Places to visit in and around chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kv_shyamala, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishu
    Regarding kanchipuram, and tiruvannamalai...will give you details if you want.

regarding hotels, tiruvannamalai has some good hotels. others don't have so good ones..

If you are going with kids, better stock water, even food can be taken from home itself..with a little planning you can enjoy....

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    Great !!! No word to Thank you ..WOW u r so informative:).Amongst ur list I'm visiting chettipunyam n singaperumal kovil.Other places that you have mentioned will be on the next visit, god willing.

Please do post abt thiruvannmalai n thiruthani n abt sholinghur too...I'm covering chettipunyam,singaperumal kovil,thiruvannmalai , thiruthani n sholinghur.

Also if u know some good hotels n accomodation at thiruvannmalai n thiruthani please post it.

Thank you! Thank you!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey aishu22,

I was thinking since it is a new car and you want to go out on your car...i feel the ECR road is worth driving towards pondicherry. the road is too good.
    You can visit mailam,auroville,ashram, beaches, manakula vinayakar temple and also the navagraha temple on the way.
    this is just an suggestion...maybe next time.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    Yah its our Brand New car.We planned to go to Pondy 3 times and every time it was a spoilsport.So we decided n put it off for sometime.But will definitely go!! This trip we want to dedicate sometime visitng temples.So that's the plan.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

So coming back to your query...

Sholinghur....The Stone hill which is the abode of Lord Yoga Narasimha Swami is of 750 feet height with a step of 1305.The incornation of Lord Narayana in the famous form of Yoga Narasimha who gave mukthi to Prahalatha give Darsan to all and fulfill all the wishes of the devotees.

Yoga Anjeneyar
    It is a pleasant sight to see the Lord in the Yoga form. And it is said that it is a rare darshan of Anjaneyar in the yogic mudra.

There is a small window opposite to Lord Narasimha's Shrine at Big Hill, through which the Lord give darsan to Yoga Anjeneya at Small Hill. Yoga Narasimhar is facing east and the Small Hill is at the eastern side of the Big Hill.

It is just 27 K.m. away from Arakkonam on the Bangalore-Madras Train Route.110 from chennai.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Tiruttani....

One of the most sacred and most beautiful shrines on a hill about 700 feet high, the Fifth among the Six Padai Veedu shrines, Tiruttani, rightly called the abode of peace gives solace to the devotees either for their physical needs or for their spiritual pursuits. None less than Sri Rama, an Incarnation of the Lord Narayana, is said to have worshipped Subrahmanya here. The most graceful language Tamil had its origin here when Lord Muruga revealed it to the seer Agasthyar.

Situated on the Tiruttani (or Tiruttanikai malai) hill, 84 km from Chennai, the temple is reached by a flight of 365 steps representing every day of the year.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Tiruvannamalai is one of the greatest Saivite shrines in India, on a sprawling 24 acre temple campus, drawing hundreds of thousands of pilgrims every full moon. The hill here is considered to be a manifestation of Siva.
    To be born in Thiruvarur, to die in Kasi, to see Thillai, to think about Thiruvannamalai bestows liberation; hence this sthala naturally is of so much importance.

Girivalam or Circumambulation :

The hill is the Lord who was the Prime cause of a dispute between Brahma and Vishnu who were unable to find the beginning or end of Him. It is said that devas and saints also follow us invisibly. And sometimes, do help us personally (that is another story that happened in our family...)
    We first come to Indra Tirtham.
    then the Samadhi of Seshadri Swamigal is seen.
    He was known for his spiritual eminence and for his spiritual aspiration to reunion with god through prayer, chanting and meditation (austerities) . Very little has been written on Seshadri swamigal. . He is very humble specific in begging food from poorest and often found eating left over at dustbin. He is the greatest saint of 20th century who believed in ascetic to reunion with god. It is also said he introduced ramanar to the world.
    Next to this are Ramana ashram, the places where he sat for penance, the seats he occupied while meditating , are all there.
    Ramana Maharshi (Maha or great, Rishi or Enlightened Being) was the awe inspiring sage who's presence graced the renowned sacred Arunachala hill during much of the 20th century. He was known throughout India and to many in the rest of the world as the silent sage whose peaceful presence and powerful gaze changed the lives of the many who came into his presence.
    In the same street, is the temple of saint Manickavachakar who has given us Thiruvembavai and Thiruvemmanai .
    While performing Girivalam there is a particular place where we see a Nandi in the top of the hill that has been formed naturally

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

SATHANUR DAM:

Located 45 minutes (35 kilometer) driving time from Tiruvannamalai. Dam has been built across the river “Pennar” , it is nice place to chill out. Well maintained green foam park and huge trees. There is also a mini zoo with crocodile farm children enjoys it. Government run public bus transportation service is available for 30 minutes from Tiruvannamalai bus stand.

GINGEE FORT :

It is also nearby. and is a famous fort. It is 37km from tiruvannamalai.. Gingee fort was declared a National Monument in the year 1921 and is presently under the control of the Archeological Department.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hotels in tiruvannamalai......

• Hotel Arunai Anantha(phone 04175 237 275 ) Upmarket 3-star accommodation 2km outside of town but near to arunachala mountain
    • Aruna Lodge (91-04175-323/291). There is a good view of the temple from the roof. It is the best budget place in town.
    • Udipi Brindhavan Hotel (91-04175-22693), 57 Anna Salai, has very basic rooms with bath for Rs 80/100 and A/C rooms for Rs 325.
    • Park Hotel is a clean place with basic rooms for Rs 80/100. Rooms have big windows with a view of the temple.
    • Hotel Trishul (91-04175-222/2219), 6 Kanakaraya Mudai, 3 minutes from the temple, has rooms for Rs 550/650 and Rs 850/950 with A/C.

(Thanks to my travel agent friend who sent me this email...)

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    You are ROCKING!!!! My god before i browse some other webpage, u put in a new post.My god! Thanks so much for all ur efforts. This is gonna be very helpful for me for this trip.

Thanks a ton.Will def give F.B after my trip.All the credit will go to you :)