1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Advise Me On What's Bothering My Husband.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by apuviki, Sep 6, 2016.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Apuviki,

I understand your thoughts as to why you do not want to go ahead with a divorce.. I don't know your age, but just want to say that don't put off the inevitable for longer for fear of your MIL or society and lose valuable years when you are younger and can find a better life partner..I can understand when you say that you don't want to have any regrets, but make sure you dont regret not getting out of this sooner.

On a side note, why did someone start chemo on your mother before confirming the cancer via biopsy or surgery? That doesnt seem right..did they get a second opinion.. hope your mom recovers soon and gives you the support that you so need at this time.

blindpup10 likes this.
  2. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

@GoneGirl Thanks for following up with the thread and writing back to me. I'm 29 now. From what you said, I highly realise now that I should also not regret later about not getting off this mess a lot earlier. I'm not going to wait for more than a year to decide as I'm already emotionally drained out.
    A doc well known to our family diagnosed her with cancer after Biopsy. It took us almost 1.5-2 months to know about the second opinion and by that time we believed with what our family doc said and had to put her on chemo. He diagnosed it as a stage A borderline uterus cancer initially. It was a mess.

3. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Thanks for following up with the thread and writing back to me. I'm 29 now. From what you said, I highly realise now that I should also not regret later about not getting off this mess a lot earlier. I'm not going to wait for more than a year to decide as I'm already emotionally drained out.
    A doc well known to our family diagnosed her with cancer after Biopsy. It took us almost 1.5-2 months to know about the second opinion and by that time we believed with what our family doc said and had to put her on chemo. He diagnosed it as a stage A borderline uterus cancer initially. It was a mess.[/QUOTE]

Dear Apuviki
    Good that you want to get it done with it within a year. From your posts it seems that this is your first relationship. But even though it turned out to be a disaster, it had some positive moments too. Since this is your first relationship , you have not experienced what it is to be in a positive relationship. Come out of it dear and once you find a positive person , you will understand that "you loving your current husband" was just an illusion. You will realize that there has never been love there in the first place. So come out of it soon and may you get a very loving and caring partner soon.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Dear OP,
    "Even God cannot help those who cannot help themselves "
    Hugs to you. I wish you to take the help of a clinical psycologist/or therapist to understand your psychological dilemma.
    Your sentences preaching your love for your so called abusing husband reminds me of a psychological problem called Stockhome syndrome(Google it. read more: Stockholm Syndrome: The Psychological Mystery of Loving an Abuser, Page 1)
    What on earth are you doing by your PhD if you cannot realise what is happening with you.
    So wake up and act. Use your brain and not your blind emotions to decide where to head to.

You need to realise that you are a 'Victim' and get out of it.
    I think all ladies commented on your problem here and told you to leave your dh in true sense love you more than your cheater h.

You have two options 1) Waste your precious life (only 29y, long way to go) for an abuser and live the life of a doormat. Is that you want? is that your parents wished for their only child? Are you going to bring kids into this life and spoil their life.. No women of self respect will ever do that..if that is your decision, what is the use of your education ?[ your post indicate that right now you think that proving your MIL that you can have good life with dh is your aim, don't be so stupid)

2) To accept what has happened and get out of this relationship. Be brave. Being single is better than in an abusive relationship,that kills one slowly.
    If this is your decision, stop all contact with your dh (it will be tough, but you can do it. Please don't waste your precious time on dh) Take enough time. Develop a dont care attittude. You dont have any siblings. So your separation from dh is not going to affect anyones life.
    Completely focus on you and your PhD. Think about next options, like doing pdf or job. Spend some time every day to search and apply. Being mentally relaxed is very important for a creative and productive research life. Try to communicate and publish your papers and make your CV strong. Every morning tell yourself ( look at mirror) that you are beautiful, strong and will be successful in life and you are going to devote all your energy to find a successful career.. be independent. Meditate, if you are religious pray to God to give you more concentration and focus. I am sure you will be back to tracks. It is not easy, so take enough time.

Once you complete your PhD and get a job, never ever think about going back to the abuser dh, instead separate legally ( you will figure it out slowly, explore it by yourself ). You deserve a better life . I am sure you will find a person who will respect you for what you are... have some patience... you are still young... be a successful women don't a desperate woman.
    If you love your parents you have to show them that you are happy and successful in your lif. I think that only make them happy.

