1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Gauri03 .
    No fret. Let me join in supporting you.
    Yes, with little children and full time job I can imagine your stress.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    ashima10 and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No, now that she is here, the Chef De Cuisine and master of kitchen planning tells me how to get a handle on my mealtime dilemmas. : ) So many things are hitting me all at once that I can't seem to get a grip on anything.

JAG correct me if I am wrong, but the thread is pretty much a free forum for discussing healthy eating, exercise, products, tips and tricks, on losing then maintaining weight loss.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Gauri03 . I just edited the question, as I just got an idea of what to post.
    Got it.
    Thanks for the compliment @Gauri03 . I do have advantage when it comes planning and organizing... grown up kids. So I will not post unreasonable plans, will try to.
    Having little kids is a world of its own.

mangaii and Gauri03 like this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Yes thats absolutely true. This is a free forum .Discuss/share any of the ideas that u are trying out /things that worked for u in the past .
    I am trying to cut out white flour and boxed cereal at home. Lets see how I manage to pull that off this week

mangaii, Gauri03 and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Let me start:
    My mantra #1
    No added white sugar.
    If the food is too unpalatable without sugar, add little jaggery, or agave nectar.
    If not possible to add, do not eat that food.
    To calm my sweet tooth, have a date (fruit... not a night out with hubs), banana, orange, or apple.
    Drink water.
    Let me tell you how I fared, next Thursday.

ashima10, Laks09, kalcandu and 4 others like this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I bought rotimatic , It's unreasonably expensive and not the best roties in the world, but still helps me with dinner. My son comes from school and makes the roties by himself with last night curry he eats it, which helps me not worry what he will eat after school
    Instant pot is also being helpful. Making channa or sambar has become one pot deal.

Along with that, I buy cut veggies from Inidan store.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Laks09, mangaii, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I do buy ready made soups from TJ. Only thing I do in Indian style seasoning. I get herb based pizza dough(cost around $1 + some sauce depending on the code + cheese + canned olives + lots of veggies ) in oven at 450F for 15 mins you have soup and fresh pizza ready for dinner

I use this from amazon Amazon.com: Apple Slicer - Corer - Divider - Cutter - Wedger Tool - 430 Grade Stainless Steel - 100% Rust Resistant - by Utopia Kitchen: Kitchen & Dining to cut my apples. I eat with peanut butter as a snack.

Air fry tofu during weekend different seasoning. I buy sauces from Asian store so mix and match .Air fry and store in fridge .Great protein supplement

Avacoda Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer, Green: Kitchen & Dining I use this almost daily + lemon. You have tasty guacamole ready under a minute

KA is Kitchen Aid Mixer. I batch process chapathi dough and store them in fridge once in 3 days

I also have a griddle easier to make multi grain dosa. Non stick and can make 2 or more at a time without paying too much attention.

IP I have 2 of them one for beans and one for regular grains. We do eat white rice/quinoa . My little one doesn't like brown rice so I don't make it often unless I have time to make 2 grains.

Get bulk veggies including carrots/brussel sprouts/ corn/ asparagus and roast them over weekend with seasoning of your choice. Use them when needed.

I do use Indian cooker to make daal since I don't like IP due to too much frothing. I like the texture from Indian cooker. Seasoning is the key. Mix and match with veggies steamed.

I buy quick cooking steel cut oats from costco. Just cook them in 10 mins in stove top. Don't like using IP for oats also although several blogs swear by it. I have tried it is same case too much frothing and taste is not the same.

I have pretty much 3 things running at a time in kitchen. The only disadvantage of my method is dishes collected at the end. 2 IP pots and KA base can fill my sink .

I do make smoothies in vita mix. Mix with protein powder and chia seeds + almond milk. This can be done easily. You also get frozen fruit pouches from costco . You can make one under 5mins.

Edamame from costco .They sell with microwavable bags. Just put them in microwave for 3-5 mins. You have a protein snack ready.I get frozen corn bag from costco. I think it cost $5 and roast corn for 5-10 mins .You have a crunchy sweet snack ready.

Hope this helps.

