1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan - Iv Chapter 42

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Dec 4, 2013.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

This is the English Translation of Kalki’s Ponniyin Selvan, which has been nationalized by the Government of Tamilnadu and hence is in public domain.

The copyright for this translation however rests exclusively with the author, Varalotti Rengasamy. No part of this work shall be reproduced, transmitted or otherwise dealt with in any form whatsoever except with the express written permission of the author. Quoting parts of the work for the purpose of literary criticism or comments, with due credits to the author is however permissible. The author morally asserts his copyright.

PONNIYIN SELVAN PART IV

THE CROWN

Chapter 42 –“She Is Not A Woman

The Crown Prince was lost in thoughts. Childhood memories flooded his mind. For a while, they made his mind boil and then disappeared giving place to other memories. Karikalan forcefully controlled those thoughts and as a sign of victory let out a long sigh. He spoke to Vandhiya Thevan in a calm voice.

“Let bygones be bygones. Let’s just talk about the future. That was the reason I pulled you out of the crowd. Looks like we have lost the bet, for the wild boar is nowhere to be seen.

"Vallavaraiya, Let us use this time to discuss what should be done now and how should we do it. I shudder to think how I am going to talk to Nandini about the blood relationship I share with her. I can’t even look at her face now.

"When I accidentally see her face she retains the expression she had when she pleaded for the life of Veerapandiyan. Her eyes seem at that time like a sharp sword which cuts my heart.

"My heart bleeds when I think that my own sister, my own blood, out of her love for Veerapandiyan so passionately pleaded for his life.

"What do you think Vandhiya Theva? Do you think she does not know the truth yet? Do you think that she still does not know that she is the Emperor’s daughter and our dear sister?”

“My Lord, if she had known she would not have joined hands with the conspirators of Pandya Kingdom. If only she had known that the Emperor is her father she would not have let a child sit on a throne and crowned him as the King of Pandyas and the Emperor of the Chozha Kingdom.

"She would not have drawn her sword and would not have sworn to save the Crown and the throne even at the cost of her life. I saw all these things in Thiruppurambayam War Memorial at midnight on a fateful day. Yes, my Lord, that is not hearsay; I saw it with my own eyes.”

“I am surprised why she let you alive after you had seen all those things.”

“There is nothing odd about it, my Lord. It might be due to the natural compassion in any woman’s heart.”

“Vandhiya Theva, you are innocent. You do not know about the ways of the world. You don’t know the deceit and treachery that can lie in a woman’s heart. I don’t know why she let you go alive. But I know intuitively why she sent a secret message to me to come here to Kadambur.”

“Why, Prince?”

“She wants to kill me. She wants to take revenge for the death of Veerapandiyan. “

“Your Highness, Princess Kunthavai and the Chief Minister sent me here precisely to avert that kind of a catastrophe. I told you several times not to go to Kadambur. But you never listened, Prince.”

“Vandhiya Theva, Kunthavai and the Chief Minister are very intelligent people. But even then they cannot block the hands of Destiny. I think Destiny wants to vindicate what the astrologers told about my brother Arulmozhi – that he will be the Emperor of the three worlds.

"And perhaps that was the reason Destiny pulled me up here. Who knows what will happen to me here? Vandhiya Theva, did you see Kandhanmaran shooting the arrow from behind? Did he want to hit the bear or me?”

“I didn’t see, my Lord. But I don’t think Kandhanmaran will stoop to the level of such a blatant betrayal. I don’t think Kandhanmaran will kill his guest, and that too the Emperor’s son and that too from behind. No, he won’t do that, Your Highness.

"Well, I don’t have any regards for his intelligence. He was slain and was lying unconscious. It was I who carried him from there and saved him.

"Because I was the first person he saw after he opened his eyes he thought that I was the one who did the back-stabbing. Ever since that day he considers me his first enemy and has been hostile to me. He may not be smart; but he is not treacherous, my Lord. He could not have done that.”

“My dear friend, you don’t know the seductive powers of a beautiful woman. It can even make the best of men to betray.”

