Please avoid hing or asafoetida during pregnancy-its risk to use

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by chitrajaraika, Jan 17, 2011.

1. life_voyage

life_voyage Senior IL'ite

thanks Priyanka! stopping it from today.

tanuja

2. shachu

shachu Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the info chitra. But both hing and asafoetida means perungayam in tamil rite?

3. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

yes shachu its perungaayam only.

girls avoid mustard too or use it little it too have heating effect.:thumbsup

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Is there any scientific or medical evidence for it?
    If it is only based on what folks are talking about, or some magazine or TV show/internet, I strongly suggest consult a qualified doctor. If the doctor says its ok, then don't fear this.

Always better to consult a professional doctor for these questions, rather than get worried by what you read or see somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

i was hesistant to accept this too, esp with sambhar etc being such a staple south indian dish.. but i have found enough scientific reasearch online to substantiate it..

But i still have it.. in small quantities. My understanding is, this is similar to having msg , pineapple/papaya etc in huge quantities which could cause a risk(not 100%)..
    i had hing in really moderate quantities in my first pregancy and since i never knew the risk, i guess it didnt affect :) ..

6. kirukiri

kirukiri Bronze IL'ite

This information is about "raw" hing. And except for medicinal purposes, no one eats hing raw.

That too no one takes it raw daily or in large quantities to cause any side effect.

Ladies, please read the information carefully before reaching any conclusions.

there is no harm in adding to to the daily curries/sambar.

1 person likes this.
  7. garnetserpent

garnetserpent New IL'ite

I am not sure where this Priyanka is from, but I am sure that she never looked into real life examples. If asafoetida should be avoided during pregnancy, none of the ladies in South India (I am from Kerala State, India) should have kids. But the reality is, they DO. We use asafoetida aka hing to prepare many curries which accompany daily meals. One of the example is a curry called 'Sambar'. It is a very common curry we take atleast 3 days a week and all women who are pregnant takes it.

When suggesting something that is not proven in real life, I suggest the people who are advising to please look into all the evidences that you can find.

This year, US baby birthrate went down to 4% (record low), may be it is due to their food habits which does not include any herbs that Indians are using in their daily diet.

Sorry for any grammatic and typos if you can find any in my above reply.

8. medhasrik

medhasrik New IL'ite

Thanks for this information. I was not aware of this . I add small bits of hing in some of the vegetables that I prepare. I think I should avoid it from now.

Thanks again.

9. padmapriya1

padmapriya1 Gold IL'ite

thank you so much for sharing the information.
    Atleast from now i would be away from it.. :(

10. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Ha... I was not aware of this.... Good I landed into this thread. I normally use hing in almost many dishes... I am certainly not going to use it throughout my pregnancy .. Thanks Chitra