1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Positives of your MILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Apr 23, 2015.

1. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My MIL is extremely neat. There is no way to doubt that. And also when she dresses up to go anywhere, her sari is always in perfect condition. And remains that way no matter how long the journey. I always tell her I am scared to wear any of her saris because it will get totally crumpled by the end of the trip.

Another thing is her cooking. She does not do much of it, but back in the day when she would cook, it was amazing. I did learn a lot of the typical Tanjavur cooking recipes from her (Since my cooking is mostly the Palakkad type).

We have our differences, and probably cannot stand each other's company for more than some time, but when she is in the mood, she certainly can be wonderful.

sindmani, jazzyjans and SGBV like this.
  2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

My MIL is generally a nice lady, though she can be a little abrasive at times... but it is more out of the frustration at her own situation than anything else. She shoots her mouth off sometimes, but would go to great lengths to set it right afterwards!

Specifically, these are things I really appreciate about her -

- She would do everything around the house when she visits. I will have no work in the kitchen when I return from work... cooking is done, dishes will be washed... so I feel pretty relaxed when she is here without the added burden of housework!

- She never differentiates between her grandkids and my niece/nephews from my side of the family. My sister was pregnant with her second child at the same time I was carrying my first child. When she came to the US when our DDs were 3 months old, she bought everything in pairs... right from kajal dabbas, laundry hampers, cotton jablas.... everything she thought would be useful for my baby, she bought for my niece as well. Even now after 4 yrs, whatever dresses or frocks she sends for my LO from India, she sends for my niece as well.

- Back home, she knows that my dad knows to snack on roadside food like bajjis, vadas etc., and my mom frowns upon him eating those. But when she visits our house in India, she makes sure she buys something for my dad... or if she makes something, packs something for my dad. My dad is a foodie and very vocal and lavish with praise for good food while FIL is not!

shravs3, Sunburst, sindmani and 8 others like this.
  3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Nice Thread...

My MIL is

a. Cleanliness freak..Initially i wasnt comfortable with this , but later i have also become extremely cleanliness freak...HYPER

b. "Aditi Devo Bhava"...she follows this...Whoever comes to the house she and my FIL ensures that they are treated like King and Queen...Give them the best food, ensure they are always comfortable

c. Puts her Son's and Grandsons needs before anybody else..Blind love on her sons and Grandsons

d. Doesnt say anything about my SHOPPING SPREE...

e. Cooks Traditional South Indian food and Sweets very well

f.Alarm Clock of our house...Anybody in the house if they want to wake up by 2 AM also , they just need to drop the word to her ..She will religiously wake up at 1:30 AM ..prepare Fresh Filter kaapi and wake them up

shravs3, sindmani, tcbhuvana and 7 others like this.
  4. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

My Mil

1.very liberal understanding supports me always when had fights with husband.
    2.cooks really delicious food I like her food more than my mothers
    3.loves my husband n baby very much . Never gets angry over them ..What ever baby asks she prepares in minutes
    and feeds her with love ..baby is very naughty throws everything but she won't get impatient where as I do get some times ..
    4.treats always like daughter .. Never makes me down..
    reacently I made small mistake while driving DH got angry about car got scratches where as mil is worried about if I got hurt in any case .. Husband is not ready to give car but mil convinced him and Encouraged me about driving.. I get motivation with her words ..
    6.while leaving also she asked me to buy some gifts for my parents n brothers ..
    7.what more I can expect from her ..she gives everything that we want without asking ..
    we love her ..

Sabitha, Sunburst, sindmani and 13 others like this.
  5. VKumaraswamy

VKumaraswamy Senior IL'ite

My mum in law lost her husband when her son ie my husband was three years old. This was in 1970. She had been in the UK for 6 months. She stayed back in the UK, retrained at Uni to become a probation officer and brought my husband up single handed. She had an enjoyable career and has lived her life to the full. She had breast cancer 15 years ago and has beat that and lung metastasis from it. Through it all she has always been cheerful and positive. She is very loving to me, has treated me more as a daughter than anything else. She is a wonderful grandmother and has taught me two very important lessons in life- to focus on the bigger picture and enjoy your life regardless of the circumstances. I respect her more than I respect anyone else, and love her to bits

shravs3, Sabitha, sindmani and 10 others like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Me too hrastro. I also never met my MIL. She must have been a wonderful parent. Some of the fine qualities of my husband......credit should go to her.

Syamala

sindmani likes this.
  7. adimad

adimad Silver IL'ite

:rotfl LOL

8. soni1987

soni1987 Bronze IL'ite

My MIL does not interfere in our personal matters... She always wants me to be well dress in good saris n jewelry to show other I got Good DIL...:boo:

shravs3 and sindmani like this.
  9. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

Well if thread was for negatives of MIL, my list would be countless.

Only positive thing about my MIL is , she doesn't expect me to do everything at home and helps me whenever she can.

sindmani likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Thanks for making this thread re-live again. Good to hear more positive stories.