Ask you this question.. Do you want to succeed or fail in life? you are smart and capable,that is why you are doing PhD in UK, not many has that luck or opportunity. So think about using this chance in a better way.. You have so many miles to go....be positive.

Sorry OP, I cannot understand how can a highly educated women spoil her life by pursuing an unworthy man. I very well understand a womes love to her man in her life. I strong believe the obsession you have right now on dh is the side effect of the syndrome(see above) a victim face-it is simply a survival mechanism of the mind to withstand abuse, not LOVE. please think. Please seek professional help.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    blindpup10 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

Dear Apuviki
    Good that you want to get it done with it within a year. From your posts it seems that this is your first relationship. But even though it turned out to be a disaster, it had some positive moments too. Since this is your first relationship , you have not experienced what it is to be in a positive relationship. Come out of it dear and once you find a positive person , you will understand that "you loving your current husband" was just an illusion. You will realize that there has never been love there in the first place. So come out of it soon and may you get a very loving and caring partner soon.[/QUOTE]
    @fourthaugust yes, this is my first rship. I sincerely admit, I was able to connect to him emotionally right from the day I decided he is the person I will be marrying. Our days were full of love and kindness at least until the marriage happened and even when at times his mom stirred fight with me, he was there to back me up. It still makes me wonder, where is the person I fell in love with now. On the contrary, my H bluntly says he still can't connect to me emotionally and doesn't have any love feelings towards me only bcz of all that happened in those months while I stayed with him. He says, he is going to try on working on this marriage only bcz 'we are married' but not bcz 'there is something so special about me'. He always claims that he is such a kind of a person for whom love doesn't develop quickly and it takes at least a year for him to feel the spark. And he rationalises this bcz of this past. But most of you here told, I'm definitely not going to wait too long to see changes in him. I would have waited probably if his parents were nice and supportive of me. But my situation is no longer that kind and with that I saw in his mom, I know for sure she is going to be the devil in our lives. I give a year time now and I want to focus on myself and my career and be a better person now. When I see my H after a year, I am going to see if my H is honestly coming fwd or has cheap intentions to go ahead with the marriage. If love doesn't persist even after a year, I will be very satisfied about calling it quits.

6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Dear Op it is hard to walk a mile in another person's shoes. So forgive me for being harsh but I do so to give you some clarity on your situation.

It is not your fault that you married a man who was not yet over his previous relationship, who doesn't respect you, who doesnt understand "ardhangini, who is a taker and doesnt know what giving is all about, who is selfish, who is an abuser and who is a wimp. Yes a wimp. Yes all abusers are wimps, all men who are puppets in their mother's hands are wimps.

It is not your fault that your Mil is a monster.

But it is your fault that you are putting up with this after having suffered so much. What use is education if it doesnt equip you to deal with life? You have some financial security, your parents will support you emotionally if you need, you dont have children to feel the burden of parental responsibility, so what is stopping you?
    No miracle is going to change your husband, the only miralce is getting out fast.
    You are practically inflicting harm on yourself. You are on in this with your eyes open. Stop using excuses and get out as soon as you can. That will be better than any Phd. I cant imagine the wounds you will carry with you, each day is one more day of hurt to your soul.

Take care, Op

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

dear @SunPa and @DDream I completely understand what you both are trying to say. If my friend were going through a similar situation, I would have screamed down her throat to get out of this mess.

As most of you assume, I'm not a person who is only capable of sitting like an innocent puppy and allowing people to physically harm me. I tell you an incident. Lat year in the UK, my neighbour from India was an MBA student at my uni. He was next door living with his wife and his 10 month old baby. His wife was a BCom graduate and he married her for the amount of wealth she had on her name. Her parents paid for his MBA tuition fee, living expenses and also sent her and the kid along on a dependent visa. I have seen him many times belittling her bcz that she is only a Bcom graduate and he is doing an MBA. One night she came running into my apartment pleading for protection. He hit her very badly for some reasons and she had a cut on her lips, face and one part of her ear was partly torn. Her earring too went missing and her shoulder was drenched with blood. He chased her into my apartment and demanded me to let her go with him. Apparently, I knew him for a year as one of the MBA students in my department. Though he was very rude towards his wife, he always seemed good with me. I personally had no bad incidents with him. Even beyond knowing him for a year and being in good terms with him, I did not think for a second to call the cops and get him arrested. I even approached the University security patrol late in the night for help to take her to the hospital and seek protection for her. When my H was physically abusing me, I myself recalled that when I was able to call cops a year back to protect someone in a similar situation; why the heck I was unable to do the same thing on my own H.

