Planning a Baby on Studying, Need Insights please :)

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by confusedbrain, Sep 23, 2011.

1. confusedbrain

confusedbrain Bronze IL'ite

Hello EveryOne!! I've been reading many topics since a week, am already a fan of IndusLadies, and trust everyone's opinion/experiences :).

This is my first post, being married for 1.5 yrs, next in the sequel is pregnancy. I am studying my MS and am in the second semester. I expect to finish my Masters by December 2012. Next come my OPT period, where in I can start looking for jobs aggressively. I seem to be wanting babies more these days, though Ive tried to postpone this as much as possible earlier. After a thorough thought, I came up with a plan which is trying to fix giving birth to a baby by next December, by the time I graduate. And then, I can have my baby earlier, as well as take a complete advantage of my OPT. My Mom would be here to help me. My DH makes 95k. Taking into account my college fees and other miscellaneous expenses, can we afford the baby now? I plan to work or expect to get a job and will put in my full effort. I tried talking to DH, he says lets wait another year. But then the scenario becomes having a kid by next December or after 2 years, when I would be 30. I want to have a healthy stress free pregnancy, which is possible now, since my classes are only twice every week. I somehow imagine, first preganancy would be difficult in a newly found job or internship. How do I convince my husband? Is my plan making any sense. Or am I rushing?

Ladies and Friends!!! I need your precious advice/opinions, and experiences if you had any of this kind. Eagerly waiting for responses. Thank You :D

2. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Looks like your plan is perfect if it happens as you expect it to be. But never know the time table works until you start to ttc.

Mostly it may take 1 to 6 months to conceive if you are lucky or some time even more, we never know. Best scenario is always best. But plan for worst scenario. If u conceive by March your baby will be by Dec 2012.

You can start with good healthy diet now with a prenatal every day.

All the best.

cheers,
    sweety

3. confusedbrain

Hello Sweetyk, that was a good piece of information. Are you a Mom already? I am also worried about the finances, as of now my Husband is the only earner. Tough decision to make, especially when we try to plan. We would be ready to accept things as they are if they occur unplanned though :D

4. WhyMeGod

WhyMeGod Senior IL'ite

I had the exact same concern 2 years ago when I was deciding between my MS and the baby. I opted to study and start our ttc process simultaneously. Initially we went for a prenatal check up and wanted to be sure we both have no issues in terms of fertility. We were on ttc during the last 2 yrs of MS but it never clicked due to stress or some other reasons. I got pregnant the month after my graduation (Jun 11) and had a miscarriage 2 weeks back which was so devastating to both of us. I am definitely regretting my decision to study now, but in no way, I am advocating the same to you. I second Sweety's words. Always plan for the worst case scenario. From my experience getting a job and degree is a lot easier than having a baby ( relatively speaking). You have control over the decision you make regarding your career but very very few can plan having a baby at the right phase they wanted. I am learning it in a hard way. Also planning a baby should be a mutual concern and you should learn about the fertility factors related to age. At present, both should go for the prenatal check up and do all the tests like progesterone, thyroid, sperm analysis, PCOS etc. After the results are normal, do the talk with your husband and decide what is best for your future. Your financial position of your husband looks absolutely normal to me with respect to average income of a family of four in USA. Ladies who already have kids can pour in their thoughts regarding the same. If you are in F1, take complete advantage of RA/TA assistantships and try to get some funding if finance is your main concern. Choose your courses wisely which has more intense projects. This will highly help you in your job search in future. Good luck and lots of baby dust to you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  5. confusedbrain

Hello "WhyMeGod", am very sorry to know what you had to go through. I wish you loads of strength and positive energy. I really appreciate you giving me a detailed encouraging picture despite the situation you are in. I now understand its totally in the God's hands, no matter how well we plan. My husband is getting onto my track after 3 days of discussion :). I might visit the doctor next week to get an overall check up. Thank You Very Much, that information is definitely very helpful. My friendly piece of advice to you would be, please don't get depressed, I know its easier said than done. I wish you all the luck in future :).

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

confused brain,

this is EXACTLY my situation! I just posted a thread today on this....I too was thinking of graduating in DEc and planning the baby delivery before that :) so that I can utilize OPT and work later on....I don't want to give up either plan :)

Would you be willing to share your current thought process ?

7. Chailover

Chailover Junior IL'ite

Hi confused brain,

It is simply my view. Whatever it is don't postpone your pregnancy for finance or anything else. It is better to get pregnant when you are energetic and young ( below 30 yrs). I am not saying it is risk after 30 yrs. But from my experience, there will be healthier pregnancy when all the hormones are functioning correctly.

Regards.
    Chailover

8. confusedbrain

Hello Neha1, This seems to be a perfect timing for planning a baby. Some even told me, getting pregnant is easier on student visa than on working visa, because you can take classes online accordingly. If this doesnt apply to you ignore it ;P. One of my cousins started working recently, and is pregnant now. She says its being very difficult for her to gather so much of energy for morning sickness, cooking, working and so on.. Her opinion is that she wasted quality time when she didnt work(pregnancy would have been much easier and relaxing when not working), and you can take care of yourself very well when you are at home. But, I heard from another student in my class that its very hard to concentrate when you are studying and pregnant at the same time. And, internships and first jobs are more difficult to be found during the pregnancy. The employers simply do not want to hire pregnant women, because they wouldn't be willing to fore go compromise on their projects, and that our work wouldn't be more productive. Things would be different if we already are working with them for a considerable period. Finally, as Chailover said, its good to have a healthier pregnancy when we are young and energetic.

In my scenario, unfortunate to say, but had to postpone things. I might have to relocate in order to find internships and land into a first job. So, I do not want to deal with multiple things at the same time. I will first give jobs a try and then pregnancy. We also have some financial commitments back home.This would be hectic on my husband. If you are expecting EAD soon, you might consider planning pregnancy now. All the Best to you, and do drop me a line if you need more.

Cheers,
    confusedbrain.

9. confusedbrain

Hello Chailover, thank you for the valuable advice. It is indeed very true. I hate to say, we had to postpone things for now, but still plan to get things done before 30. Like in an year and a half. I am already starting to see the decreased functioning of my body :(. Joint pains, weakness, back aches and the list goes on... I can't imagine how I will be able to manage the house when I have kids :D.

Thanks,
    confusedbrain.