Places to visit in and around chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kv_shyamala, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Ami,

Yes heard that elagiri is a nice place...but have not been there.. (when i wanted to get details...got..from different sources..). the government of tamilnadu ttdc offers packaged tours to elagiri. It is 25kms from the jolarpet juction on the chennai/coimbatore route.

IN and Around Elagiri....

One can reach Alangayam, situated at the foot of the Elagiri hills. From Vaniyambadi, buses ply to Alangayam, from where a ghat road leads to the top of Javvad Hills surrounded by thick sandal wood forests. This steep road leads to Kavalur, where an Astronomical Observatory is situated. By trekking, one can reach the southern part of the Javvad Hills & reach Polur, a taluk headquarters, which is about 30 kms from Temple Town Thiruvannamalai.

The Summer Festival is conducted in the month of May-June at Elagiri Hills, all of which are beautiful Hill Stations in Tamil Nadu. Cultural programmes, adventure sports, boat races, flower shows and fruits shows add to the splendour.

It is a two day vacation spot (I feel..)

There is a govt. run botanical farm.. at Athanvur and Nilavur have varieties of fruit-bearing trees and plants which bear flowers of various shapes. There is a puganur lake an artificial lake promoted by ttdc. then there is a government run herb farm similar to the the one near top slips.

Jalagampaarai waterfalls, situated 17 Kms from Tirupattur, is a fine picnic spot where the deity is in the form of VEL (a kind of spear). The area available for bathing is 18 sq.m. A temple in the shape of 'Shivalinga" with the deity of Lord Muruga inside, is situated below the waterfalls surrounding an area of 5 acres. A children park is situated within the garden.

Hi thanks for making me search for one more place...it is definitely an added boon to know more places ......
    <table width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
    </td><td align="center">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Ami,

Yes heard that elagiri is a nice place...but have not been there.. (when i wanted to get details...got..from different sources..). the government of tamilnadu ttdc offers packaged tours to elagiri. It is 25kms from the jolarpet juction on the chennai/coimbatore route.

IN and Around Elagiri....

One can reach Alangayam, situated at the foot of the Elagiri hills. From Vaniyambadi, buses ply to Alangayam, from where a ghat road leads to the top of Javvad Hills surrounded by thick sandal wood forests. This steep road leads to Kavalur, where an Astronomical Observatory is situated. By trekking, one can reach the southern part of the Javvad Hills & reach Polur, a taluk headquarters, which is about 30 kms from Temple Town Thiruvannamalai.

The Summer Festival is conducted in the month of May-June at Elagiri Hills, all of which are beautiful Hill Stations in Tamil Nadu. Cultural programmes, adventure sports, boat races, flower shows and fruits shows add to the splendour.

It is a two day vacation spot (I feel..)

There is a govt. run botanical farm.. at Athanvur and Nilavur have varieties of fruit-bearing trees and plants which bear flowers of various shapes. There is a puganur lake an artificial lake promoted by ttdc. then there is a government run herb farm similar to the the one near top slips.

Jalagampaarai waterfalls, situated 17 Kms from Tirupattur, is a fine picnic spot where the deity is in the form of VEL (a kind of spear). The area available for bathing is 18 sq.m. A temple in the shape of 'Shivalinga" with the deity of Lord Muruga inside, is situated below the waterfalls surrounding an area of 5 acres. A children park is situated within the garden.

Hi thanks for making me search for one more place...it is definitely an added boon to know more places ......

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

HI all,

Last week lot of our guest had visited daskhin chitra and the orchid farm...they said it was too good....I missed going because the children had school....

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Tada (..the last one on the andhra border..60km from chennai border)

There is a beautiful fall there..one of our friends had visited. it is for the sturdy, healthy and adventurous types...

Tada is on the way to kalahasti...coyembedu, anna nagar, red hills, karanodai, padi which leads to srikalahasti, towards nellore...
    heard that you have to go deep inside the village to reach the falls...but have to be fully equipped with food, water when you plan the trip....

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the detailed info., Are you working for the tourism dept?? cant believe the details you have in the finger tips.

When I came to chennai a few months back, I was breaking my head where to go; too bad, now only I am looking at this useful & wonderful thread. But, from next time onwards, can utilise these info., and dont have to ask anyone where to go!!

Thank you so much, Shanvy.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi ami,

No. it is just that i gather and most of the time retain some info in memory, and it gets piqued when it gets prodded....so that is how i told about elagiri. and more over, there is an article on tourism of the undiscovered places that comes on and off in THE HINDU. Actually i am collecting details for personal use..thought when shared here will be more useful..

will put a few more that can be good picnic spots

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Good job, shanvy and keep going up... Hereafter, will visit this thread regularly becoz of the info., you all have been providing.

Bye.

8. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Chennai Ilites
    my husband has some work in chennai for one week so we are travellling to India for one week and I want to stay with him in chennai for that week after that we will both take leave for next 2 weeks and go to hyderabad.

I think I will have to do some of my shopping in chennai this time
    can u pls suggest me the places to get some good stuff like sarees, salwars, skirts, jeans and shirts.
    I have never been to chennai before and I cant speak tamil so I know it will be difficult for me to go around so I need ur guidance.
    and we are planning to visit Tirupati from chennai can u pls tell me how long it takes to go to tirupati from chennai ..and wat would be the cost if we book a taxi for the complete trip to and from chennai.
    Pls guide me

thanks in advance
    Jaishree

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanvy & Fellow I'Lites,
    We are planning for a Trip in our new car for 2 days in and around Chennai(300kms) max.From all your previous posts, i have shortlisted Elagiri/Tirutaani/Tiruvannamalai etc.

Does any one know abt chettipunyam - Hayagrivar temple?Can i get more inputs on other places too- it can be temples are just tourists place.

PS:We dunt want to go tot hill station kinda due to the climate.

Thank you!

10. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Few more temples in chennai not to be missed;

Anjaneyaar Temple Nanganallur ...the idol is 32 ft high
    Vadapalni murugan temple..near vadapalni bus terminus
    Shiva Vishnu temple Tnagar
    Thirumalai Thirupathi Devasthanam Temple, Venkatnarayana Road, T.Nagar .
    Kaaraneeswarar Temple, Saidapet
    Luz Anjaneyaar Temple, Mylapore
    Mangaad Amman koil in porur
    Ananthaa Padmanabha Swaamy Temple, Adayar