1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Advise Me What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by priyasri15, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't do anything without sufficient thought and without properly thinking over your short term and long term goals.

Do not talk to him right away about STD testing, that you read his chats, etc etc. Let this thread run its course for a bit. Read all the posts, including yours.

Work on getting a grip on your feelings and reactions. You have some solid points in your favor - parents who are supportive and studying in a good college after getting good scores.

Give things deep thought beyond feeling immediate hurt, anger and frustration. Give thought to the many questions asked in this thread.

One more question - why or how did this woman's life and life choices become so much a part of what you and husband discuss? Why are you arguing about it is her fault, she chooses men wrongly, she ruined chances of getting married to your husband, why is she complaining... You ask "how do I stop these two talking to each other?" The first step is you give her less space in your mind and less time in your conversations with your husband.

And, stop blaming her. Not that she is blameless, but your focus should be on your husband, his choices, actions.

Your father is right. Complete your education, get a job.

While doing that, improve yourself in any ways you can, for yourself. Then, decide if the marriage is worth it.

Living away you cannot stop husband from chatting with her. If those chats are a line, you can only draw a bigger line. No, that does not mean you chat more. Means, make your chats and meetings something he looks forward to. This will be difficult but if you want him to stop or reduce chatting with her ...

Imagine yourself in a position where you are working, confident, he wants to continue the marriage, and you are deciding if it is worth it. Work towards having choices.

You don't seem ready to dump him just yet.

bron, NeetaR, shravs3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Are you seeing yourself as a heroine of yester years to fall at his feet even when he doesn't think twice before trampling your feelings?What makes you think that just because you argue endlessly, he is going to get over his ex and accept you? All along he is aware of her every damn thing, he knows things which you may not even imagine. Moreover he isn't a small kid that you give evidence and he will accept. Ask moms here how smart the kids are and even they accept ONLY when they want to accept. So dear, FOCUS only on yourself and your education. Once you have your own identity, deal with your marriage in whatever way you deem fit. Nothing that you do now changes anything for now. Maybe because of your bad karma, you are in this mess. But given the fact that you are a bright young woman, realise your potential and deal with issues as and when you face them later.

For the moment be fully engrossed in the 'Priyasri' world, discover your talents and potentials and IGNORE HIM TOTALLY, let him woo you. All the best.

bron, nakshatra1, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I feel the best thing to do now is concentrate only on your studies and getting a job .

I wonder why is your MIL against you even when your dad is paying tuition fees and other things . I Think you need to remind her tat this investment is far better than giving them dowry ,in few years you can also earn better. If she is so classy why does she need car as a dowry gift? Definitely she would have one and wats the point of gifting car knowing tat you and your husband will not live in India !

Wats your FILs role here? Is he not accompanying your MIL to US? Is he not trying to stop the argument between both as he was the one to give green signal for this marriage inspite of knowing his son and money minded wife.

You can standby yourself if things won’t go according to your favour . Imagine if your father had given dowry and your husband is still not showing love and affection on you . Who is at loss ?? Good thing is you invested on yourself .
    For time being forget all those and worry only about your health and studies.

And regarding your husbands ex I don’t think you should inform tat to her fiancé wat if the marriage breaks and she is behind your husband and make both of your lives miserable.

In sometime once you get job you will get clarity ! Your husband might change his view on you and things might get better . If he still doesn’t then you know wat to do .

And yes concentrate on your weight loss too not for him but for yourself !

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Sandycandy and priyasri15 like this.
  4. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@Rihana thank you for your reply. i spent alone only two months with husband and everyday i used to find her messaging him or calling him. she was unstoppable and husband used to tell me that she feels miserable bcz she is lonely and all that. for that, i used to argue that she is the cause for her situation now and why is that our marriage is being troubled by that. she couldnt handle that husband went ahead and married me when she pleaded to him. but she realised that husband is not so happy with the marriage bcz of my weight issues. husband is very fit and goes to gym regularly, and that girl too. so i found often in her msgs that how is he ok to marry someone who doesnt look fit when fitness was always his priority when they were in a rship. such things circulated in their conversations. i have also read that i know she is not fit but im trying my best to make her look good and planning to get a trainer for her and all that.
    only after reading about the trainer in the msgs, i felt why is he discussing all this with her and so when he told me he found a personal trainer to train me at the gym i said no. that heated our arguments. so almost the two months i lived with him everyday the conversation was only about her that also sat on top of my head. i couldnt remove the thought that these two are talking still and he also discusses about my weight issues with her. when i got the offer to study away, i was reluctant and afraid as if i go away from his place then he might end up meeting her often. but luckily mil arrived in US before i left and she decided to stay for 6 months and cook for him as i will be going. but mil arrived two months prior to my departure and after she came she made things more miserable. so it was a constant mental battle fighting for husbands love against mil and his ex

