Please advise..what to feed my Labrador Pup!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by sanri, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Vinings

Vinings Gold IL'ite

I am sorry but you are feeding wrong things to him.

2. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Hello Vinings,

Thanks for your reply! Can you please explain what's wrong with the diet and what should be fed to him?

Thanks! :)

3. Vinings

Vinings Gold IL'ite

He is less than 2 months old , you cannot feed him , rice, curd, chapati, etc. For fleas you can bathe him with acv and also spray some acv on him but don't give him 50/50 acv/water as he is still a baby. His tummy might not tolerate. Dogs need animal protein. That is how they are built. What you are giving him will not provide any nutrients to him. You can buy good commercially prepared food made for puppies and when he is a year old you can cook food of him. Please stop feeding what you are feeding now.

4. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Hello Vinings,

1. Curd + boiled rice was suggested by vet as he said it's good for his tummy.
    2. I am spraying ACV diluted with water in 50:50 ratio on his body not giving internally in that ratio. I just put 2-3 drops of ACV in his drinking water twice a week. Apparently he loves its taste as he drinks more water when ACV drops are put in his drinking water. Can't bathe him as it's chilly weather here.
    3. Well, I've seen very healthy dogs who have been on healthy and fresh veg food. I understand your point though.

Thanks for your suggetions :)

5. Vinings

Vinings Gold IL'ite

Please read below

How Can Yogurt be Harmful?

Some pet owners feed their dogs minimal amounts of yogurt as treats or dietary supplements. However, not all dogs can tolerate even the smallest dose of yogurt. Your dog might enjoy chomping down a yogurt treat or lapping up some extra droppings, but meanwhile, he is overdosing on sugar and bacteria that will disrupt his digestive system and cause discomfort.

Some signs of lactose overdose and intolerance include constipation, itchy and irritated skin and dehydration. Since a bacteria buildup will disrupt the digestive system and cause dehydration, your dog could experience extreme thirst. If your dog is on a regular dairy-rich diet and has problems with diarrhea or constipation, he probably has lactose intolerance. Spaniels and young puppies are particularly susceptible to side effects from lactose intolerance. You can help relieve those symptoms by removing yogurt and other dairy products from his diet.

Many kinds of yogurt contain cooked bacteria cultures, rather than live cultures. These cooked cultures can cause even more harm to your dog than the lactose. It can kill the bad and good bacteria needed for digestion, resulting in yeast infections, more digestive problems and the possibility of recurrent infection.

While yogurt might be a delicious treat for some dogs, it is the source of digestive discomfort for many others. Some pet owners stay away from yogurt altogether because they are uncertain of yogurt's impact on their dog. Flavored yogurt contains far too much sugar for your dog's digestive system to handle.

6. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

7. Vinings

Vinings Gold IL'ite

You are missing the point and yogurt and curd the base ingredient is the same. Curd is in fact worse and has higher fat content and can lead to pancreatitis. I am sorry but you are feeding wrong things to the poor puppy with absolutely no nutrition at all. I pity the puppy.

8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I have a golden- lab mix and he is three years old. In US everyone feed their dogs dog food but I was against that. I wanted real food for my boy. I make his food for 3 days in a big pot and feed him twice a day a good human size portion.

I make his food with brown rice, mixed veggies- carrot, peas, brocolli etc and meat (either chicken or chicken liver, minced beef or minced turkey). He was a very skinny boy when I got him at 3 months and now he is perfect weight for his breed and very active and playful. His vet knows what he fed is very happy with his overall health.

Hope that helps.

9. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Curd was recommended by the vet when he had upset tummy. You are saying the puppy is being fed with the wrong food but did not give any suggestion regarding what home made food to feed him. I am giving him commercially available food once a day but I am against commercially available dog food filled up with bad things like preservatives and who knows what not.

No need to pity my pup as I said I've seen very healthy dogs fed on home cooked veg food. Thanks for your concern though.

10. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Thanks a ton! I am also absolutely against commercially available food. I don't want preservatives laced food to be fed to him when I can afford feeding him fresh food. I am feeding him 4 times a day as he's a small pup. Will gradually reduce it to thrice a day when he's around 6 months old.

I tried a lot to get brown rice but am unable to get it for him as well as myself here in India. I am giving him white portions of boiled eggs. I am giving him commercial dog food once a day so that his diet has chicken in it. I want to get rid of commercial food. My family is a vegetarian family but I'll see what I can do about freshly cooked chicken for him.

Brocolli: Is available here but difficult to find.
    Beef: Beef is banned in India as cows are worshipped here.
    Turkey: Not available.

Thanks a lot! I need to know a lot about home made food for him. :)