postpartum andhra foods

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sslkgpaa, Jan 28, 2015.

1. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

My due date is in feb15. I dont have anyone to guide me for special diet requirement after birth. I remember my friend in india used to eat ulli-kharam and few other heat things to heal after delivery.
    Can anyone please guide me on what to eat and what not to eat after delivery?

thanks for help in advance!!

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

fenugreek seeds, methi leaves n garlic as far as i know..curries usually are ridgegourd, ivy gourd, u can also eat menthikura dry curry with lots of garlic..use it in tempering

1 person likes this.
  3. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

If you eat non veg,then you can have kheema curry.Mil gave ridge gourd curry for a week ,so my stitches didnt heal until i had this kheema curry.Eat foods that heats up your body like you said ulli kaaram.
    My grandma didnt allow me to eat foods that have green chillies for 6 months.
    I heard garlic boiled with hot rice is good when you are BF.

Have lots of fruits and milk and dont forget postnatal vitamins until you stop BF.

Have a safe delivery.

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Have easily digestible foods - in India that would be Ridge gourd - beerakaya curry, cucumber - dosakaya, snake gourd- potlakaya, bottle gourd - anapakaya

Drink lots of water! - Keep a full bottle of water near you before Breast feeding, so that you can have immediately - you are going to be very thirsty!!

Stitches will heal if you keep well hydrated, and the area moisturized and eat simple foods!

Andhrites usually avoid moong dal and channa dal and brinjals while healing from any surgery - so keep that in mind. Rice is easier to digest than rotis or ragi etc.

Have wholesome foods ! Avoid white flour maida, pasta noodles white sugar etc.

Adding ghee is good during this time - but Indian moms go overboard - so do add ghee, but dont go overboard

Avoid tubers like potatoes, sweet potato, carrot, beetroot etc for a few weeks - the gas from the tubers might give the baby colic if you are breast feeding.

Have lots of milk and liquids! Fruits are ok - but avoid citrus !

Avoid too much chillis and masala - boiled food with jeera, dhaniya, pepper is ok for now!
    Idlis, dosas, with lightly spiced chutney or sambhar is good. Tea/coffee is ok but try to limit to 2 cups a day - replace with milk/protein drinks

Make sunni-undalu - Dry Roast Udad dal - minapappu till it looks pink and let it cool - Powder it as finely as possible! Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar/jaggery for 1 cup udad dal and mix well
    Store this powder in an airtight container!
    You can mix some powder with a little melted ghee and make balls and store for a week - Gives you good calcium and strength to the tired postnatal body! And helps with sweet craving!

Good alternative to any junk craving when you arent supposed to eat junk :)

Keep yourself positive and happy !!

If there are problems with quantity of Breast milk - then you can go for the Garlic overdose OR try methi sprouts OR satavarex shatavari (Zandu/Himalaya/Dabur) helps with increasing breastmilk!

"Heat Foods" are not given for healing of the stitches - but to flush out the post partum bleeding clean from the uterus - For that try papaya and til seeds ! Use nuvvulu pappu (again dont go overboard) for curries and eat papaya for snack - will restore your calcium levels and digestion powers and also flush out the uterus and heal the insides !!

2 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

My mother used to give vellulli karam in the first morsel of rice along with a little ghee. No root vegetables when you are breast feeding. Plenty of milk is a must. No yogurt at night times for the first few days. Plenty of green vegetables and fruits is a must. Early evening dinner.
    Enjoy your baby.
    Syamala