1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help Decide My Life

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by New12345, Dec 26, 2016.

1. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Please give me a good advice according to your knowledge and experience. My decision and life completely relies on what you suggest me

I m 27 years old.
    1) I belong to lower middle class family from India. Have a younger sister.
    I Studied B.Tech.Then,worked for 3 years in IT. Got married(arranged). Came to USA with him on H4. I must say here, I didnt like to marry a guy who works outside of India, because right from my 10 years age I m in hostel. So, I dont want to live away from my parents. But "fate and situtaion" had differnt plans and I agreed for this marraige.

2) My husband left to Usa after 2 weeks of marraige. He never called himself to me at anytime to talk with me casually before or after marraige. Yes, its the bitter truth. He never called me. Its me who called and messaged him always. So, i got that he is not actually interested in me but he married as because of the, i think, "society". His family is far less than financially settled than us. when i went to inlaws house just to stay for few days before going to usa, my inlaws verbally abused me infront of their all other relatives to handover all the financial property which comes under dowry to them. I literally cried,later because I was afraid of how my future is gonna turn. There
    was no benefit even informing to my husband regarding their parents "words" because, by then i knew, he got married to mebecause he wanted money.

3) After coming to US,by now, after 3 years of marraige, I have gone through a lot of physical abuse,assault in just talking for the truth,fearlessly. For Ex: Once he asked me, "when is your father going to give us the property because, he wont live for another 50 years". !!! I resisted. Then he started to beat me like anything.A part of it is, he slapped me with his two hands on my two cheeks vigorously for 4,5 times continuosly. And then he did a lot.

He slapped another time. He twists my hand if he gets angry and lot many other I wont even remember while writing this. There is a lot of verbal and physical abuse. And I m sure there is no end for it until I live with him. He once beat me and kicked me on my back while I was sleeping on floor, in India at his home in front of his parents and his parents encouraged him and abused me.

4) I informed to my parents but they are in a fear that if they say something he might leave me and I have a younger sister to get married yet. So, I m , everyday,evry minute I m living in fear that what might happen if I say something. Being a educated am living like my own hell. I donnot like my life like this. No, not at all. So before 20 days again he started abusing me, then i booked for aappointment with divorce lawyer and went to him. They explained all my rights, but I didnt proceed in filing or anything. He knows that I have seen a lawyer.

5) Now, what i ever wanted was, having a kid before i turn 30. But I donot like to have him(my so called, husband) in my life. I feel there is nothing to share between us. But, talking about sex life, we are good. There is no problem with that for both of us. Its like, just we are satisfying both our needs.
    What I want is a life partner, who can share my thoughts and feelings. I hope I can still get a job on my own and would like to start a new life. I have two options now.Please choose one as your answer and guide me and tell me if I am wrong.

a) Living this life with my husband like this and accepting it as it is and get job and try to find happiness in that and then gradually having a baby and spending time with her. Because after seeing this type of behaviour from Indian husband, I dont think I can trust another person so soon, if I end this marraige, and having a kid and having marital life would be a dream and I fear i might die alone.

b) Put an end to this life and get divorced and go out and live happily with freedom because I m still 27, and I have a lot of life ahead of me. Because if i have a kid in future and cant go away from this person, then I might keep cursing myself for making my life myself hell.

I m mind boggling myself with both of the above options. Once I feel its good to go with
    option a. After sometime i feel to go with option b. Please suggest. Because my whole life and everything depends on this decision as you see.

2. Ragavisang

Ragavisang Gold IL'ite

Hello New12345, it is really saddening to read your story. Since you are only 27... if I were you I would definitely choose the 2nd option. But it is your life , you have to think thru it before taking a decision. If he is hitting you, for me it is a big warning sign... sincerely don't know how could you people accept these kind of abuse... and if you can't stand up for yourself and how would you stand up for your baby...can't even think about it. IT IS YOUR LIFE AND YOU ARE 27 YEARS OLD , BY THIS TIME YOU SHOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

Depressedmind19 and New12345 like this.
  3. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Thanks Ragavisang for your reply. Sincerely, i couldnt withstand this, happening to me. But one would go mad, when who(my parents) got me married , are the ones who stay calm looking all this happen. I m in a dilemma, whether is this common in Indian society? Whether all the girls who gets married has gone/going thru this. No one has given me clarity.
    On the top, everybody is advicing me to have kids to solve this problem. I know that this is a stupid solution.
    But seriously, you raised a question for me, If I cant stand for myself, how would I for my kids? Yes, I need to think about it.

