1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Aww...glad it worked for u.
    Here we go..
    Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan) | Detoxinista
    This is the basic recipe ..but I needed to check my notes to see what worked and what didnt.
    1. the 1/4 tsp of salt was a little bit too much. I reduced it to 1/8 .
    2. The cookie dough was too dry. I needed to add about 2 tsp of milk . Refer to note 3.
    3. The cookies are only very mildly sweet . 3 tbsps of maple syrup could be increased to about 4 tbsps and u can skip the 2tsp of water and the sweetness was perfect for us
    4. The cookies dont spread at all...so dropping by the spoonfuls might not help if we want the perfect shape. For the second batch I flattened them after dropping and that helps.
    5. Even after 9 min the cookies didnt look done. I left them for 12 and only then the edges had brown color. (my oven has her mood swings so it could be that...check every min after 9th min..the edges need to brown). Since there is no flour at all and its all almond..it can burn easily ..just be careful.
    6.Leave on the pan for whole 10 min to get the lovely brown color at the bottom
    These are soft crispy cookies ....enjoy! I know @Gauri03 has one large costco bag she needs to finish..I am tinkering with almond flour brownie recipe..will post soon.

Gauri03 and sokanasanah like this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

There are lab notes? Wow!:eek:

justanothergirl likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

Ahem and there are also exams...so when did u say u are mailing in the cookies for grading :p:p

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've been experimenting with homemade replacements for some of our staples. Have read quite a few food related books and watched one too many documentaries of late. It got me started on a processed food elimination drive. I began making kefir last November. Used to buy from Trader Joe's until I realized how easy it is to make at home. Bought some kefir grains from Amazon, cheese cloth, plastic strainer, and a gallon glass jar. Unlike yogurt kefir doesn't need to be babied. No boiling and cooling milk required. Put kefir grains in a jar, add cold milk straight from the can, cover and put aside for 12-24 hours depending on ambient temperature. Once the milk thickens, strain and drink. Use the grains for the next batch. Easy peasy! Literally takes all of 10 minutes every other day. I've replaced my kids' evening cup of milk with kefir and they love it. I carry mine to work in little mason jars.

Trying my hand at baking bread these days. Results have been mixed. Will post pics once I bake one I like!

5. justanothergirl

Wow ...thanks for the great tip and recipe. Have always looked at kefir in the stores and wondered how I should incorporate them...just the nudge I needed.
    please do..I am looking into moving away from store bought bread as well.
    Oven..or breadmachine?

6. Gauri03

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Perfect in a smoothie, especially if you tend to make it with whey or other protein powders. The kefir adds a tang, which is exactly what you need, since some of these protein sources are (overly) sweetened with the low-cal sweeteners.

justanothergirl likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

A few days ago, I posted my bread recipe on the addadahangout thread. That, and the three posts that follow are also useful. I use a Breadmachine to knead the dough. The breadmachines are very useful in this stage, but quite bad in baking breads. I take the kneaded dough out of the machine, take out the paddle of the machine from the dough, and then set the dough on a cookie sheet, roll it flat, like a pizza. Then add walnuts, some raisins or dates in some pattern, then roll the dough into a log, bend the log to whatever shape that goes into an olive oil greased bread pan. Cover it with a wet towel, and let it sit and rise for a second time. This second rise makes for a nice uniform hole distribution within the bread. Once this is done, and the bread has the shape, I would remove the wet towel, brush the top of the bread with milk (you may use kefir also), and then sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Then it would be baked at 375 F for 40 minutes.
    when the baking is done, one would take out the pan, wait for the metal pan to cool (about 10') tap the sides of the pan with a knife handle to loosen the bread, before attempting to take it out. The bread has to sit in a cooling rack for at least a couple of hours before it can be sliced.
    A bread machine can be had for less than $40 during one of those preholiday sales. It can knead you doughs for roti, chappati, naan, and many of the leavened breads without getting your fingernails messy, or having the flour go all over everywhere in the kitchen, because of breezes or electrostatics. I would recommend a breadmachine, but not baking a bread in it. Just use it as a dough maker/kneader.

From 400g. flour one could get a "regular" loaf, and two good sized baguettes. All baked at the same time under the same conditions. Here is a picture of the baguettes. Intended to make them the same size, but ...well... one turned out longer.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Gauri03 and justanothergirl like this.
  9. Gauri03

The baguettes look good! Do you use a razor blade to score the bread? I use the KitchenAid stand-mixer for kneading dough. Would it still make sense to get a bread machine?

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I score the bread with a sharp <deboning> knife. You can use anything that has a very sharp edge, but would not cut deep. If not scored, the aspiration (off-gassing) during the baking can cause bumps in surface.
    The stand mixer is a much better kneader than a bread machine. In my dough kneader ratings, food-processor is the lowest, BM is in the middle and Stand-Mixers are supreme. However the prices of new ones are in the reverse order. SM occupy a bigger counter foot print, but they look grand, if you can afford the space.