“My Lord, I too know something about the seductive charms of a woman. But never in my life will I betray any one.”

“Oh! But Manimekalai is a good girl. She will never induce you to do an act of betrayal.”

“I am not talking of Manimekalai, My Lord. Do you think fireflies will appear attractive to a man who has seen the Full Moon itself?”

“Whom do you call as Full Moon?”

“Please bear with me, my Lord. I am referring to the Princess at Pazhaiyaarai.”

“Idiot! You naughty boy! The greatest kings on earth are longing for Kunthavai’s hand. You should not even think of my sister in that manner.”

“Prince, the Full Moon gives its rays to the Emperors of the world. Even the poor and homeless delight in the rays of the moon. Who can prevent them?”

“You are right. There is no point in getting angry with you. In fact I wantonly sent you to my sister with a message. I think she must be pleased with you.

"Otherwise you won’t talk like this. But don’t share this with Parthibendra Pallavan. His long term dream is to become the son-in-law of the Chozha Emperor and thereby become the King of Thondai Mandalam.”

“That must have been the situation some time before. Not now, Your Highness. Right now Parthibendran and Kandhanmaran are at the feet of Nandini Devi. Her slightest whim is a divine command to them. They are ready to give their lives for her.”

“I have been watching that development, my friend. In fact I am a little afraid of those two people now.”

“Considering the developments I think it is high time that you meet Nandini and tell her truth.”

“My dear friend, I don’t think I’d have the courage to do that. Why don’t you speak to her on my behalf?”

“She won’t believe me, my Lord. Once I deceived her and went away from her hold. So she might think even this is a kind of deception.”

“But tell me how I can meet Nandini alone. She is always in the ladies’ chambers.”

“I can help you, Prince. Through Manimekalai. Leave it to me.”

“Looks like Manimekalai will dance to your tunes. That’s a good development. If I manage to get her married to you, I’ll be happy.”

“No, my Lord. I consider Manimekalai as my sister. I want her to marry somebody far higher in stature than me.”

“I don’t get it.”

“That’s news to me, my Lord. I am sure that the girl has reserved a soft corner for herself in the heart of the Crown Prince of Chozha Kingdom. Honestly, Prince, I talked about Manimekalai as firefly compared to the Full Moon of Kunthavai...

"But the truth is that no one in this world with the only exception of Princess Kunthavai can be equal to Manimekalai in intelligence and qualities.

"If you married Manimekalai all our problems will be solved. Sambuvarayar and Kandhanmaran will come to our side. Pazhuvettaraiyars will be isolated. Nandini too will be weakened. Madhuranthakan cannot even dream of becoming the King. We will crush the conspiracy of the Chieftains and that of the body-guards of Pandyas.”

“Thambi, you are right. But I have not come to Kadambur to get married. I think we are caught. I am sure Pazhuvettaraiyar is going to come back to Kadambur with a big army.”

“Then why don’t we send word to your grandfather, the King of Thirukkovalur to come with an army? Should we not be prepared for such an eventuality?”

“I too have been thinking on those lines. At times I can’t control my temper. I want to raze this Kadambur Palace to the ground and hang all those bloody conspirators at the palace gates. I am controlling myself only because of my father. If only you had brought him to Kanchi... “

“Prince, even to deliver your letter... Oh My God... that was the hardest mission I ever handled.”

“Yes. The Emperor is virtually held as a hostage by the Pazhuvettaraiyars. I have built a Golden Palace for my parents at Kanchi. The Palace is vacant; only bats are living there now. I don’t think I will have the blessing of receiving my parents in the Palace when I am alive. I don’t think I’ll go out of Kadambur alive.”

“I am worried, my Lord. No I am frightened. As I hear you talk I think it is all the more necessary to summon the armed forces of King Malayaman.”

“I am thinking of deputing you for that purpose.”

“I am sorry, Your Highness. I have strict orders from your sister never to leave you alone even for a second.”

“You have been true to your orders till now.”

“Parthibendra Pallavan does not have much to do in Kadambur Palace. He finds it difficult to while away his time.”