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You are worried about violating his trust ? A man who not only has the audacity to keep communicating with his ex but also explicitly stating that you are not worthy of him .

bron, sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  6. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

thank you for replying. my parents, friends and all of you are telling me to be focused on myself and i have been trying my level best to do it. but there are times i am emotionally too low thinking of this loveless marriage. i always wonder why is that my husband is still attracted to his ex and doesnt show even 50% of that interest towards me. even if he does something, it is only to fulfill his wishes like arranging for a trainer for me. he sometimes think twice before spending anything for me. but he is ready to spend on me if it will also satisfy his wishes. this hurts me. i spent enough time arguing, fighting and crying over him talking to his ex. after a point he started telling me that he doesnt talk to her. he doesnt know i know his phone pw and i check his phone after he sleeps. he did not block her or anything. only change is he didnt initiate conversations with her. it was always from her as did you reach work, and then she will start sending her selfies saying see what i wore to work today, then she will send pics of all the recent stuff she bought and he would reply nice its looking good. i did not find him anything inappropriate but her constant run behind him knowing he is not happy in the marriage sits on top of my head. this is making me insecure and everyday i spend all my time in watching my hubby's last seen status and her last seen status on whatsapp and if i see them come and go online at the sametime i get annoyed and cry here. i dont know why i am doing this but i'm constantly watching them and going restless.

7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

This sounds a lot like @apuviki 's thread - isnt it ?

Please Advise Me On What's Bothering My Husband.

Even if it is the same OP, no issues. Its good to see some progress in the story. I often wondered what happened to the OP. Time for some action - ditch that husband of yours and please put an end to this horrible, toxic, no-good relationship (between you & your DH i mean).

I wish someone would shake you real hard and make you see sense. I think you must be the romantic type .. the quintessential Indian movie heroine who saves her husband and "earns his love" by the end of a 3 hr movie.

Have you never seen what a good relationship looks like ? Have you no understanding of what a good husband and marriage looks like ? Are you a masochist ?
    What an utter waste of education !

Sorry I am being this harsh on you. I am hardly ever like this but it is hard to see someone continue on a self-righteous destructive life path.

Let me tell you where this story will lead

Option 1 : you stay married unhappily ever after. Even if you both somehow miraculously have a child, the relationship dynamic is unlikely to change. Him - the reluctant husband. You - over eager self sacrificing wife.

Option 2 : After another depressing 2 years, roughly at the 4 yr mark you will realize this marriage has no future. You will be fed up & divorce. Then you will begin searching anew after a few years while you cry bitter tears over being so stupid in giving away your most fertile years to an asshole. At that time you may recall our frantic, repeated chants of quitting the marriage early.

I wish there was a happier THIRD option but i I dont see that happening. Goodluck !!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    bron, SunPa, nakshatra1 and 3 others like this.
  8. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@Sandycandy i understand your point. I'm trying my level best to make sure i don't break his trust in anyway. on the new year eve i asked him if he likes me after knowing me for a year now. he replied he likes me so much for the kind of person I'm but still he feels we are in loveless marriage. He also said he has no complaints or issues about me other than that the external compatibility issues that is bothering him so much. I heard that reply and couldnt speak anything beyond that. But deeply i was hurt with his reply, also content that he doesnt have a bad impression about me in his heart.

9. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Op, do your in laws know that your dh still keeps contact with his ex. Have you any time had fights in front of mil discussing the topic of ex. How hard it must be for you to hear all the stories and facts so nicely explained by your husband. I wonder how you react to him.

Don't let him know that you read his chats. Concentrate in your studies and try to get a good job. I don't think your husband will go back to her however hard the ex tries. He has been used by her but he doesn't have the guts to shut her off. And the ex knows this very well and she uses him emotionally even now through chats. She has been used by many and will be used in future also, and she knows your husband will be readily available to her until he takes a firm decision to block her from his mind and chats.

Your husband has some positives too. He might change his perceptive about you once you get a good job. If not, then you can think of divorcing him.

His mom is behaving really weird. Was she not aware of the family status before the marriage.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. priyasri15

priyasri15 Senior IL'ite

@madras2018 i came across the post you mentioned and already felt that there are a lot of similarities. i also read about regina's post on her husband not inviting her to ireland. again another similarity. to clarify, i am not the OP of the post you mentioned here.
    Altogether i realised one thing thats something so common with many women married to NRI's. Husband is so reluctant to start life with the woman abroad unless she earns; and that money concerns are central to starting married life. in my case, i was not keen on marrying an NRI, but i was keen on studying my masters abroad at a reputed uni. my parents felt its better for me to be married and study rather delaying the process. so this marriage happened. similar to regina's case, my hubby was also reluctant to immediately take me to US and i was in India until i processed my F1 student visa and then joined him. after i went there, i realised why he did not invite me immediately after marriage and always said that its better i come into US on my own student visa rather being his dependent.