Rihana, Laks09, HazelPup and 4 others like this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 - I was there just a couple of months ago. I had been buying food for myself and the kids most weeknights and emotional eating as well. I was exhausted and couldn't cope with the demands of a teen and a special needs child. My body took a toll.
    For the last two months, I have been religiously meal prepping every weekend. It's a lot of work on a sunday and I spend 6 hrs cooking and packing but it gives me relief during the week. I don't feel guilty about the occasional order on grubhub or doordash.
    Here is what I do -
    1) On friday I write down all five days meal plan for both kids(including snacks). I make a grocery list.
    2) Sat : Hubby does grocery shopping and cleans meats and fish etc. I soak rice/dals for idli/dosa batter in the morning and grind at night. DH makes dahi and lunch/dinner for sat and sunday.
    3) Sunday:
    a) Make marinades for the meats and fish.
    b) Clean and chop veggies and herbs etc
    c) Prepare meals according to my menu - mostly non indian food. Daughter's meal will have some carbs at the bottom with veggies on top and some protein. She prefers vegetarian lunches so I add some veggie proteins. Son eats at home so its carbs and meat plus some veggies on the side.
    d) Pack all five lunches for both kids in the rectangular pyrex boxes. DD can microwave food at school and this box works for us.
    e) Prep fruits for snacks and make breakfast for all days of the week.

DH mostly washes dishes for an hour afterwards and takes care of the little man while I'm busy. It's really hectic but this is what helps me the most.

On most weeknights, I have marinated fish that I bake for DD. I also have the carbs that I made over the weekend to go with it and I add in some baked veggies from the meal prep. It's easier for me. Not sure how long I'll last but I'm able to feed the kids something good.
    If not anything, I have grated carrots/peas/cheese etc handy and I make some uthappams with these things and my kids will eat that with eggs. Or I make kuzhi paniyarams for their dinner.
    If I feel like eating some rice, I make sambhar in IP and use PIP method to make pongal in one shot with the sambhar. Next day, we eat idli/sambar for dinner. I make bisi bele bath in the IP with premixed quinoa/dals by adding some frozen veggies to it. I make soups in the IP and top it off with cheese and bread for myself and fish or chicken saute for the kids. I precut and pack soup veggies and lentils in ziplocs so all i have to do is saute some onions/garlic/spices and put it all in the IP and cook it.

Will looking at my weekly menus give you some ideas? I can find them around and upload a few pics.

Hang in there. Don't feel guilty for not doing it all. I'm a SAHM and I cannot deal with all of the demands placed on me so I have a lot of respect for you, doing everything you do, with two very young kids.

Rihana, ashima10, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Gauri03
    You had mentioned you are too tired to cook for the week.
    It is understandable after a bout of flu.

Can you start again from square one?
    Plan and cook for just one meal? That way you can feel better about not eating out all five days.
    And don't feel guilty. That makes you even more tired. You are human after all and have limitations.

Make I offer one suggestion for tonight's meal?

Do you have a can of garbanzo beans (channa)? I use GOYA sold in Costco. You can pick just one or two cans in the local grocery on your way home.

This evening, in IP - saute a chopped onion, two tomatoes (for now you can use canned tomatoes - better than eating out), ginger paste (store bought), Add the canned garbanzo beans, chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder, salt to taste. Add chopped cilantro. (Ginger-garlic paste and garam masala powder also can be added)

Press rice mode (12 minutes). This only for the mixture to blend.

If you do not have garbanzo beans, use a couple of Potatoes instead.

Make rotis in you rotimatic. You have a meal.
    The aim here is not healthy eating. The first step is to remove your guilt of not cooking at home.
    Now that you do this you will feel better.

Take it one day at a time - so that mentally you are not overwhelmed. When you are already physically tired, thinking, "I should do this, I should do that" only increases tiredness.

Also thinking we should do all from scratch is another good formula for failure. Take shortcuts.
    Later when you are fully recovered go for the works!

Tomorrow I will post another meal that I found is very quick to do.

Rihana, Gauri03, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Gauri03, Laks09 and kkrish like this.