1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Tell Me Why My Toddler Is Behaving Like This?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 11, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I have a 17 month old toddler. He clearly understands what we speaks and responds well, though he is yet to speak.
    Now coming to situation 2 days back I was putting my toddler to sleep. He generally sleeps on me hearing a song. That day he was bit disturbed and playful. He had accidentally hit his head on my lips. My lips started swelling and blood came out. My toddler was getting worried, patted my lips with his hands , asked about me to his dad via actions etc. We changed his mood by sitting in balcony and singing to him. After that he slept peacefully.

Seems next day my mom came to the house and asked what happened to 'amma'. He pointed to the lips indicating i got hurt there. Next my mom asked who did it? He then pointed my husband with a small laugh. Seems my mom asked him couple of times and every time he pointed to my husband.

I couldn't get his reactions out of my mind. My husband is saying I'm overreacting.

Now my questions are
    1)Is my toddler scared of the incident?
    2)Was it wrong on my mom's part to ask who did it?
    3)Why is he pointing to my husband? Is he afraid that he caused the pain?

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on in his tiny mind.We never shouted/scolded/raised hands on him. He is a happy,healthy child.

RohiniVenkat likes this.

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

I have a 5 year old son. Every time he does something naughty or hurts someone by accident and me or DH question him about that, he gives a kind of smile and points fingers to his dad. We all know that its my son who did that naughty act and we all laugh at him. Once the laugh is over, he admits that he did it but he did not mean to do it and that it happened by accident and he apologizes for that with the person who is hurt.

However, the silly little fight that DH and DS have after DS points his finger to DH is a treat to watch.
    Don't sweat the small stuff. He is not even 2 years old. There is nothing major going on in his brain except that sweet naughtiness which is very much appropriate for his age.

sindmani likes this.
  3. blackbeauty84

Thanks Sboingala. You have put my mind at ease.

sbonigala likes this.
  4. Chulbuli04

Chulbuli04 Silver IL'ite

My son is 14 months old, he has started saying daddy always. He never says mummy. One day after I returned from office, my DH said he was saying mummy all the while. I was so eager to hear him saying mummy. I was literally begging him to say so. Every time he would naughtily smile at me and then say daddy instead of mummy. Till now he has not said in front of me. Everyone at home says he is saying mummy quite often when I'm not around. How smart these kids are to put mom's in stake.

curiousgals78 and blackbeauty84 like this.
  5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Nothing to be worried, My 23 month old DD also point other whoever is near for any naughty action and will point herself for good things. She undersatnd and speak very well. For example - y'day she broke one cup accidently and when I asked her who did, she told daddy (my DH was standing next to her). When my DH asked who did she said 'Dada' (my elder one). So this is very common. One day there was a new crayon set what my elder DD got in school, when I asked my younger whose crayon is this , she told me 'Ovi' (her name).

RohiniVenkat likes this.
  6. blackbeauty84

Glad to hear it's normal. I was really worried that he is scared or such

7. blackbeauty84

Thanks Priya. Glad to know it's common.

8. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

Yeah its very common

blackbeauty84 likes this.
  9. RohiniVenkat

RohiniVenkat Silver IL'ite

Aww.. This is a cute incident.. This is actually cute naughtiness.. Just love it and try to tape a video out of it.. In future it will be a treat for him too..

blackbeauty84 likes this.