1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Good going all ladies. Wat a wonderful thread it is.... Each page is worthy of taking notes :clap2::clap2:

I prefer home cooked food and it takes less than 2 hrs to prepare a simple meal. One dhal and veggies which is the routine I always follow at home.

Being a veg. I am always worried on missing dhal (protein) and ensure to make a veggie (poriyal) as a daily routine. Missing rice or substituting with anything else is never possible in my household with inalws and 6 yr old DD.

Between I have to reach office by 7 in the mrng and my inlaws does all the baby care.

All I need is to pack BF and Lunch for me and DH and BF for my DD.

I prepare simple BF for me a Poha/Dosa/Idli for me.

Paratha/Bread/Idli/Upma for DD and Paratha for DH which is almost a routine.

Sooked Dhals, chopped veggies, ready to grind coconut, washed and chopped green chilies, curry leaves all kept handy in the right qnty are quite helpful for me.

Planning and preparing the night before helps me to finish all this work by 6.15AM in the mrng. If I am too late my MIL will help to prepare rotis otherwise it is me cooking alone with the suprabatham playing in the mobile (around 5.15AM I wake up) while the whole house sleeps…

Rice will be later made by MIL and I carry previous day’s rice. In case rice is not there I cook some millets for me which also takes hardly 15min to cook.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

That's wonderful @Gauri03
    One step at a time.
    In my "time management thread" that is what I had suggested.

It is like exercise. Start slowly and build up.

Also, writing down just one day's menu does miracles to our state of well-being.
    I used to stand in front of the fridge and spend precious 10-15 minutes wondering what to cook. This when my kids were home and I was doing a co-op program which meant studies and work, and chauffeuring kids for their after-school activities.
    First I just wrote the menu. Then I thought why can't I do a couple of things now than tomorrow.
    Slowly I built up. But the key was I kept telling myself I am human and need to close the kitchen once in a while. :)

Best wishes.

kaniths, Rihana, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 tried out another expt this weekend. For moms of young kids blocking 3-4 hrs at a time during the weekend for prep and cooking like so is not easy . For each of the meals during weekend( lunch and dinner ) cook not for one meal for the family but for two. That left me now with 4 dinners for the work week. There was only an incremental increase in the time required for cooking each meal . Glad to hear that u are feeling better.

4. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

Hello all,
    This is a great thread.
    I see most of us wants some simple home cooked food. But we don't have enough time to cook.

I think I have a solution which will helps us.
    Before I give solution, let me tell my situation. I am working mom of 1 kid(4 yr old) with no family support. It is just me, my husband and kid in our home. We are in North America, so no maids or any other help. I cook twice daily. Will prepare breakfast and lunch in morning and dinner after I am back from office.
    I prepare everything from scratch (no frozen meals). All I take is 30 mins in morning and 30 mins in evening.
    Breakfast will be generally any south Indian breakfast like (Idly, Dosa, Semiya upma, rava upma, puri..etc) and lunch will be 1 dal and 1 veggie and dinner will be like roti and some curry.
    Wondering how I can do that?
    Here is the Solution : OPOS (One pot One shot). No, it is not instant pot and I dont have any fancy utilities to do this. It is just 2L Pressure cooker (Indian style).
    OPOS: It is greener, Healthier, easiest way to cook your food. OPOS is found by RamaKrishnan(google about him) and nurtured by group of volunteers. There are techniques defined to cook any type of dish.
    For ex: if you want to make beans dry curry.
    Traditional way: Put kadai on stove, put some oil(1 tsp) and let oil heat up and put some mustard seeds..etc (for tadka), put some curry leaves, let it fry....and then put the cut beans and closed the lid and cook for 10-15mins
    the complete process takes 20-25 mins
    OPOS way: take 2lt pressure cooker(PC), put 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp water, add mustard seeds and some curry leaves. add cut beans, put salt or spice powder on top of beans. Now close the PC and put it on stove at high heat. After 2 whistles, switch off stove and release pressure and mix all. Done . It take 2 mins to arrange stuff and 6 mins to get 2 whistles, so total 8 mins beans curry is ready.Easy?

Now, how is this done? The water content from beans is used to cook the curry.

Note: Please dont try this at home. Because one should know, what does high heat means. For that you need to standardize your cooker.

With OPOS, you can make any dish from any cuisine. OPOS doesn't define recipes,but it defines only techniques. One has to use techniques to define recipes.

After reading all these, if anyone want to try this please join "OPOS Support group" in facebook and read the pinned post and proceed.

There are also many OPOS youtube videos. Just search with OPOS before the recipe name like "OPOS Aviyal" or "OPOS Paneer butter masala" or "OPOS chicken biryani"

I have been using these techniques since 2 years and it made my life more easier. I can easily throw a party for 10 people with 2 hrs notice.

Rihana, kkrish, mangaii and 2 others like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03 Tofu is versatile you can bake/air fry easily. I do around 400F for 20 mins for . I have baked around similar temps and the result is good.If you don't have enough time you can get baked one from TJ.
    Never had luck with paneer. I think the texture and composition is different. It always was browned outside but inside felt like eating raw paneer. All I do is saute paneer in stove top otherwise my kids will play ping-pong using that.

Gauri03 and kkrish like this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Deepthiprush Do we have to buy induction stove for this method ?

7. Deepthiprush

Deepthiprush New IL'ite

Induction stove is recommended.But one can cook it on regular gas stove or electric coil stove. I dont have induction. I use electric coil. So, one has to learn on what settings to keep based on the heat type. Like, I preheat the electric coil when I am loading the PC, so that coil is hot enough. If you join Fb group, people there are very helpful.Someone will assist you, if having tough time with heat source. That is why there is a lesson plan. The first lesson is about standardizing the heat source.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read all posts in thread at one shot or OPOS fashion : ). Simply so amazed and impressed with the efforts, discipline and creativity. Feel like nominating all posts for FP en masse and then go crawl under a tiny rock and cringe. : ) I have worked so hard or so efficiently a few times and still recall the rest I took after each time. ; ) : )
    The only thing common with my morning is suprabhatham playing. Once in a while, I make something fresh and they ask what's the occasion. The other day I made for Thing2 -- from scratch french toast, cut some fruit, held my nose and prepared the bacon (first time, yuck), poured some orange juice and milk too. When done, I asked him, doesn't this remind you of breakfast in cruise or luxury resort. : ) Reading this thread inspires me to do a bit better.

Vandhuamma, you do all that you've written and have time and inclination left to recall first, second crush. Hats off. : )

sravanitenali and Vandhuamma like this.
  9. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

@Rihana you brought a big smile to my face.... :):)

When you are along most of the time in office ( pretending to be busy with IL:thumbup:), in gym, in kitchen... it is such memories which bring smile on my face:thumbsup:
    Ghar mein kiska pass time hai bath karna keliye sab mobile mein busyyy hey...:smirk::smirk:

kaniths and Rihana like this.