1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Positives of negative thinking.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Srniketan's post "Are you in the 50's..?" set me thinking and prompted to post this thread, in the interest of a postive discussion on this subject. If it proves to be boring, now you know whom to blame. :)
    Looking forward to an open discussion from the enlightened members.
    Cheers,
    Rrg

Positives of negative thinking

All beings by nature are programmed to think negative. Human beings are no exception.
    This stems out of the basic instinct of self protection and preservation. For instance, if a lion appears on the scene, the entire herd of deer runs for safety. Each deer in the herd assumes that the lion is after it and runs till it feels clear of the danger. Normally, this is true of all other animals also when faced with a danger from a mightier animal / force. Similarly, in the face of perceived danger, the first instinct of man is to flee – be it a bomb blast or earth quake or Tsunami … what so ever. Not thinking of the negative consequences and staying put could turn disastrous and prove to be foolish.
    (That, when pushed to the limits even the so called weaker one’s retaliating also comes out of the same survival instinct only. The weaker one’s run till they realize they could no longer escape and then start to fight back, as much as it can. When it comes to the wilder animals, the wilder they are, the attacking instinct is more pronounced and hence their threshold much less. Even they retreat for survival when you fire a shot or light a fire. This in itself is a separate topic on evolution and may not be worthwhile discussing here. )
    In the case of human beings, with the help of their sixth sense they analyze their cumulative experiences and arrive at the limit, up to which they may defy their basic nature, on case to case basis. But once the threshold is reached their basic natural instinct takes over. This threshold differs from individual to individual, based on his own exposures & mental conditioning.
    If someone is very late returning home, first thing that comes to one’s mind is that something untoward could have happened. We first think of negative possibilities under a situation before reassuring ourselves that all would be well. By our experiences and mental training the threshold to think negative gets shifted further. But all the same, the moment the threshold is crossed the negative thoughts take over. For instance, if our son normally returns by 6.00 PM, consciously or unconsciously we might have fixed the threshold as 9.00 PM. Till then you are not overtly concerned. Thereafter we start worrying and start ringing up his friends, places normally he visits etc. Thus, thinking positive in any situation is a developed one and has a threshold.
    Also, the threshold that we arrive at depends on the importance of the issue /happening to the individual. If our son is late we may start worrying beyond a time. This need not be so if the neighbour’s son is late. In this case, we may try to be more rational and try to be positive and urge the neighbor also to be so. This doesn’t mean that we are more positive than our neighbours. The issue is more important to the neighbor than us.
    Take the instance of attending an interview. If our life depends on its success we are more concerned and the threshold gets lower. We tend to think more negative. On the contrary, if the result is not going to matter either way, we tend to be more positive, both during the interview as well as outside.
    There is nothing wrong in thinking negative so long as one doesn’t get paranoid and thereby paralysed of action. Thinking and action are complementary to each other. Only if you think of the negatives, could you be in a position to plan & act positive to overcome the negative. Only when you think of the possibility of your house being robbed, do you install grills and other safety measures like getting a watch dog, employing a watchman etc. Thus, thinking negative is nothing but a form of managing the risks better.
    "Some anxious people naturally access the power of negative thinking by using a strategy called ‘Defensive Pessimism’. They tend to focus on worst case scenarios and set lower expectations for success. What's interesting about this is that people who use this strategy tend to experience less stress about a situation, and have more success than anticipated. Their negativity motivates them to take action in hopes of a better outcome.
    Defensive pessimism is an effective tool to help you harness the positive power of negative thinking. Used purposely with intention, it can help you feel more in control and make informed decisions. You are likely to achieve more positive results.
    Only entertaining positive thoughts isn't wise or practical, especially when your well-being is at stake. Often, it isn't even honest.
    Pushing down negative thoughts doesn't make them go away. They are still there, powerfully influencing you.
    Negative thoughts alert you to real issues and difficulties. It isn't wise to refuse an ear to the voice in your head that tells you something is wrong when it very well may be. You may as well listen. Then decide if the thoughts are valid or need to be changed.
    It also isn't wise to focus on the negative when something more positive is within reach.
    Explore all possible outcomes, positive and negative. Take the time to look and listen within. Gather information. Talk with an expert and/or someone who cares about you.
    Ask yourself what's the worst that could happen? And the best? What else could happen? How will you prepare for all these possibilities? What is the most likely outcome? What can you do now to increase the chances of positive results? Do you have other options? What feels best? Listen to the wisdom of your body and mind.
    When explored and understood, intentional defensive pessimism and negative thoughts can be used to your advantage.
    A negative emotion or thought shows you where you need to heal. They alert you to danger, when change needs to happen, conflicts need to be resolved, or action is required.
    In this light, negative thinking is very positive". (Holistic Mind Body Healing article)
    ‘Plan for the worst and do your best’ could be the right motto.
    Karma yoga tells us to ‘Do our best and leave the results to HIM’. Here not attaching ourselves to the end result is the key like the case of the interview where the result is acceptable to us either way. This level of mental conditioning may not be easily attainable by ordinary mortals, in day to day life. But, we could always endeavour to shift our threshold closer to this level to progress further. Towards this, being conscious of the negative aspects could serve as a positive tool.
    Anbudan,
    Rrg / 18<SUP>th</SUP> Nov ‘10