Whether it is sheer love for him, or illusion I still can't think of doing such things on him. Though I had at least dialled 911 in front of him, I always had cut the call in a few seconds only bcz I didn't want to ruin his life and also my happiness. I was definitely fuming in anger after the incident bcz I did not wish for such a man in my life. And I can't think of having kids with such a man either. I want my kids to grow up in a very emotionally healthy environment and I won't give a chance to try on this r'ship by seeing if things will change if I have a kid. But through all that I always bring myself back to thinking that he has some psychological issues and if I manage to put him under some therapy, life will be set right. While once he agreed to go for counselling and anger management class, his mom abruptly stopped it by coming to the US and claimed there is nothing wrong with her son.

My only best bet is to set him free off me for a year so that let him also think if he really wants me. After my studies, I will try to get an employment ASAP and I think I should see whether he takes the long step to come in search of me. And his interests on me will eventually reflect on the way he pursues me, talks to me and handles me. Is this approach right? What do you think?

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It is not love, it is called low self esteem.

Let me tell you a story of my best friends. She is a known women rights activists, who has actively engaged in sending many abusive men behind the bars for years. An outspoken, well known girl with a high end career.
    Only last week I heard from her that she is separated from her H. All these while, she would be praising her H in social media and outside as if he was a gem. So, it was a shock to me. But she says, her H has always been abusive, and suspicious; thus he physically and mentally abuse her a lot. Recent times, he has started to restrict her from all the corners out of suspicions, and hit her several times before kids.
    He has informed all her important contacts (work place, social circle etc) that she is a prostitute with vulgar talks about her. Finally he left home.
    Now that, I am hearing from her that her house, car and all the properties are only on his name and he has taken the documents.
    They were her hard earned assets. He did not give anything to the marriage, not even shared monthly expenses.

I could not believe her narration at all. How come an educated, financially independent and activist kind of woman could lose everything to a man just like that?

But her psychologist say it is her low self esteem.

I sense the same with you too. You are educated, independent and you know what to do in case of abuse as this.
    But you decide to take the abuse and look for excuses to repeatedly cover your H's abuse to cheat your warning (educated) brain that it is love.

You know that you do not love your H and your H does not love you.
    You know that this marriage is going no where, and there is no such hopes
    You know that you deserve a better life than this.
    You even know that your parents will ask you to walk out, if they knew the details of the abuse you are facing right now. But you chose to sweep all these truths under the carpet to paint your issues as simple or manageable and call it love.

It is not love my dear. It is your low self esteem. Not sure whether you have this problem since birth, or only after marriage. It happens with women who face constant abuse as such.
    It is like you feel you are unworthy without your H, and incapable and incompetent without him. So, you would always want to tag along with him despite of his dislike towards you.
    Since you think so poorly about you, you like this arrangement called marriage. You are so scared to get out of this institution and feel unsafe, or insulted about walking out.
    Since you believe that you will be nothing after the separation, your mind will often find the negatives around it. Like how badly the society is gonna react, how poorly your parents will take it etc.. So, you confirm to yourself that it is the best decision to give it another shot.
    This way, you will go on an on...

Your brain will warn you. But you will hide everything under the carpet and make your brain believe that you love him.
    To validate this, your heart will look for any signals where he was good with you. Even a minor help a few months back will come to your memory only to cherish his love for you. You will fool yourself by believing that he was loving, but something has happened inbetween for all the problems.
    This way, you will become hopeful to bring back that loving person in him. In this process, you will not mind some abuses down the line.

As time goes, you will think that you can never re-marry. You will believe that you can never step out in the society and stay positive. So, you will slowly accept this life as it is.
    The constant abuse be it physical, mental or even any kind of EMA from him would seem normal to you. To keep you within control, your H too will give some dose of love here and there, so that you will be fueled to run some more miles with hope.
    The saga continuous.

I remember reading a thread recently about a mother, who became psychologically affected due to chronic abuse by her spouse. According to that poster, her mom was in acceptance of the abuses, and she wasn't ready or mentally prepared to leave the abuser. She was like, she can't have a life without him. So, she blamed others who tried to help her to get out of that dirt.
    It is because that woman has so much used to the abuse only to end up with very very low self esteem. It is the usual result of constant abuse.
    The abusers will eventually make you believe that you deserve the abuse, and the fault is yours. That's how your self worth will be affected due to it.