4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

I would like to answer this question about your dilemma. No, this is not common in Indian society. No, no girls who get married go through this sort of verbal and physical abuse as part of their married life. I hope I gave you some clarity. Big No. Your husband is an abuser. He is not fit to be a husband, forget about being a dad. You are just 27. Even if you are 37 and have a kid, I would advise you to break free from this abuser, who has never taken the trouble to call you, and who physically assaults you. Being a well educated person, you don't have to put up with this nonsense. Imagine your younger sister in this situation, would you want her to put up with it for parent's and society's sake? Please divorce this guy and start your life afresh. God bless you!

bhagya85, tkpriya, New12345 and 2 others like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You need to stay away from your husband and your husband ought to be behind bars. He is an abuser and having a child with him will open a new can of worms. You will bring another being into this world to be abused. Having a child is not a solution at all. It will only make you more stuck. I'm sorry to say most Indian "elders" wish not for the person's individual happines; only to save face in front of society. Hence the utterly stupid advice. A child is a by-product of a loving relationship not a path to one.

It is all well and good to plan one's life and set goals to achieve milestones. However **** happens. Now your priority must be to get out of this abusive marriage and make a life for yourself. It's besides the point when you wished to have child. It is unfair and wrong to have and child with this abuser.

There are many many people, even on this forum, who have walked and user way from abusive marriages and have found loving partners. It is better to be alone anyway than live with a person who has no sense of right and wrong. Next time he raises his hand on you, call the cops.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    tkpriya, Ind3, Swetha2017 and 3 others like this.
  6. Ragavisang

Ragavisang Gold IL'ite

You nailed it Vennella:clap2:. I'm sorry to say this, nowadays my attitude is changing...before, I really feel pity on Victims and now I'm very much upset with the people who are playing the Victim role... i want to say it loud...for god sake stand up for yourself people..Even God helps those only help themselves.

To you New12345, Have you hit anyone in your adult life? My guess is Not. Why...bec you know it is morally wrong. Then how could you let that happen to you. But if you accept this stupidity and who knows you may continue the same to your (future) child. In this era we (Majority) are not even hitting the child hard for disciplining them . Come back to your senses and STAND UP FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE NO ONE CAN AND WILL DO IT FOR YOU.

New12345 and guesshoo like this.
  7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

You should get out of this relation as soon as possible.
    Did you call 911 when he beat you? That would really screw his H1b visa and his plans to stay here..He would be deported and forget about his Green card processing anymore....I hope you have put a case of domestic violence....I seriously hope you did it because he will then be afraid of you and wont dare touch you again until you get out of here...

Please do not be afraid of the fact that if you do this or that ..your younger sister marriage will get affected...Everyone in this life comes with a destiny...Right now, whatever steps you are NOT taking that you should have is actually a SIN to yourself.. Keep doing the right things that you are supposed to do and GOD will put all the things in right place....

you are educated person, your first step should be to scare this guy of police complaint here..
    secondly, get enrolled in MS program in nearby university, if you have done Btech and worked, you can easily prepare for GRE/TOEFL in a month and get good scores...things can be worked out if you want to stay here there are a lot of options... google CPT/MS/Certificate programs.... getting H1b from H4 is bit tough but there are consultants who can guide you....You can always come back to USA from India..if you want to go back and work near your parents you can do that...India is changing, so its mentality...go for your goals, where there is a will there is a way..but plz dont suffer and be with this person and make your life hell....you are right now thinking rationally, in some time you will not know how time flies by and where your life went, and there will be a point of no return then....please RUN FAST from this relation...TAKE the steps RIGHT NOW. DO not care about anybody not even about your sister right now, you need to get out of this relation and dont do it without slapping domestic violence case on this guy.....

- So in short, assess if you want to be in INDIA or USA, depending on that, take steps- in India, you can contact your previous employer in India for job /use your contacts..just file a police complaint here for your DH who is supposed to give you financial support to fly back....back home you can slap 498a (dowry harassment) on the whole family....you can screw them big time..this guy's dream of earning dollars and greed all will be screwed if you go to police here and in India. if you plan to stay here, check out the nearest university, I can assure you people who can here without any penny in hand got settled, you just need to be smart...here you can get grace period of stay if you apply for divorce etc...

- Do not care what people will say. not even your own parents/sister. Save yourself right now..do the right things..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    guesshoo, Ragavisang and New12345 like this.
  8. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

HI Vennella, thanks for your reply. What you said is absolutely true. I dont need to put up with him. But a sensitive side of my girl heart says, at times, I should try and have patience to set my life in straight path. But, it is not happening. So, i should think of it now.

9. sarakar

sarakar New IL'ite

Hi there,

Abuse is a no-no, we have to respect ourselves by getting out of this situation and definitely not bring another life into this world at this time. It seems from your post that you are not making any hasty decisions and instead thinking through as much as possible. is is a great trait and attitude and I would say leverage this attitude to your advantage - plan and take next steps.
    Regardless of your age, this is NOT a situation to endure. Stand up for yourself now and plan to get yourself out of this situation.

Few considerations I can think of at this time :
    -is your sister's marriage happening soon?
    -Do you work as in can you be financially independent?
    -Is your family aware of the gravity of the situation?
    -Do you have some sort of support system here - friends, neighbors, family etc?

New12345 likes this.
  10. New12345

New12345 New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply guesshoo. Yes, I will call cops next time he physically abuses me.

Ragavisang likes this.