1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Another thing I do with spinach..is a smoothie (sounds ewwwww..if u can look past the green color..... u wont feel the greens at all promise)
    few handfuls of spinach (Wash it few times ...yes even the triple washed ones)
    Dates + soy milk + banana...Yumm.....!

sokanasanah likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

No, not eeww. I do this often. My preferred base is coconut water, plain or flavored, with added greens, fruit, a spot of turmeric, pepper, cayenne + a dash of rose-water + some whey or plant protein. Sometimes Kefir as base, with coconut water to thin as preferred. But, the advantage with the sauteé is that one can consume / use up a lot more greens. They wilt to almost nothing, but remain nutritious. Great for dinner time or when the palate craves 'salt' over sweet.

justanothergirl likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Interesting! Never tried that before.

Have you folks heard of 'Turmeric Lattes' or 'Golden Lattes'? My European colleagues can't stop waxing lyrical! Does anyone have a good recipe of authentic haldi doodh?

4. justanothergirl

[​IMG]

Rihana likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

Make a spice pouch with about 10 pepper corns 2 cloves a pinch of saffron and dry turmeric root...if not pinch of turmeric.
    Boil milk with the pouch...remove and have it while its still warm.
    For a stronger concoction powder the spices and filter before having the milk.
    Traditionally we also add kalkandu (rock sugar/palm sugar) for kids..u can add honey just to sweeten it up a bit.
    Helps with dry cough I have noticed.

sokanasanah and Gauri03 like this.
  6. sokanasanah

Yes, I read recently that this has become a thing!
    Turmeric milk used to be a staple for sore throats when I was growing up. I have no idea whether it was effective, but all the ritual and being fussed over was helpful. :rolleyes:
    I do not have an 'authentic' recipe, but sometimes when I miss my paatti I make a warm badaam milk with added turmeric. Comes pretty close to my memories of childhood. It makes for a great soporific at bedtime. 'From scratch' recipe here. Of course you can skip all the soaking and whatnot by using store bought powder, almond milk etc. However, note that Almond Breeze was sued recently for having less than 2% almonds in its product. The rest is water, emulsifiers and other weird industrial stuff. None of the brands have precise, interpretable info on the ingredients. One of these days I need to figure out my own version of almond-milk powder that can be stored dry!

Gauri03 and justanothergirl like this.
  7. sokanasanah

Hmmm, ever tried teabags - the ones one might get for loose-leaf tea?
    Or even a good fine-mesh coffee filter might work well!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  8. justanothergirl

Wow never knew these existed.....:) thanks ...I will get myself a few.
    Turmeric milk is a staple at home in winter.
    Not sure about the medicinal benefits etc etc ..boys just love the taste.
    Oh @Gauri03 MIL also adds cinnamon....my version skips that..somehow I prefer it this way.

9. Gauri03

Oh! We consume a lot of almond milk. : | What could one use as an alternative?

10. Gauri03

I'm going to try this. I've only ever made it with turmeric+sugar+milk. If my mother hears my kids cough in the background of a phone call, the haldi-doodh lecture begins! It is wonderfully soothing. I almost want to have it everyday but not sure how to fit it into my diet.