Me or any poster in this forum can't help you with such psychological problem, in case, you too are suffering like this. Better consult a counselor, they will direct you to relevant therapist.

9. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

dear @SGBV your post is indeed eye-opening to me. I'm a single child to my parents and have been well pampered emotionally by my own parents and extended family too. I'm also the first grand daughter on my mom's side and that way I have been well nurtured, cherished growing into my grand parents fold as well. So since childhood, I am never short of emotional support, neither have personally watched any man abusing his woman in my personal circle.

I left India in 2009 and have been always independent since then. I have travelled solo across Europe, managed my own life, finances and emotions well. I worked for an esteemed international organisation and went on to quit it to start my PhD when I was 26. While some of my relatives bombarded my parents to get me married while i was turning 26, my parents stood up for my ambition as I was not ready to get married until I finish PhD or at least close to it's completion. I'm saying this bcz I never wanted to succumb to societal pressure of getting married and my parents too are not in that mindset. They always gave me the space I wanted in my life. I'm not writing all this to take pride in what I have done in my life, but to honestly give you all a little bit of my background. So, to my knowledge, I never felt that i have low self-esteem issues so far but now, after reading your post, I highly feel, YES, and especially after this marriage.

You almost scanned my mind and wrote it here by saying these.
    " It is like you feel you are unworthy without your H, and incapable and incompetent without him. So, you would always want to tag along with him despite of his dislike towards you"
    I don't know whether I feel unworthy without him, but I honestly admit my fears of finding a new life partner and the guarantee of having peace in the next marriage. So, this makes me at times to wait wait and wait to see if he will revert to the old H I saw in him. And that is why, I tried a lot to make him go to a counsellor to help him erase his past. While he agreed to go, his mom arrived and stopped.

"Since you believe that you will be nothing after the separation, your mind will often find the negatives around it. Like how badly the society is gonna react, how poorly your parents will take it etc.. So, you confirm to yourself that it is the best decision to give it another shot.
    This way, you will go on an on... "

This is again partly true except that i fear for my parents or the society. I don't really bother what the society will think of me honestly bcz the society never lived through my pain. Again, my parents will also not watch me living in an unhealthy marriage. I'm 100% sure they will be wanting me to get out as much as most of you here do. And I also know that my dad is a person who will definitely make this a domestic violence case, even if i plead to him not to. My dad never withstands all this and I know he will make my H and mil go through hell.
    But I highly feel, the problem is with me now - but definitely not related to fear of society or parents. Yes, it's inside me in my head. I honestly feel the fear of living life alone after separation and when I get scared about it, my mind searches for hope to see if this could be still fixed. And I run my mind through all the positive moments that had happened (mostly they were the moments before engagement with him) and fuel myself with hope.

With this, you rightly said:
    "Your brain will warn you. But you will hide everything under the carpet and make your brain believe that you love him.
    To validate this, your heart will look for any signals where he was good with you. Even a minor help a few months back will come to your memory only to cherish his love for you. You will fool yourself by believing that he was loving, but something has happened inbetween for all the problems.
    This way, you will become hopeful to bring back that loving person in him. In this process, you will not mind some abuses down the line".

