1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Delivery Health Issues

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by shwetapj, Dec 19, 2017.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

hi ladies

I have a 14 month old toddler. I had an emergency c section. What are the common health issues post a baby that goes on for a life time
    I am having back pain and intense foot pain making me dead tired
    Is it because of c section?

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@shwetapj,
    Post delivery health issues need not last a lifetime. You may be experiencing the pain and tiredness,if you are managing your baby all by yourself, and have not had sufficient rest during the immediate months after delivery. I have heard people say back pain is often the outcome of C- sections, but that may not be the only reason. Have a thorough check up with your gynaec/ physician again for the problems you are facing. You may be suggested specific physical exercise, and relaxation techniques. Each one's body is different and reacts differently to situations, i would therefore advise you to take proper medical advise , and not assume that you have to suffer due to your C-section. I personally had 2 caesarians (with a gap of 6 years) and suffered with frequent urinary tract infections. Only remedy is proper medical monitoring and treatment.

sindmani, Sunburst and fourthaugust like this.
  3. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

I have had two c sections. My younger one is also currently 14months old. But I am not facing any aftereffects of the operations.
    I think you should go n see a doctor. He might ask you to go through an elaborate blood work. Sometimes this happens due to some deficiencies like B12, calcium , vitamin D to name a few. And taking supplement for this does wonders. So go to the doctor . Your problems will be sorted out in no time.

joylokhi likes this.
  4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Possibility of Lack of iron and calcium. B complex and osto calcium can work but taking doctor advise will be required before starting anything.

5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Can't generalise like that as each one are different. Not everyone has Back pain n foot pain after c-sec.

Your tiredness n exhaustion of caring for a baby can make you feel all that too.

Check your vitamin, iron, calcium levels as well.

Better get all these health issues checked right now itself rather than blaming the c-sec n suffering life long with it.

joylokhi likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if your weight is on the higher side.

there is a small percentage of people who have back pain after a spinal anaesthesia.

see if you are getting good sleep. maybe your toddler is heavy and you lift him in the wrong way which could hurt your back

get yourself checked for calcium and hb levels and eat good balanced food and have a good sleep and also get yourself some me time.

MonikaSG likes this.
  7. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your helpful replies ladies. I never took rest post delivery since I had to look after the baby all by my self and still continuing to do so all by myself along with cooking

I better check with an gyn for further investigation

joylokhi likes this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Hi @shwetapj . I had vaginal deliveries but had back pain for months after the delivery. My sister had intense pain in the sole of her feet . It went away on its own.

The time after delivery is meant to rest but unfortunately in the west we hardly get any help and by the time 90 days is over, we are back to work. Body doesn't get enough time to heal. Also, all that lugging around the toddlers, the household work takes a toll on us. For me it was my long hours commute and sitting in that position that made my back pain worse. I don't think you have any serious issue but it's always a good idea to get your thoroughly checked by a doctor. Also, try and incorporate minimum 20 mins of yoga ( cow, child and bow poses) and deep breathing . That should give you some relief.

joylokhi likes this.
  9. nila2817

nila2817 New IL'ite

Even I got the severe back pain after c sec.I think its becoz of the weight.I put on more weight after delivery.once you start doing some physical exercise you would be better.

10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, it may be due to lack of rest and weak body. I dont think it has to do anything with c-section.
    Consult a general physician and make sure you dont have thyroid issue or vitamin deficiencies -iron, vit D, calcium ets. Make sure you are not anemic. Any of this can make you tired.

Are you still bf ing? This time taking pre-natal or supplementary vitamins is a must. Also sit in right position with support while bf ing to avoid back pain. The muscles on back may be weak and this can result in this issue. Use a heating pad or massager to relax your back. I had two normal deliveries , but experienced severe back pain. I felt better only after I stop bf ing. Check this link
    How to Relieve and Avoid Back Pain from Nursing

What about your weight. May be that is adding to your food pain. Try to due some yoga or exercise to relax or strengthen your body. Try this particular yoga pose very helpful (Yoga Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)) for back pain. You need to do two or three times same pose . It wont take more than 10 minutes

Try to spent some time for you everyday. I am sure all your issues will go away soon.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    joylokhi likes this.