1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Advise Me What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by priyasri15, Apr 28, 2018.

1. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@paru123 a lot of you mention about divorce here. until this day he never said that we should divorce. he only says that finish studies, get a job and lets start life then and until then be focused on your work. he doesnt fight with me on the phone. he just sits not bothered about me, doing his work there. this bothers me. he is not asking or wishing for divorce at all. never he said that even in fights. but he also seems to be not interested in me and spend time with me. as i sense he wants this marriage, i am here figuring out how to fix his ex issues alone here. i dont even see mil and fil a problem here bcz husband has the power to make their mouth shut. if husband tells his mom shut up, she does and stops bothering me. he does protect me from her, i very much agree on that. but at the same time he is not ready to invest emotionally into this marriage. this bothers me.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Being a lady and tat too mother how can she say don’t worry about the gals he is in touch with instead of warning her son . Would she be fine if her husband did the same to her ?? :smash2:.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@shravs3 my mil would have burned her husband alive if he did that. but cant complain about mil as she acts as that typical mom who goes to son's defence... i have also seen similar stuff with my friends case. she complained to her mil about her husbands closeness with his female team lead at work but her mil told the same thing to her that she should not question what her husband is up to. in fact her mil is in so much better terms with her dil. even then until this day if my friend casually points any mistake about her son, mil's horns get raised....

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@priyasri15 - Priya, Priya, Priya - Look at what you have.
    You are an exemplary student who studied in India, managed to get good enough credentials to get into an IVY. You have parents who have taken a loan to fund that IVY education.
    Your parents are okay with you divorcing this guy if things don’t work out.
    Your future career prospects are looking great. December is only 8 months away. Eight months. Those eight months will go away in the blink of an eye. You will have an ivy education and hopefully a job by this time next year.
    And you have a husband who seems to think this marriage hinges on your weight, your ability to earn money and your future ability to bring in the moolah exactly like this EX whom he hates, btw, because she cheated. But she’s a friend. It isn’t easy to stop loving a partner even if they hurt you the worst possible way. He is still in love with that woman. He may fall out of love but do you want to take chances with your life based on the fact that he may love you with the same intensity someday?
    You probably feel intense love for him and are able to overlook the waving red flag. Now it’s time to think with your head and not with the love. Your love can take you only so far girl. It can also make your life miserable.
    If it was my child, I would tel her to let this love go. I would rather she remain single than he constantly worried about not maintaining the bar anymore and losing this husband. When I got married, I weighed a 110lbs at a size 0. Within two months, I was earning more than the DH based on my job in India. After a few years, I became a size 8-10 (70 kgs) and started staying home with a baby. Circumstances changed. DH always said I’m more in love now because of our bond. Will your situation be the same? Will he change? He might or he might again wait for you to go back to size 0 and earn before he feels attracted to you again. Do you want to be with such a guy? These are all attributes people look at in the initial stages while looking at alliances. He made a mistake and didn’t feel the pull but still got married for whatever lame reason. You are not at fault here.
    It’s NOT YOUR WEIGHT, NOT YOUR STUDENT STATUS, NOT YOUR LACK OF DOWRY. It’s not you but him and his low class family. Who talks about money and weighs people’s class by it? Only low class people do. He is the low class person talking about your income. Not your family.

Wait until next year, dump him, enjoy your freedom and do yourself a favor. Until then, make that education for which your dad is taking so much trouble as your #1 priority. Let your DH think you will work on the marriage after you get a job. Don’t discuss seperation plans until then.

You have many things in your favor. Don’t despair. You will be fine.

5. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@Laks09 thank you very very much... i understand what you say.. sometimes when you ladies repeat what i have been blessed with, it gives me some strength.. i know how big my parents have stepped up for me. infact i have a sister next to me and there are commitments for her too. despite that my dad did his duties to give me the education i asked for. we are middle class people. mom is a teacher in the school where my sis and i studied. my parents always made sure their daughters are educated and have the courage to stand up on their feet. i have no complaints about my family until this day. but until this day they never talk about divorce at all- they just believe that things will change in time as my hubby always speaks to them well if they call him. so somehow they feel he is a nice person and they never had any arguments with him so far. hubby too never did any complaints about me to them.
    the only two issues i see are his ex and his mom. not even fil. fil tells me finish studies everything will be alright. but his mom doesnt say even that. she only tells me that she knows many people who are in line to marry her son for his status and looks. hubby doesnt give any attention to her words about divorce. but he just stays numb towards me and this marriage. if i talk he talks, otherwise he wont.
    i understand all these will come to an end soon when i get employed. but my head constantly wonders about how to be ignorant to hubby's talks with ex. i simpy cant keep myself at bay as im sunk in insecurities which is also affecting my studies. Day and night i track his whatsapp last seen, skype logins and i even forgot to wish my sister on her birthday last week.
    How do i pull myself back from being like this? please help me. I'm so broken over hubby's rship over ex.

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It's not surprising . It's what abusers do. They try to spoil the self esteem and self worth of their victim , so that victim will be confused and their self confidence will be affected. It make them trapped for ever. That is exactly your husband want . He is looking for a finance provider, cook and maid, but not a wife or soul mate in you. He cheated you. Do you think you would have married if you know that you are going to be his second partner. I doubt. His ex is trying to spoil his life.

