1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pls Suggest Good Diet To Reduce Triglycerides

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by abc00, May 12, 2017.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

When the triglycerides reduce the total cholesterol will reduce

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Sunshine04

Canola oil is not a natural oil it seems.
    Just to sell it our oils were touted to having high cholesterol.
    Sesame oil is also good.

Laks09 and Naari like this.
  3. Sunshine04

4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Wow, I googled it too, did not know that it was a genetically modified product! makes me wonder, what other things am I consuming that I think are healthy but in reality are not??:(:(

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Sunshine04

In USA buy organic cold pressed coconut oil from Costco or amazon
    Eat nuts like almonds,walnuts.
    Avoid cashews

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

OP,

If you eat oats, try having oats bran which has a good amount of soluble fiber which will help you lower the LDL ( bad cholesterol ) . We are a huge fan of this and I especially love it's texture over the regular steel cut or the quick 1 minute oats .

Along with my oatmeal, I also sprinkle a big tablespoon of flax seeds powder . They are good for omega 3 and cholesterol .

Unfortunately, there is no magic pill or cure for this . Sometimes cholesterol is also heridetary but mostly it is bad diet and lack of exercise. It's a lifestyle change and with proper diet and 30 mins excercise, it can be kept under control .

I will also caution against using coconut or coconut oil a lot . It has a good amount of saturated fat and lauric acid which is known to increase cholesterol . Coconut is a common ingredients in a south Indian cuisines be it chutney , rice dishes or even in sambar . Best oil is olive oil for daily cooking .

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Back then, my DH's doctor asked me to replace canola oil and change to olive and some coconut oil citing GMOs in canola oil as the reason. Now a days he is a big proponent of good old coconut oil. He says the latest research found that coconut oil increases HDL and helps lower LDL. From personal experience, I use both olive and coconut oil since the doc asked me to switch. Now since cold pressed virgin coconut oil is available in plenty, I use that primarily.
    I don't use too much of any oil though. I've always used it sparingly. Moderation is the key. I have to reiterate the need for portion control every now and again around here. Now it's a real issue with a teenager who thinks she know better than me :)

Btw - as always, science isn't a static subject. Research is ever evolving. Tomorrow the researchers may find an underlying issue with olive/coconut/avocado oils. I have noticed that most researchers lately have pointed to doing things the way my grandmother did(coconut oil, removing starch from rice, more lentils and whole grains, less rice, red rice instead of white, no refined sugars etc). Might as well follow GM's rule of thumb and avoid refined sugars and deep fried foods(so so hard and I've not done this in a while now).

Naari likes this.
  8. Sunshine04

coconut oil is expensive for food companies to use in their products. They would rather use hydrogenated soybean, sunflower, canola, or safflower. Comparatively, these cheaper oils are pennies on the dollar.

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,
    I think going to natural way is a good start - try to reduce the intake of processed foods.
    1) Check your weight. BMI should be<24.
    2) exercise : If you dont have weight issue dont need to change food habits. If you like rice, go for brown rice one time per day and may be light meals for dinner (chappathi, veggies). I think our food habits and body are tuned to where we are from and what is available in that place. We are from tropical region, so better to use natural food available/from that region. So completely changing our food habits wont work for stomach as we are used to it (my own experience).
    3) Eat more fibre- include more vegetables and fruits. Go for organic options if you can.
    4) Reduce sugars. Check food details each time. Give up sodas/colas (each bottle contain around 50 g or more), high fructose products (eg: syrup)
    5) Reduce the use of fried food. (dont buy something that contain hydrogenated oils. eg: Dalda we use in India, frozen foods, ready to use items etc..). Prefer steamed foods over fried food. Reduce the use of oils. Use only for seasoning.(I also use coconut oil, olive oil etc..Recently I noticed that shelf space of coconut oil in Walmart also increased. Look like more people are using it now.I bring it from India or buy from amazon or cosco etc. I need to think about canola.I use it once in a while.) . Dont use ghee, butter etc..
    6) Omega 3 foods . This is were flax seeds come in to picture. Salmon/similar fish is a good source of Omega 3. It is also good for skin. My dh use flax seeds oil capsules every day. So far I am not aware of any issue (here is the link : https://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/150366/450.jpg)
    7) Try to improve your HDL.(low HDL is harmful like high LDL)
    8) Check food labels all the time (calories, fat, sugar, sodium, oils etc).

These inputs are based on my own (also dh's) experience

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017