1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Planning to bring family

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by poonamgav, Apr 16, 2010.

1. poonamgav

poonamgav New IL'ite

Hi,

We are planning to invite both Mother and Father of me and my hubby (4 people) in US may be for 2-3 months . We live in Ohio state. My hubby is on L1 and I am on L2 visa. I need to know what things i need to take care before they comes. I have some queries,

1) Which visa they will require?
    2) Which medical insurance policy i have to opt?
    3) We have a two bedroom apartment. Is there any law that we all can't stay in that apartment(4 + 2 +1(my 2.5 yrs old daughter))?
    4) Will it be feasible to call all 4 at the same time or 2 now and 2 later?
    5) What things we need to take care before they comes and how to plan in advance.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks,
    Poonam.

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Hope i can help you to some extend with my experience.

Even we got our both side parents at same time 2 yrs back for my delivery...as we wished it would be nice to have grandparent's blessing for my daughter at the time of birth.

We were in same situation Hubby L1 and Myself L2(home maker), as it willbe one salary, better plan it well inadvance set your mind about the monthly expenses. So that you will not feel bad after their arrival.

Regarding insurance you willneed to get visitor's insurance,i took on the day of their arriaval. But in my case, myfather-inlaw was for 1month and mil just 4months, parents were here for 6 months. Based on their stay i got the insurance. It cost around 350$/6months.

Their visa willbe Visitor's visa. Advantages willbe like they can go together to all places if they have good rapport. If you feel not so good gel between them then better plan it at different time, as let their stay be memorable than stressful.

Regarding apartment stay no idea, as i was in Independent house with 1 bedroom(very small), my parents stayed with us, my inlaws stayed in Brother-inlaw'ss(hubby's brother)which is just 3streets after ours. When parents go to myown sister's house(Virginia), i get my inlaws , make them to stay with us...

Otherwise, we clubed together for all places, we booked for Niagara package, they enjoyed together.They went to mysister's place in greyhound.

Finally during their departure, i got all the snaps printed, gifted two seperate albums for each side...with grandchild..etc., it was happy for them.

All the best.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

1) Which visa they will require?Visitor Visa
    2) Which medical insurance policy i have to opt?You can opt for insurance here or from India.
    3) We have a two bedroom apartment. Is there any law that we all can't stay in that apartment(4 + 2 +1(my 2.5 yrs old daughter))?
    I think it will be too many people at a time. You wont be able to spend quality time with each set of parents. You can invite your in laws or parents at a time. That way you wont be struggling with space management for everybody.They also can relax and enjoy the trips.
    4) Will it be feasible to call all 4 at the same time or 2 now and 2 later? 2 at a time is good JMO
    5) What things we need to take care before they comes and how to plan in advance.

Take some Indian TV channels for television. Also make travel plans with them and introduce them to your friends circle according to your level of comfort.Good Luck.

4. poonamgav

poonamgav New IL'ite

Thanks both of you for sharing your experience and information.

Usha,

Which insurance did you buy? Also, It was from US or India? Which airline is comfortable and cheap. Any ideas about cost saving?

Thanks,
    Poonam.

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poonam,

We got insurance form Seven corners, U.S. We got in online and theyw ill send insurance card to your mail address in papaer material.

Regarding airlines, we used Air- India, as it will be comfortable food wise. But i hear these days not good services in that airlines, but while my parents &inlaws travelled, they didn't complaint.

But definetely my dad found that service wise its not up to the level compare to others airlines, as he travelled during my sister's delivery in Luf&british.

Regarding cost saving, we didn't ask but my parents got most of provisions in their and in inlaws luggages, so that we can save little provision wise. Then while booking tours, i took package where they gave if you buy 2tickets 1 free. Most of the places they covered, i packed lunch(lemon, chappathi)in disposal as they can;t have food outside.

Just see if you get any good deals for packages, in that way you can save little, but other than few things its difficult. Thatswhy i tell better plan ahead, if you can bear at the same a time, fine orlese break the trips.
    Always look in online if any coupons are available for the one which you are going to use, that way you can save little.
    One good things we felt was whereever they went they had company, we booked the package,dropped them at bus stand, gave my cell phone. As i was fullterm, after delivery i had infant, couldn;t accompany them to most of the places.

I didn;t have channels at home, but what i do i connect laptop to the t.v and on the recorded serial episodes daily, they was happy with that. My parents knew to surf themselves, they together sit and watch serial daily in laptop itself.

As it was summer, i took them to local malls,weekend to walmart, local shopping area. Lucky in our area we had bus, community van facility. So my fatherinlaw and dad take a van(just2$) go to Newyork which is just 35mts from ourplaces...spend time and come back.

Sometimes they take mom and mil too with them...

All the best

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. barbies

barbies Senior IL'ite

gOKUSHA, I'm planning on bringing my folks here as well. Thank you all for the details. I didn't know of this visitors insurance. Can u send a link please?

Also, did u all fill out an Affidavit of Support? And get letter from your employers etc?

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Barbies,

You are welcome. Do check this therad for more information.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...d-canada/1878-visitors-medical-insurance.html

Yes we filled affadavit for support document and mailed it in ordinary post which take exactly 7 business days to reach India.

You can include even Insurance amount you pay in India while you fill financial account in one particualr column in that form.

Yes we have got Employer verfication letter from company, mailit along with other documents.

All the best.

Last edited: May 23, 2010