrote each n everything correctly..Just want to add one thing.. Due to constipation n dryfruit laddu(dryfruits powder +ayurvedic powder(used after delivery ) I m suffered with piles... drink lots of warm water n mostly take liquid diet..means Don't eat dry food.

blindpup10 likes this.
  5. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Hey @blindpup10 ,

Thanks so much for your posts in this thread. I plan to make a document from your all posts in this thread so that I can read , re-read when I need it, hope it is OK with you.

6. blindpup10

@vanpan- thanks for the suggestion. I never knew dry fruit ladu is the cause for constipation! Those dry fruit ladu's are so yummy!! My mother made me drink warm milk along with ladu's.

7. blindpup10

This is my DS schedule tweaked a bit to fit my everyday routine. This may or may not work for you and your baby. I am just sharing my routine/ everyday schedule.

I partly formula fed/ pumped. I knew exactly how much quantity of milk my DS consumed. DS consumed somewhere between 4-6 oz
    Babies from 0-3 months ( if they don’t get colic) don’t do much. They might be awake for 45 mins max in between their nap time.
    Give or take half an hour around this schedule. This is the schedule for most of the days, however, there would be odd days. Things make start half an hour early or half an hour late.

6:00-6:30AM- First feed/ nap

6:30-7-30AM- Prep for breakfast/ takes a shower

8:00AM- 9:00AM- Finish up with breakfast.

9:00AM- 9:30AM- Second feeding.

9:30 AM-10: 20AM- Walk/ Baby would have slept during the walk.

10:30 AM-11: 30AM- Snack/ Prep for lunch/dinner.

12:00 AM-12: 30AM- Third feed/nap

1:00PM- Finish lunch/ rest

2:30PM- Get the bath for the baby ready.

2:30 PM-2: 40PM- Baby Bath

3:00PM- Fourth feed/naptime

3:00-6:00PM- Rest/Snacks.

5:30-6:30PM- Play with the baby for a bit/ fifth feed For some reason babies are fussy from 5:30ish until 6:30ish. I usually planned around it meal time.

6:30PM-7:00PM- Dinner (I eat my dinner early)

7:00-9:00PM- Rest/Skype/talk with husband

9:00-9:30PM- Sixth feed

10:00PM-Get some sleep

12:00AM- seventh feed

3:00 AM-Eighth feed

This is my DS schedule tweaked a bit to fit my everyday routine. This may or may not work for you and your baby. I am just sharing my routine/ everyday schedule.
    I partly formula fed by DS, I knew exactly how much quantity of milk my DS consumed. DS consumed somewhere between 6-8 oz
    Infants from 3-6 months will be much active, they have to get tummy time/ start to pick up toys. Get rattles, that they can hold.

MY DS Schedule 3-6 months

4th month is a bit harder, coz they go through sleep regression. From 5th month my DS cut out the third nap.

5:30-6:00AM-Wakes up/ keeps babbling in the crib. I used to turn on the Musical Mobile on the crib.

6:30- First feed/ sleep

7:00-9:00- First nap time

9:00-9:30AM- Second feed

9:30 AM- 10:20AM- Walk

10:20AM-11:00AM- Sleep

11:00-11:30-Third feed

11:30-1:00- Second nap

1:00-1:30PM- Fourth feed

1:30-2:00PM- Activity chair

2:00PM-3:00-Tummy time/fifth feed

3:00-5:00PM-third nap

5:00-5:45PM- Bath prep/ bath time/ tummy time

5:45-6:30-Sixth Feed

6:30-9:00-Sleep

9:00-9:30PM- seventh feed

9:30-12:00- Sleep

12:00-12:30AM- Eighth feed.

12:30-5:45 AM- Sleep.

My Schedule Around Babies schedule 6-9 months.

I am just sharing my experience. This may or may not happen to you. I partly formula fed by DS, I knew exactly how much quantity of milk my DS consumed. DS consumed somewhere between 8 oz
    Infants from 6-9 months will be much active, they try to crawl/ may try to stand up.
    8th month is a bit harder, coz they go through sleep regression and they will be teething.

MY DS Schedule-

5:30AM-6:00AM- Awake in the crib/ talking babbling.

6:00-6:30AM- Wake up and place him in the activity chair

6:30-6:45 AM- First formula feed

6:45AM- 8:00- Activity chair/ rhymes running

9:00-9:30AM- feed solids to DS

9:30AM-11:00AM- 1st naptime

11:00-11:30AM- Second solids lunch

11:30-1:00PM- playtime

1:00-1:30PM- Second formula feed

1:30-3:00PM- Second naptime

3:00-3:30PM- Third solids lunch

3:30-5:00 Playtime. At 4:30Pm he usually gets cranky (sometimes needs extra formula feed)

5:30 PM -bath time prep

5:45PM- 6:00- bath time

6:00-6:30- Third formula feed

6:30-7:00- Storytime along with bedtime

My Schedule-

6:30AM- Wake up/ feed the baby

7:00-8:00Am- Coffee time/ Prep for breakfast (hard boiled eggs)/Prep H’s lunch (salad)/ Prep my DS solids.

8:00-9:00AM- Exercise

9:30-11:00PM- Finish up breakfast/ prepare for dinner/ one household chore.

11:00-1:00PM- Play with DS

1:30-3:00- Rest if possible or one household chore ( if I didn’t get to do earlier)

3:00-3:30- Feed DS

3:30-5:00- Playtime

5:30-6:00M- Get ready for bath/Bath/ Feeding

6:30-6:45PM- Storytime/ Finally to bed.

7:00-9:00- Dinner/talk/TV time

10:00-My bedtime.

I do one household chore during the week-

Monday- Change bed sheet

Tuesday- Wash all the towels/kitchen towels

Wednesday- Keep the bathrooms clean

Thursday-Laundry

Friday- Kitchen stove/ microwave

Sat/Sunday- No household chore.

I run Roomba every day between 7-9AM.

8. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Wonderful..... me need this now again.... was searching for this post.... brings tears

blindpup10 likes this.
  9. blindpup10

Hi Cliona- how are you? How are your children ?

cliona likes this.
  10. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi blindpup10.
    Staying at home with a small 7.5 month baby and no mental stimulation and only baby chores... very tough. Although this time i don't have PPD......but mood swings are there ..... Due to which frequent fights with mother inlaw...... Yesterday,it reached peak.........Went and joined off yoga. Now feel better. This post is helping me a lot..
    Thanks dear,

Cliona

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    blindpup10 likes this.