1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pinnacle Of Awareness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Got it. I was confused, hence meddled. But still I hope I can stalk a thing or two in converse on how to delve into prior and bitter experiences and fear about the unpredictable future to at least pass off as a "normal" being. In my current zippy state, people almost take me for a psychotic that I fail to exhibit tendencies to delve and fear likewise. I still feel there is lot for me to learn by reading your articles to empathise with normative cues of the ruminant human condition and not disclose my chimp paradox. At least, it will help me to deal with the paranoia of my Mom around my jaunty living. She cribs: Why are you not serious about life? I never grasped that soulful solemnity she demanded of me. I think she meant, why don't you fret your past and worry your future. Tell you, it will make my Mom very happy to see me fret and worry from time to time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Generation Gap, it is! Above 60s are from a very different environment with rigor and discipline to plan the future. They are used to disciplined lifestyle of being conservative in spending and saving a lot for future. They are used to getting academic degrees at a certain age, getting married at a particular age, building a family at a particular age and retiring at a particular age. The new generation is very different. They have different ambitions and different lifestyles and understanding their needs is a different ball game.

Your innovative thinking and continuous learning attitude would take you far and beyond the goals you set for yourself. It is my view, with such attitude, everything will fall in place to add to the euphoria you are already experiencing. It is not a wishful thinking but that is a modern age we are living in. Wake up and do what you feel is elevating.

Viswa

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

May be.

Between us, despite the temperamental differences, the vast and radical polarity in our tastes and creed and general sport, I do feel we both are similar, in that, we are inexorably passionate and curious about our explorations in life. You are sober and dignified. I am silly and croaky. But, based on your writing, I sense that you excite away as I do in your own inalienable way. We are different but not too different.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

There are some similarities in taste. Cooking delicious and tasty food of different varieties is one of them. I also like to read new and previously unknown subjects and such exploration excites me as well. I enjoy the company of variety of people and work excites me the most.

Viswa

5. Shja

Shja New IL'ite

I do try to be aware of my feelings but somethimes an action needs to be done for which feelings are the fuel. Isn’t it?

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

In that case, in an attempt to reset the discussion to the titular intent, it's time for a Sufi poem that resonates with your original post. I came across the reference to this poem when I was exploring Salman Rushdie's Grimus novel. The poem is "The Conference of the Birds" by the Persian poet Farid ud-Din Attar. The wikipedia entry is self-contained and a nice read compared to other belabouring texts.

In the poem, the birds of the world gather to decide who is to be their sovereign, as they have none. The hoopoe, the wisest of them all, suggests that they should find the legendary Simorgh. The hoopoe leads the birds, each of whom represent a human fault which prevents human kind from attaining enlightenment.

The hoopoe tells the birds that they have to cross seven valleys in order to reach the abode of Simorgh. These valleys are as follows:

1. Valley of the Quest, where the Wayfarer begins by casting aside all dogma, belief, and unbelief.
    2. Valley of Love, where reason is abandoned for the sake of love.
    3. Valley of Knowledge, where worldly knowledge becomes utterly useless.
    4. Valley of Detachment, where all desires and attachments to the world are given up. Here, what is assumed to be “reality” vanishes.
    5. Valley of Unity, where the Wayfarer realizes that everything is connected and that the Beloved is beyond everything, including harmony, multiplicity, and eternity.
    6. Valley of Wonderment, where, entranced by the beauty of the Beloved, the Wayfarer becomes perplexed and, steeped in awe, finds that he or she has never known or understood anything.
    7. Valley of Poverty and Annihilation, where the self disappears into the universe and the Wayfarer becomes timeless, existing in both the past and the future.

When the birds hear the description of these valleys, they bow their heads in distress; some even die of fright right then and there. But despite their trepidations, they begin the great journey. On the way, many perish of thirst, heat or illness, while others fall prey to wild beasts, panic, and violence. Finally, only thirty birds make it to the abode of Simorgh. In the end, the birds learn that they themselves are the Simorgh; the name “Simorgh” in Persian means thirty (si) birds (morgh). They eventually come to understand that the majesty of that Beloved is like the sun that can be seen reflected in a mirror. Yet, whoever looks into that mirror will also behold his or her own image.

I liked the imagery in the poem. Also, perhaps, at the pinnacle of awareness we identify a self-referential fulfilment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    messedup and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Wow! The entire philosophy in one Sufi poem! It is amazing to read. Now you triggered me to go look for more such poems that is translated into text in a fashion I could understand. The birds appears to be a common reference to many philosophical interpretation. Even in Sanatana Dharma, the body/mind/intellect complex is known as the bird of action and the Atma (Consciousness) is known as the bird of witness.

I wonder whether we will find nothing inside and the entire construction of what we claim as "We" will disappear if we keep peeling it like an onion. Here is my favorite sentence I have written so many times in IL. How do we know we are in the right track towards enlightenment? Our mind is like our shadow and if it is following us, it means we are walking toward enlightenment and if the shadow is ahead of us, it means we are walking away from the enlightenment.

P.S.: I am looking forward to your comments on my snippet "Influencers" as your thought process is very unique and valuable. :)

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

@Shja,

It is a very common human response. Overcoming emotions is a life-long exercise to make us feel better.

Viswa