“You are right. Every second he does not see Nandini is like a century to him. I never thought Parthibendran will become a slave to a woman’s beauty. Let us send him to Malayaman.”

“That’s the right thing to do, My Lord.”

“If something happens in his absence you are there to protect me.”

“Prince, whether I am there or not, whether anybody is there or not to guard you, I am sure no one in this world will dare to hurt you. Those old warriors were talking derisively about you in your absence; but they have been trembling in fear ever since they saw you.”

“Thambi, I am not afraid of any man who wants to fight with me with a sword face to face. I am frightened of those like Kandhanmaran who want to kill me from behind.”

“But my Lord, you have again started accusing Kandhanmaran.”

“Listen, Thambi. I am afraid of the evil in a woman’s heart. As I think of what a woman’s heart can hold I tremble in fear. When she sees me in that mysterious way I feel a spear is piercing my chest. When I think of her I become weak in my legs.”

“My Lord, yes, you should fear Nandini. I am not denying that. I know the kind of hatred that resides in her heart. When I think of why she let me go on that day I am afraid there might be a treacherous plan behind that seemingly innocent act. But all these fears arise because she does not know the truth. If you tell her that you are her brother then all our fears and worries will go away.”

“Do you think so, Vallavaraiya? You are smart. But you are too innocent to know how a woman’s mind will think. If Nandini knows that she is Sundara Chozhar’s daughter her hatred will become a hundred fold. Even if we all promise to make her the Empress of Chozha Kingdom she won’t be pacified.”

“Prince, if that is what you think, then leave the job to me. I’ll reveal the secret to Nandini Devi and try to pacify her.”

“Even you can’t do that, my friend. No one can assuage her hard feelings. Listen. If our Chozha clan has to be saved either I have to die. Or she has to die. Or both have to die. Let me kill her with the same sword which I used on Veerapandiyan.”

“What is this, Prince? Why do you talk like that?”

“Vandhiya Theva, it is all right to kill a person to save a Kingdom. What if the person killed happens to be a woman? What if the woman happens to be my own sister?

"In fact Nandini is not a woman. She is a devil who has for the time being taken the form of a woman. And if we let her live the great Chozha clan which has been flourishing since the time of Vijayalaya Chozha will go to dogs. Oh My God! What is that?”

Adithya Karikalan was startled by the sudden noise.

There was some rustling sound coming from the bushes nearby. It appeared that somebody was fighting there. They rode to that place. It was a very rare sight. A wild boar was fighting with a leopard.

“Aha! The man we have been searching for is here,” shouted Karikalan. He was obviously referring to the wild boar which they were chasing a little while ago.

“I think the leopard will finish him. We won’t have anything to do.”

“Do you think so? Just watch the fun.”

It was an interesting sight. The Leopard pounced on the boar and was trying to kill it with its teeth and claws. But the thick skin of the boar did not yield to the leopard’s attacks. Soon the boar got the upper hand.

It ran towards the leopard and with its short horns knocked down to the ground and gave hell to the wild cat. The long teeth of the boar tore the skin of the leopard. When finally the boar knocked it down for a second time the leopard lay on the ground dead.

“Thambi, the leopard is dead. The boar will now turn towards us. Let us be prepared.”

Karikalan loaded his bow with an arrow and aimed at the boar.

The arrow hit the neck of the boar. The boar shook his body. The arrow fell down. It turned around to look at the two horses and the riders. Then it saw the fallen leopard. The boar was sure no harm would come from the wild cat.

It now sprang on the horses with enormous ferocity. Before Karikalan could load his bow with an arrow the boar attacked his horse. The horse was overwhelmed by the sudden attack causing it to shift its hind legs. They were caught in the roots of a tree.

The horse could no longer sustain its balance and it fell down. Karikalan was trapped under the horse.

The boar retreated a few steps and went for the fallen horse with even greater ferocity.

Original Author: Kalki
    Translation: Varalotti Rengasamy
    Editing Support: knot2share

© Varalotti Rengasamy aka R.Sridharan,MADURAI