Pilgrimage for tamils;does it exist?

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by nalanda, Feb 12, 2012.

1. nalanda

nalanda New IL'ite

I see muslims go to haj at least once in their life as a pilgrimage. I know christians go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem.What do tamils do for pilgrimage or does it exist in tamil context.As a child I have never heard any elders approach this subject.Does pancha bootha sthalangal qualify and is that it for us.I would be most appreciative of any thoughts on this matter.nandri
    nalanda

2. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

For Hindus, it is a trip to Kasi and Rameswaram, atleast once in their life time. For those who are physically and financially sound, a trip to Mount Kailash and Manasarovar is the ultimate pilgrimage.

But, a trip to any ancient temple, with piety, is pilgrimage for us, because, unlike Christianity and Islam, which has a place of origin, a trip to which is a pilgrimage for them, Hinduism does not have any place of origin. A trip to any temple visited by or sung by great people can be called a pilgrimage for us.

3. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

You should go to your Kula Deivam temple once in a year.
    I am from Thirunelveli, our side people will visit the temple on every year of ponguni uthiram.

4. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

hi has mahanu told Hindus dont have particular pilgrimage

can visit Kasi and Rameswaram atleast once in their life time
    Mount Kailash and Manasarovar is the place must visit in your life time
    apart from that people go to Thirupathi............In Sanatana Dharma we have lot of holy places u can visit any of that place.