1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pls Suggest Easy Ways To Control Appetite

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I feel I maybe able to lose some weight by cutting down on my portion sizes..but it becomes difficult as I feel hungry and dizzy.
    I have the habit of munching on something or the other when bored, hungry , sad or emotional.
    I really envy people who have self control over their food, and feel full by just eating 2 chapattis.
    Any easy ways to reduce appetite and control hunger?
    Drinking plenty of water doesn't help.
    Consumption of coffee and tea were effective and I would not feel hungry for a long time.
    But I have stopped drinking coffee and tea due to other issues like acidity.
    So please suggest some good and healthy ways to reduce appetitite.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Drink a lot of water and stay busy. These two things might keep you from overeating. Try to stay positive, overlook little irritants in daily life. Trust me all of us are pissed by something or the other. Drink little warm water everytime if possible as it promotes weight loss. Try to cook very simple food without much oil which you will not be able to eat much

3. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

I am also facing same problem. I am ttc and know that i have to lose weight in order to have a good chance. Still, when it comes to eating, i am unable to discipline my mind. I also wonder how people do diets. Also, dieting makes me restless and i end up eating more. My husband also scolds me for this fasting and binging tendency. Maybe better to do exercise and cut out sugar items completely. I have heard that not taking sugar helps lose 1to2 kg in a month.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Needtobestrong likes this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Instead of trying to cut down on the quantity, start with eating / binging on the right things. It has always worked for me whenever I wanted to get the crazy appetite in control as I too eat out of control when I am down or bored n end up adding pounds.

Whenever I have time, I will cut many fruits, vegetables, dry roasted plain peanuts / nuts, salads that I like, steamed corn, etc n put in servable boxes n put in the fridge. N take whatever I need for the day n keep it next to me through out the day. So whenever I just feel like eating, I eat these n continue to work. So even if am continuously eating / binging, am eating healthy stuff. N these healthy snacks fills you up better than junk food.

If you want to portion control like eating only two rotis / dosas, load up on the side dish, so eat a big portion of healthily cooked veg side dish to compensate in the beginning. It fills you up more than you think. Cabbage, lady's finger, spinach n all r good options. And when you are making rotis, keep it oil/ ghee less so it has only atta or multigrain n water in it. Start experimenting with other grains n millets also, it adds as varieties too.

Am a desserts addict, I love chocolates, I have 50-70% dark chocolate that I consume or mix into some hot low fat milk to make a nice hot chocolate.

It almost never works when you try to limit the capacity you are used to, you may end up eating double to compensate. But just keep away the junk options n eat the right food without limitation. Just to exaggerate, eat a kg of carrots or cabbage or apples or guavas instead of a readymade chips packet or biscuit packet. That itself will be a good start.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

agree with @ashneys.
    @Needtobestrong there is always a pattern to our cravings and bingeing. our minds believe that eating is one easy solutions - you are happy eat, you are sad eat, you are stressed you eat. the exercise is to eat when really hungry and to eat right.

drinking too much water is also harmful. your body needs only so much water and there are calculators that tell you how much. and please add the tea, buttermilk and soups or whatever liquids also are part of your water intake. so if you are to drink 3 ltrs you may already be having 1 ltr in other forms and you need to drink that 2 ltrs only.

coming to eating, allow your brain to process you are eating. it takes time for the brain to realise you are eating. so savor you food. i have seen people pop a fist full of peanuts into their mouth and go for the next they will not even realise that they are doing that. take one at a time and savor. the same fist of peanuts wiulr make you feeel full and good

choose your snacks wisely. a bowl of cucumber with a sprinkle of crushed herbs and peanuts is more fulfilling than one chakli/murukku.

have more vegetables and fruits that are low on calories / or sugars. try to snack of seeds. say pumpkin and sunflower both are good for your hair, eateogen level. just get thr unshelled ones so that you will take the time to shell and eat.

do not reduce portions too much that your body thinks yoi are starving and starts storing fats. the key is to burn calories and keep the burning going. do not mess up your metabolism when you are young and healthy otherwise.

with age metabolism slows, exercising becomes less and diet is the way to go.

be consistent, comitted in your fitness goals. it is not always about the scales, it is about the inches, the activness, the fitness that measure your progress..

all the best.

Needtobestrong and Sandycandy like this.
  6. uniquename

uniquename Senior IL'ite

I was in your position at one time. Then I stopped eating carbohydrates completely for nearly a year. I had no rice, chapathi, potatoes etc. Etc. In 18 months I lost nearly 26 kgs. I also started doing brisk walking for about an hour every day... approx 6/7kms which was built over a period of time. After about a year once a week I wud hv a small chapathi or a handful of rice. I had protein rich diet, I.e. fish, meat, eggs, vegetables, etc n supplemented it with multivitamin too. This was 5 yrs ago. I now eat properly. I go for walks too.
    Do talk to ur nutritionist and ur Dr n see if this could work for you too. Good luck.

7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Including ginger in your meals helps curb appetite.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, I dont know your food schedule, but try to eat in small quantities but increase frequency of food intake . Instead of 4 times per day, eat 6 times per day. If you feel hungry try to eat fruits as snacks. Create a schedule and stick to schedule. Please dont starve, it will have opposite effect. If body goes to starving mode, all food will be converted to fat. Try to increase protein intake. Never skip break fast. If there is a will, there is a way.

9. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi justanothergirl,everyone has given wonderful suggestions,thats how we support other.
    Portion control s good only when ur able to control that hunger.if you take 2 dosai instead of three,replace that with salad or sabji etc.(cucumber,tomato,amla,or fruits nuts). otherwise you will end up having any junk available in home.so keep your stomach full with good options
    Always try to eat veg,then go for roti so that by salad your stomach s full already.so 2 Roti's will be satisfied.this work s for me
    Instead of portion control,replace your little portion with salad and fruit. lentils soups.protein like channa will keep you satisfied longer
    Other options will be jeera water,buttetmilk,almonds,dates,cucumber,veg juice like tomato and ginger etc can be a good option.tender coconut water,protein shake(home made).these are healthy
    Don't stay hungry bcos instead of 1 dosai we will eat a piece of cake etc by which we add more calories
    Good luck

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes thirst is mistaken for appetite. Also if all 5 tastes are not consumed I feel like eating more. I take lemon with warm water at times and I also take pomegranate flavored green teas. Sometimes tart flavor curbs cravings. I am still struggling with portion control snacking ... I follow everything as above still I take months to lose a little while I gain the Same back in few days. My simple technique these days is move out of kitchen as soon as possible finishing my chores and do yoga at Primetime when I usually snack a lot. This way I have to stay empty 4 hrs before yoga and after Yoga I cross my prime-snacking-time that helps me avoid over-indulge. Still I snack in less qty though. Try different things and see what works best for you

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Needtobestrong and Archanaanchan like this.