1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Poor Grandpas! Tsk Tsk...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Oct 25, 2016.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dreams are such interesting entities. Many people that I have talked to believe that one’s dreams are basically repressed desires buried within our subconscious minds. I am not sure I agree with that because if you go by that logic, I am in serious trouble.

In a recent dream, I was crawling alongside a giant slug in the land of Mordor. What do you suppose that means? Hmmm! It annoys me to no end that I was so slow even in my dreams. When you are trying to stay clear of the scorching Eye of Sauron and the morbid orcs that roam the land, crawling around with a buddy in leisure is not the brightest idea. If I could shake my head disapprovingly at that slow-crawling Meena, trust me, I would.

All my dreams are not so messed up. There are some that are relatively normal.

In one dream, I was the prosecuting attorney arguing a murder case against a Columbian drug dealer. I can’t seem to remember any of the arguments but the sweat that broke out on the accused’s upper lip is etched in my mind. I must have been a terror in that court.

My mom was proud of me when I told her about this dream. She said that she always knew that one of us in the family would become a lawyer as my grandfather was a lawyer and his brother was the justice of the Supreme Court. I can’t help but feel bad for my grandfathers though. They had to go to law school and pass the bar and everything unlike me. Poor grandpas!

I really must have lawyer in my blood. Last week, I woke up from an intense courtroom drama that had my heart racing wildly. I was the defense attorney this time grilling an eye witness on the stand. I am glad that I took the time to watch Law and Order episodes in the 90s. It sure came in handy in that dream. I took the witness apart and tore through his lies just like Sam Waterston does in L&O. I do hope that as I age, my dreams will mellow down to mere misdemeanor, traffic violation and family court cases because my heart may not survive the adrenaline kick of the criminal ones.

I must have been Irish in a previous birth for how else can I explain the dreams where I cast a circle, spin charms and whip up thunderstorms atop a cliff? I have a magic wand, pixie dust and the whole magic package in these dreams. I confess I cheated in a couple of them. I once used magic to get groceries home without going to the store and another time, I made the weighing scale lose 20 pounds when I was on it. I know it is wrong, ok? I know that using magic for personal gain is against the code of honor for all sorcerers. Power and vanity are not mutually exclusive, I found out. Magic can be very pretty too. One time I cast a spell that had a dying plant come alive with young blooms. In a dream of course. Sadly, in real life, plants and I are at war. They die when I walk within half a mile radius.

The night when we watched the re-run of the Jaws movie, I found myself in shark-infested waters watching creepy shark fins closing in on me. You would think that after watching Jaws, Jaws 2 and Jaws 3 movies, I would know better than to kick furiously in the water. Everyone knows sharks are attracted to sound waves. Duh! Oh btw, dreams have sound effects too because I heard the same music that instilled fear in the hearts of millions when Jaws was released. I woke up just before a freaky great white snapped off my feet. That was good timing all around.

This is my favorite one so far. I was walking into Kohl’s and get this - I went directly to the regular-priced merchandise. Oh wow! That was so cool but even when I was in the dream, I realized that something was not right because come on, everyone knows that all Desis go only to the clearance section first. But wait. That is not the best part. Guess where I was? I was browsing through clothes in the petite department. Hah! Talk about wild dreams!

How colorful are yours?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

wow Meena you ought to be one dream girl .. all the above in your snippet made me laugh. Anyone would hardly believe colorful dreams and here you are adding sound effects too ! Blame it on all those L&O series and Jaws ... Enjoyed reading

Luckily in my dreams, either I would visit unknown temples on earth or would have dogs playing all around me. Former is acceptable but latter is too scary as in real life I would run at the sight of dogs :)

sindmani and meenasankaran like this.
  3. meenasankaran

Your dreams sound normal, like it could happen to someone @jskls . My dream about crawling around with a giant slug - Why?? :BangHead:

Happy that you enjoyed the post, my friend. :blush:

jskls likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Meena! Diwali bonanza. So glad to see you. Talk of dreams! They can be described in just 3 ways - weird, weirder, weirdest. Of course there are some very pretty dreams I tend to cling on to.

How about recurring dreams? Like mom, dad and I going in an auto-rickshaw in Trivandrum and dad showing me his college which could be made to flip back and forth at the click of a switch and then being chased with those policemen with those strange looking hats?

Or a rhino chasing me to the edge of a cliff and me waking up in cold sweat?

These were some of the recurring dreams of childhood. I guess the rhino got scared of me when I grew up and decided to leave me alone!

Another one which made me believe that in another time and era, Trump would be throwing me out of his country because he did not like my religion: I am in some court - a very poor young woman. On a high throne sits a king (going by the fear in my heart, I guess he loves to make heads roll and then play football with them for a lark!) and I am backing out while bowing simultaneously, very careful not turn my back to the king even for a sec. Tell me, what business does a 4-5 year old have dreaming such crazy things? Maybe some past life memory???

Then the dreams about sitting cross-legged / in padmasana and levitating and going up and down the street like a frictionless disk? Or in a variation around the kitchen half way up the walls?

Recently though it is wonderful when I have very vivid dreams of mom and dad visiting me and I am with them at home just living a normal life!!! :-D

Dreaming is one thing, but it is not great fun (for other people) to hear someone fighting loudly in her sleep or singing in the middle of the night (must sound like something out of a horror movie indeed ..... with those white sari clad figures with open hair with a candle in their hands .....) Oh well! That is their problem, not mine! :-D

sindmani, meenasankaran and vaidehi71 like this.
  5. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Wow.. it was like watching a Harry Potter movie.. so colourful.. :joycat:

meenasankaran likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Strange,despite being a lawyer's grandson I have never argued in a court, not even in my dreams. Despite being an ardent fan of Tolkien and Peter Jackson, I have never been to Morodor or slugged it out with a giant slug. But I get lot of serial killers and Cannibals (Anthony Hopkins frequently appears as Hannibal Lecter in my dreams). No, they are not nightmares. I sort of like these guys (Particulatrly Hannibal). We need a whole lot of them to deplete the skyrocketing global population.

meenasankaran likes this.
  7. meenasankaran

Dear Satchi,

Totally loved reading about your 'larger than life' dreams. When the rhino was chasing you to the mountain top, did you ever turn back and look at it? You should have because then you could have seen it for what it was. I bet you a dollar that it had the body of the rhino but the face of the scary 12th standard chemistry teacher who was, incidentally, also built like the rhino. :biggrin: I have woken up many nights with cold sweat over my chemistry teacher too.

So Trump haunts your dreams too? In mine, he overlooks when his army gives each of us HIndus a tattoo on the arm like the cowboys branding cattle. The day may not be far when I am kicked out of here and back to India and I can't even wake up from that dream. History keeps us on our toes, I suppose.

I do agree it is strange that a 5 year old dreams of bowing before a King and carefully exiting the room. As strange as me crawling on my fours. What colorful lives we lead Satchi. I take comfort in that fact every day. :smile:

Thank you for that wonderful feedback. Enjoyed it much.

satchitananda likes this.
  8. meenasankaran

Thank you so much @Suja9 . My one prayer is to see life in all its glorious colors for as long as I can. :blush:

9. meenasankaran

Dear Balajee,

From one Tolkien fan to another, let me tell you that Mordor is not the best tourist spot for the human race. Why, the heat is 10 times worse than Chennai in June. And the Orcs stink like a sewer man. I don't know why I was slugging with a friend there in the first place. If I had any control over my dreams, next time I will be floating in blue waters sipping coke from a cup with umbrella.

And your idea for population control is not without merit Balajee. You should probably make a documentary and pitch it to the government. :tonguewink: