1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Planning India travel

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neha1, Mar 28, 2014.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hello lovely ladies,

We are in the US and the plan is to visit family in India this Summer (June).

I am a little confused with this whole travel and stay planning. The last time DH and I visited was in Feb 2011. It is over 3 years now and we are certainly craving a meeting.

I don't know where to start. Sure it feels exciting that I get to see family but I am a little nervous too. Infact, we are thinking of travelling separately (no kids yet). What are your thoughts on separate India visits? I do prefer visiting the same time or may be a staggered visit ( I leave one week early and he joins me later or vice versa).

The items that make the planning complex are (1) Husband's H1B recently expired and he received the extension approval. So he needs to schedule and attend H1-B visa appointment (2) I changed my status from H4 to F-1, now completed my MBA and am working with the F-1 EAD option (3) Our families are in two different cities, same state (4). I need a visa to re-enter as well (4) Husband needs to be back by mid-june and my current consulting project is slated to end around that time.

Any suggestions from you experienced ladies? :)

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Neha,

It is good planning to travel early, and spend time with your family too.

Some responses to your question.
    1. H1B Stamping can be initiated when you are in US with the approval papers. That would save time. There are 2 interview timings now. So plan ahead.
    2 & 4) It would be a good idea to plan your trip after you have lined up the next project, that much I could share. I dont have much info on F1. Hope someone will share more inputs.
    3. One of you could travel early. Say you DH. He goes to his home spends time, and you land after a week, spend time at in-laws place, and couple of days at your place too, finish stamping processes, and he flies to US, you travel to your Mom's place, and fly later.. Vice versa is good too.

Cheers,
    JM

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    If you are on F1-EAD and your project is ending, I would find out from your school about how easy it will be for you to get an F-1 visa to re-enter. When we were students (several years ago) we were advised against traveling out of the US on OPT unless we had a valid F-1 visa. And certainly not without a job offer in hand.
    Also since your DH has H-1 which is a dual intent visa, make sure it will not affect your chances of getting the F-1.
    I am assuming that you are going to be on F-1. If you are changing to H-1 for yourself then it should be OK.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

JM –

Thanks for your suggestions here. I want to plan early and as much as possible as well.

H1B is for my husband, yes he will take care of the process. We were not aware that the process is two days now LOL. Thanks for the heads up.

About my work/project – what you say are my thoughts as well i.e., line up another job and then travel. We are thinking that my husband will travel first with a lead of 1.5 weeks. Then I will join him and then we will have one week time in common and I will spend another 1 week alone.

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Malstrom –

Thanks for the response. You are correct about the F-1 visa constraints. The rules are the same J
    I would need to find another job/project before I leave. I understand the risks involved in a visa interview while we are on OPT, I hope that I will be fine.

My husband’s is H-1 , which as you point out correctly is dual intent, and I am told is not a factor if I go for F-1. However, since I have completed my study there is a risk associated.

Alternately, I am thinking of travelling after I have started a new job/ just before I start. This means I will have to go separately and not with my husband. He can go in May and I can travel in July

1. Travel to Canada and do a F-1 visa interview there and then travel to india so that I will save time from my India trip. I don’t need to take a long India vacation if I do this.
    2. Go to India and complete my visa interview, family time etc.
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks ladies for your inputs. It really helps to discuss this and me writing down my thoughts here helps put things into perspective.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Just to update everyone - husband will be travelling in late may and I will be going separately once my job/status issue has been sorted out.

I'm looking forward to "me" time for 2 weeks!!!

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Good !! Enjoy your trip. :)