Post Pregnancy Diet

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shwetapj, Oct 16, 2016.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

I am due in November, that is next month. I have a question. I read in most of the threads that Garlic, moong dal, drumsticks, feenugreek seeds and leaves etc helps to increase the breast milk. I have a question. Apart of eating all those mentioned above can I also continue with my normal diet that includes eggs, fish and meat?

I am a bit confused here

Please advise

2. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi shwetapj,
    I m not experienced on this..
    Bit as per my inderstanding,we hav to avoid gassy vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage,beet,etc.. if we plan to breastfeed..
    I also have read somewhere breastmilk has no relation to what mommies eat..not sure on this though..
    For non veg n eggs may b better to be away for fist few days like may b 15-25 days..
    Or u can try having less spicy..
    If its c section i guess our diet varies a bit so that we give stitches proper time to heal..like avoiding besan,like stuff..
    Lets c what our experienced mommies reply n u can take good decision...

3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Don't know much about chicken and fish, but used to have eggs daily. This what I followed:
    I had green leafy veggies everyday, jowar or bajra roti atleast in one meal with ghee, also kept garlic in my food it really helps in increasing breast-milk.

In morning breakfast I use to have different kheer/porridge like Dry date (kharik) kheer, khus-khus/poopy seed kheer, Alliv/Halim/Assario seeds kheer made in Jaggery (All these kheer are breastmilk inducing)

Avoid all gassy foods: Chole, Rajma, Beans, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Potatoes, Broccoli

4. preethadg

preethadg Senior IL'ite

Can someone share veg food to take in the initial days after delivery? Method of preparing veggies.

5. camrondell

camrondell New IL'ite

1. Weight Watchers
    2. The 3-Hour Diet
    3. The Eat Clean Diet
    4. The Zone Diet
    5. Jillian Michaels
    6. Bob Greene’s Best Life
    7. Nutrisystem
    8. The Fresh Diet

6. DrVandhana

DrVandhana Bronze IL'ite

After delivery there are certain diet patterns that needs to be followed by a mother . Whatever she takes orally will affect the baby in one or the other way as she breastfeeds the infant. So a well balanced and healthy diet is essential for proper growth and development of baby. As per diet in kerala, foods consumed can be charted as follows per day. 8 A.M Morning for breakfast steamed foods like idli, puttu, dosa, upma with less spicy and less sour curries can be taken. Add lots of vegetables like carrot, tomato etc. Avoid potato, dals and such tubers that can produce more of gas. 10.30 A.M,Mid morning - a glass of warm milk along with one fruit like apple or steamed banana. For lunch 1 P.M, Rice gruel/Rice, green gram, curries with coconut milk , leafy vegetables, snake gourd, bitter gourd etc can be included. Evening snacks like sandwich/ a fruit / a boiled egg can be taken at 4 pm, By 6.30 - again a glass of warm milk . By 8.30 p.m - Dinner- Chappathi with vegetable curries/ Rice with veg salad. Avoid cabbage, califlower, non veg , fries etc. Rice mixed in ghee+ turmeric+ shallots+ garlic+ pepper+ curry leaves is the best food for lunch or dinner atleast for a month. Start having non veg after 1 month or even later.