I always felt I deserve some love and respect from him. But with time, I even started yearning at least for some consideration towards me. This tells me, I should definitely have low self-esteem issues. I tell you an incident: when i was leaving the US this jan, my mil was besides me when I was packing. She wanted me to carry all of my stuff with me to India and she was running around the house to even pack away my pencils and pens. I could carry only 46kgs on the flight and I couldn't pack all of my stuff as she expected. I left behind most of my clothes and only packed all of my books and very few clothes. She tried her best to get me take all my stuff by paying extra on the flight. I had to pay 2300/- for each extra kg from the US and i didn't want to do that as it almost comes down to an extra ticket price. I told my H about this incident. As both of us decided we will stay in this marriage and work on together, he told me to ignore her and leave my stuff behind, and only take my essentials. So when H said this, I really felt being on cloud nine. It won't even equate to giving me crores of wealth. I cried hugging him at our apartment entrance, when this conversation happened. He slowly understood my emotions toward my stuff being in the US with him. His mom is going to be traveling to india next month and she had also tried to ask him to send my stuff through her for which he had denied (he said this to me. yes, such an open book).
    At times I hit myself very hard to think how deprived I'm off love and emotions from H. Coz, H agreeing to leaving my stuff behind meant VERY BIG to me. My H had recently moved into a new apartment (studio) this march. My mil had kept our wedding photo frame inside a suitcase so that H doesn't hangs it up. But when I got reminded of the photo frame and asked him, he said it's kept inside a suitcase and he will hang it up first thing after going home. And he did the same and sent me the pic. Shamelessly i felt happy for even hanging up our photo frame coz I felt some level of acceptance from my husband which he never never never had towards me once upon a time. This is why whenever he took me out in the weekends beyond his mom's disapproval, I was crying my heart out thanking him mostly. He once slapped me very badly bcz for the same reason when I asked him to take me out. So, over the months as I started seeing positives I think I have fueled me with courage that I won't give this up and I will work my best to fix this.
    Probably as you and someone too pointed, I sincerely believe it could be low self-esteem issues in me. But I am very surprised that it is probably in me after this abuse episode. I don't want to wait any longer to go and see a therapist now. Let me first take professional help than anything else and I want to see myself whether i still hold the same feelings for him after the therapy.
    Ladies, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give me all the support I need at this time. I know many of you might be angry at me that I'm not giving up on this marriage and still submitting to abuse. I still hold feelings of love (or illusions of love maybe) for my H; but I would sincerely meet a therapist to address psychological issues that I also sense. Do you have any recommendations for a good therapist in Chennai?

SGBV likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

" After my studies, I will try to get an employment ASAP and I think I should see whether he takes the long step to come in search of me. And his interests on me will eventually reflect on the way he pursues me, talks to me and handles me. Is this approach right? What do you think?"

Dear OP,
    I know how difficult it is to convince our mind and accept the reality that our dear one dont love the way we love them, especially when it is our first love/relationship. Now you are a student and dont have an 'income', this is the way your dh treats you. If his approach change when you have a job, then it is very clear that he try to come to you not because of love but for something else. Don't fall into that trap again. Dont spoil your precious life.There is no point in continuing with a worthless abuser/cheater. You need someone who love and respect you.

As me and other also mentioned ( please check the link in on the 'syndrome ' in my #115 post , where you will find the same sentence you used to express your love to your dh in this thread) when we are a victim in an abusive relationship we try to think we are right and try to find excuses to convince ourselves that our abuser is right in some way or he is doing it for some other reasons. Even the 'boldest strongest fearless' individual can behave or think this way when they are subjected to abuse. A victim always think he/she is right . That is a survival mechanism of the mind. That is why ladies here suggested you to seek professional help.

"I honestly feel the fear of living life alone after separation and when I get scared about it, my mind searches for hope to see if this could be still fixed". "Again, my parents will also not watch me living in an unhealthy marriage"
    No women of self respect that way about an abuser. But as you agreed your low-self esteem or thought that you love him ( it is not love as I said ) blinds you from the reality. Please wake up for your parents at least. You should inform your parents (at least your DAD) about what happened in your life before moving ahead.

I know a few of my friends/acquaintances who has undergone divorce within one year or lost their spouse due to illness within in few years etc.. they all are happily married and settled now. So don't worry about your future life or possibility of marriage. When you find the right one who respect you for what you are you will wonder why you tolerated all these abuse for long. So these became just past... So be very positive. Focus on your career and succeed in that. Stop contacting your dh.

You need to thank almighty for your blessings. You got loving parents, a nice opportunity to do PhD and a great career to look forward to.. Many helpless women dont have that. So pl try be very positive and move ahead with confidence..

"I even started yearning at least for some consideration towards me" "He once slapped me very badly bcz for the same"
    Clearly indicates how low your self esteem or how weak you are emotionally. No women of self respect think that way. Dont be an emotional slave to an abuser. Once you gain your confidence you will see your way very clearly ahead.

"I don't want to wait any longer to go and see a therapist now. Let me first take professional help than anything else and I want to see myself whether i still hold the same feelings for him after the therapy"
    Happy to hear that. Pl Do. All the best OP . Try to emotionally detach from your dh. So you will be prepared to face the outcome in a better way. Try to meditate/do yoga. These steps will give you peace of mind and give a clear direction on how to proceed. Focus your energy to your PhD and career and come out with flying colors. Take Care. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017