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

2. shrikala

shrikala Senior IL'ite

Sir,
    i wanted to say i really enjoyed this post and got englighted by these lines.
    "If our life depends on its success we are more concerned and the threshold gets lower. We tend to think more negative. On the contrary, if the result is not going to matter either way, we tend to be more positive, both during the interview as well as outside."

I am one of those people that constantly think about worst case scenarios. though mentally/on paper i arrive at possible handling steps, i end up being worried all the time. my husband on the other is totally opposite. doesnt even care about tomorrow's food (savings). he will say we'll see when we go there and he has no worries or tensions.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear rrg sir,

It took me all of 40 years to be the positive, stress free person that I am today.and now you come here advising that there could be positives of negative thinking.??????

Jokes apart,a wonderful post.:)As long as one doesnt get paranoid and thinking process does not become irrational and the negative thoughts result in positive actions..it is okay,i guess.

4. glascobaby

glascobaby Silver IL'ite

:) Dear Rrg sir,

Liked the essence of your writing about positives of negative thinking, and at the same time, I am just giving my views too.

The type of thoughts that we choose to focus on will shape our reality, both current and future.Some people prefer to focus on positive thoughts, even though they acknowledge their negative ones.They learn to manage their thoughts, or they find a way for eliminating negative thoughts or be with the skills to see positives of their negative thinking.

Negative thinking defines pessimists-For a pessimist, there is always something to worry about, nothing is ever quite right, bad events seem to last forever, and they surely outweigh the positive ones. Life means fear and sadness most of the time.However, there is a strategy to feel better called "defensive pessimism" that looks like negative thinking and that is useful for some people.

Positive thinking defines optimists-An optimist person acknowledges negative circumstances/negative thoughts, but chooses to be positive about them and looks for "the hidden gift", or even think of how to change the situation.They don't dwell on worries. If they feel defeated, they also feel it's temporary. They usually also choose to accentuate the positive.what it comes down to,when we allow ourselves to think negatively we damage our potential in many ways. The worst thing is that we may be so wrapped in negativity that we cannot even see that there are ways out.However, there is always a choice. The important point is our awareness of our own thoughts,then we can decide which type of thoughts we've to focus on.

We may be deprived of everything else in this world, yet we can still choose our attitude towards it all. We've to help ourself with this powerful daily affirmation.

One can make us sink completely, while the other can make us rise you above the clouds.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Rrg Sir,

A very good post based on psychology I suppose, which is dear to my heart.
    And thank you for mentioning my post, which made you write this 'thinking post'.

Very much enjoyed your post, with several simple day-to-day experiences which made it to understand more clearly.

As Thiruvalluvar says, "Idukkan varungaal naguga"..(which literally means, smile at the time of danger) is apt here to use the 'suffering' as a stepping stone ( as a learning process) to move forward for happiness, later.

Failures are stepping stones to success, might have come through the theory of positives of negative thinking..I suppose.

In movies or serials, negative thinking of the villians or villis give positive results to the hero/ heroine, isn't it! :biglaugh:

sriniketan

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sir, kudos for your positive attitude,even taking positive things from the negative,,,,Yes, as long as it doesn't affect the person, it is ok....But I have seen many people who sinking in neg thinking and also make the people around them to be there in that negative pool,,this is really bad na..I want to just stay away from those people...:idea

7. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear RRG sir,

I landed here expecting a humorous post of RRG style:)

As Shrikala said, I too fall in the category of people who always think about the worst case scenarios and I try to get mentally prepared for that every time.

Very thoughtful post :thumbsup