1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Planning to open a Indian restaurant in U.S. - Need ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vani, Apr 1, 2005.

1. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I am planning to open an Indian restaurant shortly here in the U.S.

Though I have been collecting a lots of ideas from professionals in the business, as well as from few friends, thought of getting some inputs from Indians in the U.S.

Appreciate inputs from the customer perspective - what would you expect in the Indian restaurant to be classified as best? (of course, good tasty food :) )

Thanks in advance,
    Vani

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Watch out the serving size!

Hi Vani,

One thing I would suggest is to watch out the serving size!

I have noticed most of the Indian restaurants here serve food similar to the limited sizes we get in India - like 2 small idlis with chutney, 2 vadas, 2 pooris with potato masala etc.

Known the fact that in this country people go for huge quantities, it is better to serve huge quantities/sizes. That will give a feeling they get more for what they pay :)

3. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

Waiting time

Vani,

You may want to watch ou the waiting time for the food ordered :wink:

Since most of the Indian dishes involves a lot of frying and sauting, might take more time to get it to the table. It will be good to be upfront with the customer on the time it will take, especially when they are with kids.

4. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

Hey Vani,
    Madhu_cute and Rati have point two important points. Let me add one more, customer service is equally important. Being courteous plays a major role in restaurant management where I don't see in many places here in Indian rest. in US.

1 person likes this.
  5. pj.nainwal

pj.nainwal New IL'ite

Indian curry chef

Dear / Sir / Madam I am pitamber Nainwal Indian chef can consultant your restaurant I am Indian chef if you would like to more details about me pl.contact me through private message

I am planning to open an Indian restaurant shortly here in the U.S.

Though I have been collecting a lots of ideas from professionals in the business, as well as from few friends, thought of getting some inputs from Indians in the U.S.

Appreciate inputs from the customer perspective - what would you expect in the Indian restaurant to be classified as best? (of course, good tasty food :) )

Thanks in advance,
    Vani[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Recent (horrible)experience.

A couple of days back, happened to visit an Indian restaurant(non professional) in Rt.27 and it was horrible. Right from food upto everything, we could be able to see the lack of discipline. Simple basic techniques are there while serving food which everyone knows and you dont have to learn anything. For ex., while taking the plate back after finishing, the spoon & fork were rolling down from the plate(put them in a gentle way), is that how one will do ??

Food quality-terrible..I suggest that for particular items, it is better to follow common ingredients without adding too many spices for south indian food particularly. They have added some extra spices to cutlet and mysore masala dosa chutney and we regret even now of visiting. Similarly, for paneer dosa, they did not even know to grate when the dosa was on the tava, poor people and the poor customers!!!!!

Ultimately, ordered briyani and they have served for 3 people(just for me) and side dish as raita & aloo kurma(no aloo) which can be eaten by one grown up kid, can u believe?? Offlate, in NJ, have noticed that taking thali or buffet will only serve a good size of food for a family; if we order separately, hmmm... will never get sufficient, but they will definitely give a sizeable amt of bill!!!

Rgds.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  7. Saniya

Saniya Junior IL'ite

Indian Restaurant

Hi Ami,

Are you talking about Andhra Bhawan which is located on Rt27 behind Patel cash & carry?

have you ever tried Rupee Room (Indian restaurant),which is located on Rt1.
    Decoration is amazing, even restroom is also great,I have never seen before like that ,specially in Indian resturant. But the food quantity is really bad and the cost is high.

I think you should try once just for look inside.

saniya

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

it is different.

Saniya, the restaurant name is Aparuchi II and it is near Beekman road signal.

The restaurant you are talking abt, have not seen. Anyways, as u suggested, will step in, see the decoration and come back without taking food!!! Sounds a better idea?? Thanks for letting me know in advance.

Rgds.

9. Saniya

Saniya Junior IL'ite

Indian resturant

Great idea !

But, please don't forget to step in the Restroom.

Cheers
    Saniya

1 person likes this.
  10. GreenChillies

GreenChillies New IL'ite

Re: Indian resturant

Hi Vani and Pitamber,
    If any one of u opened a restaurant, can u people please share some details as how to proceed with the set -up. I really would appreciate ur help. Please respond. I am interested in starting a restaurant in US aswell, not sure where to start from.

Thanks