1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Clear My Confusion!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by aratisajjan, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:D :thumbsup:We had Thanksgiving in America only couple of weeks ago. Everyvone is exhausted giving thanks. I posted my question on thanksgiving in India:

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Where is the post @Amulet, I didn't find it.

Somethings are not inherently desi. Eg. Imagine going towards your girl gang in college during BAchelors and as you get closer to the group, bend slightly at waist and say namaste with your hands in front of you and take a moment in that pose...just like desi ladies are portrayed in some airport or cultural event over seas.
    Namaste is not a greeting to be said to your peers in college or below that age. There is hello, hi and then there is no substitute for hello, hi in desi dialects. We want to often translate exactly between cultures but things get lost in translation
    There is no thanks in desh, several times an hour, as it exists in Catholic English speaking cultures. OP has some influence from someone who went to catholic school in India. Op, I say this because I was raised by parents who both went to catholic school and they instilled in us to say sorry, thank you.
    Ops culture at parental home doesn't match with the average desi household ( when we were young) culture.
    Op, learn from your friends that you like. As far as I know, too much thanks is not okay in desi culture. Seriously! I had to learn in my undergrad in India. Rem that clip from SRK movie,"friendship mei no sorry no thank you" something like that, that clip was my bible to unlearn things, believe me it is empowering

Amulet likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

That post is at this link: Never Mind.....
    I learnt that "Thank you" to all and sundry is a western habit, more in egalitarian societies, and does not translate well when practised in feudal systems.... where groups are separated by hierarchies, that could be real or imagined.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  4. aratisajjan

aratisajjan Bronze IL'ite

Thank u...I should start doing this too

5. aratisajjan

Yeah, I will
    I will start working on it..Thank u

6. aratisajjan

Yeah even I feel I'm overreacting n expecting a lot..I wil start working on it

7. aratisajjan

Thank u..Makes lot of sense
    Thank u so much..I will start working on it

Mehana likes this.
  8. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Ask yourself, "Why do you give? Do you give to receive or because you enjoy giving?"

Sure, it’s nice to receive a thank you or something in return, however ask yourself where that desire for reciprocation coming from and why you expected something back.

The best gifts are the ones that we give freely. The trick is to get away from our own egos and accept that we may not get something back.

If it brings joy by giving, that in itself is a gift.

I was in a similar situation; and I found an article which had 5 TIPs.

GIVE WITH A FULL HEART

All we really need is love and that begins with loving ourselves. If we are continually looking outside ourselves for gratification and acknowledgement we are not really giving with a full heart.

GIVE BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IN ABUNDANCE

When you are an abundant thinker, you see that material things as just that — material. They are tangible items and don’t really hold power over us unless we let them.

GIVE SIMPLY KNOWING YOU WANT TO MAKE OTHER PERSON HAPPY

When we give simply because we want others to be happy we are filled with love and need nothing more in return.

GIVE TO PEOPLE WHO DON’T DESERVE IT

When you give, tell your mind and heart that you are full and don’t hold any ill will or bad feelings towards that person.

KNOW THAT YOUR GIFT WILL BE RETURNED IN SOME WAY

The way the world works is that once you give something away, you automatically create space to be able to receive from someone or somewhere else.

mangaii and Aarushi like this.