Don't waste even a second thinking about something that don't exist, a husband . The faster you escape , the better.

Only you can decide . Every one in society or family may tell you to continue or adjust for the sake of it. But you are only one who is going to suffer. You will be the one crying with pain. So be brave. Focus on your studies and your life

Read all replies here again and again including yours . I hope it will give you more clarity of thought. You are a smart girl. Please use brain not heart in this case. Stop checking what your dh and ex is doing behind your back. It will give you more stress. If he wants to cheat you he will do even if you are checking or not. He still loves his ex not you. He is not sincere to you. There is no love or respect. That's why he is not blocking his ex in phone or Skype. Please accept the reality . It has nothing to do with you. It's not your fault . He will never love you the way he loved his ex. I don't think he will get sexual satisfaction also from any other women including You. Its the magic of love. You have to take a stand, if you continue ,he has to completely cut off his ex, which I doubt, from this life forever. If he is not, then decide what to do.

Cut all these nuisense now out of your life and head. Come out in flying colors with successful completion of MS Program. Get a job. Then think about what you want to do with this marriage. Your study should be your first priority now. Dont talk about your marriage or decision with your dh till you became independent in all aspects.

It's your life . You know it better than others. You only can decide what you want. It's your call . Best wishes with your studies and wish you all the best.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    bron, NeetaR and yellowmango like this.
  7. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

From your posts, it looks like you suffer from low self esteem. You mention your middle class status very often even when not needed. Not all are born with silver spoon. Many of us are what we are today only due to education and hardwork.

So firstly, try to be proud of what you have; loving parents, your attributes which made FIL to pick you, and your own ability in studies to excel in UG and attain a seat to do post graduation in Ivy League school.

Now secondly, evaluate the current bad things in your life. A MIL who weighs person’s virtues by dowry, A husband who is afraid to sever his relationship with ex inspite of her conniving and cheating behavior, and ex,an absolute low life who has the shamelessness to still barge in to your husband’s married life and comment on his current wife(you).

I won’t suggest you an immediate divorce. But you need to sit and write good things in your first bucket. These won’t change, in fact will get even better. You will find a job after you complete your masters, you will have opportunities to repay back your parents (not just monetarily but also with your love and caring which they will value more than money in their old age), and the new perspectives an employment brings when working with different background people.

Write down your negatives too and assign ranking on whether they will change once you start working. Some might and some might not. But your importance to those will change when you start gaining new perspective.

You are still studying. April month is busy for university students, so you obsessing over how your husband and ex are spending their free time will affect your grade and most importantly your future career. Delete them from your WhatsApp, Skype. You live in US. Free unlimited calls/message users in US rarely use WhatsApp/Skype, so start communicating to your husband who lives in different state using that. If something happened recently and you are unable to get over that to make you open this thread, write what happened in different index cards. Arrange them in different order. When you repeat and in different order, the issues start becoming trivial.

Good luck for your studies for next 8 months and to get good grades and a wonderful job. Marital relationship most probably might turn around too when you start working but you need to start getting more confidence in your own abilities.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  8. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

You got into IVY and thinking about that lady n husband who never considered you as wife.
    What happened to you?
    Focus only on studying, your parents are doing so much. Dec is just months away. Till then I will suggest not meet mil or husband just for sake.
    If he really needs a wife he will come to you.
    I think he wants to satisfy his ego, when his ex left with you on the job n looks.
    Forget them, only on improving grades and getting a much better job than him.
    He doesn't deserve a good hearted person like you.
    No open fight, crying or any drama. You act super confident, even when you feel miserable. Hero is a person, who is 5 min more confident in a situation. Be that....

9. RichAmlan

RichAmlan New IL'ite

I dont understand why are you trying to win a person who clearly disrespects you.you are a bright student and your parents are also very supportive.why do you need your loser husband.if your husband not in fully love with you but respect you as wife,then i would fully support and encourage you to win your husband,but in your case he doesnot seem to have respect for you.so its better to now concentrate in your career and then proceed to take divorce.

10. Stardust1990

Stardust1990 Senior IL'ite

Dear Op,
    It looks like you have a bright future ahead of you. Your husband has definitely screwed up both of your lives and the wounds make take years to heal. Your husband lacks a strong character. He is attracted to a women who treats him like dirt and he knows it yet he is so attracted towards the constant humiliation. This is like woman getting attracted to bad boys. There is something about this wicked ppl that some vulnerable ppl find addicting. Your husband takes you for granted and every time you try to warm up to him he hurts you with caustic words. Your husband is showing his frustrations towards you and attributing his lack of attraction towards your looks and lack of job. I don't think both of these are actual reasons. So guy is comfortable being associated with a women who has a questionable reputation but not a ivy league going family girl. I think the fault is with his brain. Forget about divorce its too drastic for now. Your husband is in some mind mace he needs to find his way out himself. Stop all attempts to woo him and concentrate on your studies. Be cordial be nice and divert all attention towards making new friends and talking more to close one. Closet this issue the best you can for now.I have a feeling he is going to get burnt real bad by this girl and come to his senses. Sl