1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Poor In America - An European Documentary

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Amulet, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

One desi relative saw this documentary, and said "Wow.... poor people in America have a Toyota Minivan !"

What strikes you as the most remarkable thing in this documentary ?

Dhamini likes this.

2. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

I have watched it. This documentary didn’t show much different to what I already know or had seen before. I didn’t find anything remarkably different. They were hard workers who couldn’t afford housing there. So having a car doesn’t mean that they are well off. Car is their only means which help them to work and providing roof for now.

On second thought that lady who got separated from her husband didn’t even bother to get her share on her divorce which I thought she should’ve done. She should have anticipated such things and not let her partner get away with her share as well.

And one guy who had worked in IT and unfortunately had health issues and lost his savings which is quite understandable.

I didn’t catch what you think as remarkable otherwise.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A Toyota minivan is a typical car that a powerful politician in the southern states would have. The car would have sufficient room for the BOSS, and the chamcha's who needs to be around all the time. Our people are usually impressed with the luxury that "poor" people have in America.

One other thing that impresses the middle class 3rd worlders is the body mass of poor people in America. "How can poor people be so fat ?"--- is something that has been a confusing thing for the natives of the 3rd world for decades.

4. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

Got it.

Maybe they aren’t aware that it’s a necessity because of the poor public transport available there. If one thinks about the public transport they have buses, autos and taxis in India and there are always plenty of choice and car ownership isn’t a necessity here. So from their view point is understandable but the car isn’t a luxury in US; rather a basic necessity tool.

Isn’t it a epidemic in America. It’s prevalent in the developed countries and even in India it’s on the rise. Hope atleast they realise these issues and correct their habits in India and prevent this risk factor.

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

My own kwestin for the Toyota minivan living woman is about the California Driving license. This is given to those who are resident in California. Resident means having a postal address. Not a post-office-box address. What happens when she has to renew her license ? Anyhow "not my monkeys or my circus", but it would be interesting to know